Apple cider vinegar is slowly gaining the glam lights because of the numerous health benefits it provides. We have earlier discussed the Benefits of Apple cider vinegar on kidney. Here is how you can use apple cider vinegar for hair and scalp health.
Image :Copyright: samotrebizan / 123RF Stock Photo
“You know, my genes have the final say. My mom and my grandmom had the most beautiful hair”. “Oh my God, the pollution in this city is taking a toll on my hair health”. “Just feel this climate, it’s so gloomy out there. I am literally having a bad hair day”. “I think I am not getting enough vitamins or proteins through my diet”. “I am so much stressed these days. I am experiencing dramatic hair loss”. “My busy schedule does not allow me to take adequate care of my hair and my hair is losing is glow gradually”.
“Damn, why did I dare to try the new shampoo, my hair has dried like a stack of hay”. “The water is so bad that it is causing my hair to turn grey”. “Oh gosh, I forgot to apply conditioner today after shampooing. I am sure my hair will look like a messy crow’s nest today and now I fear to run my finger through my hair.” “I can clearly see those white flakes on my hair. I don’t know how I can attend today’s party in my black gown.” “My hair lost its vigor after I gave birth”. “I need to use hairsprays and other styling products as my profession demands it. And I have to pay a big price for it.”
Different people have different stories to tell and we’re sure you have your own story too. Whatever you story is, one fact remains common for all. You do not get adequate time to maintain a proper hair care routine or you are not aware of the treatments that can solve most of your hair health issues. In this article, we would update you about the benefits of apple cider vinegar for hair and scalp health and how you can make the most out of some really easy apple cider vinegar-based hair care treatments.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair Health
Let us throw some light on 10 proven benefits of apple cider vinegar for hair
Image : Copyright: denis83 / 123RF Stock Photo
1. Moisturizes naturally: Apple cider vinegar is a natural hair conditioner just like baking soda that serves as a natural shampoo. Who knew that the best natural hair care products would come from your kitchen. (Read – Benefits of Baking soda on hair)
2. Improves porosity: The ability of your hair to absorb and retain moisture measured in terms of its porosity. Apple cider vinegar is acidic and the acidity seals the hair cuticles, which in turn improves porosity. This allows the hair to retain more moisture.
3. Tackles tangles: When you rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar, the surface of your hair will become flat which would allow you to comb your hair smoothly.
4. Stimulates hair growth: Apple cider vinegar treats hair loss and has been found to be effective in promoting hair growth in some cases.
5. Cleanses effectively: In combination with baking soda, apple cider vinegar serves as a powerful natural cleanser.
6. Clarifies naturally: Apple cider vinegar removes product build-up effectively, without getting rid of the essential natural oils and moisture.
7. Balances pH: Hair has a slightly acidic pH that varies between 4.5 and 5.5. This is close to the pH of an apple cider vinegar rinse (pH 2.9). This rinse helps in restoring the pH back to the level where it is supposed to remain after shampooing.
8. Reduces frizz: When you use apple cider vinegar with baking soda, the combination works wonders by adding glow to the strands, reducing frizz and sealing hair cuticles.
9. Heals dry, flaky scalp: Apple cider vinegar demonstrates antibacterial and antifungal functions which help to heal a dry, itchy scalp.
10. Prevents split ends: Apple cider vinegar ACV has the ability to soften hair cuticle, which prevents split ends and the consequent hair breakage.
How to make the most out of an apple cider vinegar rinse?
You can also make a natural apple cider vinegar rinse on your own. Take one cup of water and two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mix them in a spray bottle. If you wish to prepare the solution in a larger quantity, use the same proportion. For example, mix one-third cup of apple cider vinegar with one liter of water.
Apple Cider Vinegar for scalp health as an Anti-Dandruff Agent
Most chemicals that you use normally to get rid of dandruff fail to address the cause of dandruff formation and produce a host of side effects. Dandruffs are caused by the secretion of excessive oil in the scalp and by the growth of bacteria and fungus. Apple cider vinegar’s anti-inflammatory, anti- bacterial, and anti-fungal properties fight scalp infections and this way, they address the root cause of dandruff. You can see prominent positive results a week after you start using an apple cider vinegar rinse depending on the severity of your symptoms and how you apply the preparation.
How to prepare a highly effective anti-dandruff apple cider vinegar formula?
Prepare a solution with one-fourth cup of apple cider vinegar, a cup of distilled water, five drops of tea tree oil, juice from half lemon, and half teaspoonful of olive oil. Pour the solution into a spray bottle and mix well. Spray on your hair and scalp.
Enhance Your Treatment
When your hair starts drying, it may smell bad. Obviously, it is not a great experience to find your hair smelling like vinegar. However, the smell will subside once your hair becomes dry completely. Repeat this treatment once or twice weekly. You can add a few drops of essential oils to the preparation or you may even add herbs such as lavender to get the effects of aroma therapy or rosemary to promote hair growth. If you are using herbs, make sure that you have kept them infused in water for quite some time.
Selection of Apple cider vinegar for hair
First and foremost, you need to make sure that you use the right quality of apple cider vinegar. Go for the organic, raw, unpasteurized, and unfiltered form of apple cider vinegar. This is quite different from the forms found in stores. Your apple cider vinegar should contain the “mother” of vinegar which is characterized by a hazy matter that remains visible at the bottom of the bottle. This matter has a high content of beneficial bacteria, enzymes, pectin, and trace minerals that make apple cider vinegar beneficial for hair health. Shake the bottle each time before use so as to allow the ingredients to be distributed uniformly.
You May be interested in reading –
Dilution / Quantity measures to use Apple cider vinegar for hair
Many people would love to opt for a preparation with higher concentration of apple cider vinegar and this holds particularly true for people with oily hair as apple cider vinegar provides better results on oily hair compared to dry hair. Feeling puzzled about what dilution level suits you the most? Begin with the lowest dilution level and do some trials to find out what works well for your hair-type. Shampoo your hair initially. Then apply the preparation on your hair and scalp. Massage gently. Wait for a couple of minutes. Next, rinse your hair carefully. Your apple cider vinegar preparation will serve as your natural moisturizer and you do not need to apply any conditioner. Be cautious and prevent the preparation from getting into your eyes as it may cause irritation.
Now that you know about the tremendous benefits of Apple cider vinegar for hair and scalp, its about time to stop complaining about your hair and start taking care of it.