Baked moong dal halwa ? is it possible ? well … yess it is ! Holi and Diwali are the two favorite festivals of us Indians. Not only because of the message these festival spread but also because of the traditional celebration method. Food is the center of attraction on these occasions. Moong dal ka Halwa is a pet dish in most of the Indian houses during these festival.
It takes around 1.5 to 2 hours if you cook it the old traditional way , roasting the moong dal batter is quiet a task and leaves you tired. It also requires loads of ghee and leaves us with a feeling of guilt after eating.
Here is a how you can endure baked moong dal halwa without calling in the guilt. And a simple method for cooking it in less than 30 mins
|Health Factor||High Protein|
|Prep. Time||10 min|
|Cook Time||30 min|
Baked Moong dal halwa
Ingredients (Makes 5 serving)
- Skinless green gram dal/ moong dal (soaked overnight) – 250 gms
- Sugar (you can use sugar substitutes) -200 gms
- Saffron – 1 pinch
- Ghee -50 gms (around 3 Tbsp)
- Mava / khoya – 100 gms
- Sliced almonds – 8 no’s
- Boiling Hot water - 1 glass
Instructions for baked Moong Dal Halwa
1: wash the soaked moong dal/ green gram dal and remove excess water. Grind it in a mixer to a thin paste.
2: Add 1 Tbsp of ghee to this paste and microwave for 5 mins. Remove, mix it with a spatula and again microwave for 5 mins. Repeat this process one more time. It will lose all its moisture and will harden like cake.
3: Now put this cake in the mixer and grind it. The dal is completely roasted. The only problem here is , although the dal is roasted, but it still looks fresh yellow in color, as microwaving does not change its color to golden brown.
4. Now in a pan add 2 Tbsp of ghee and roast this mix for 5 mins on high flame, so that the mixture gets its golden brown color. And then add khoya / mava to it and roast for another 2 min.
5. Add boiling hot water, sugar and kesar and mix till it gets the proper consistency.
6 Decorate the baked moong dal halwa with sliced almonds
7 Baked moong dal halwa is ready for guilt free eating !