Benefits of Badaam are many. We are all aware that Badaam is healthy. The write up below will help you understand how badaam benefits your health and what are these benefits of badaam .
Roasted almonds, chocolate coated almonds, almond cake, almond pudding, vanilla-flavored milk with almond sprinkled in it or a handful of almonds and raisins are just a few of the delicious snacking options that you can try out using almonds. Almonds are important ingredients in the Indian cuisine and can be used in innumerable ways to create unique recipes.
The Indian cuisine is mainly noted for its ingredients that have high medicinal value. benefits of badaam are just a part of it. Almonds are known to address a wide variety of health conditions including coughs, anemia, respiratory disorders, constipation, impotency, heart disorders, and diabetes. Almonds are used widely in hair care, dental care, and skin care. Almonds are mainly grown in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon, Israel, Turkey, and Syria.before seeing the benefits of badaam let us first see the nutrition in badaam.
# Nutrition in Badaam / Almonds
Almonds are rich sources of vitamin E, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, and iron and they have high amounts of copper, selenium, niacin, and zinc as well.
|Amount per 100 gms of Almonds|
|Nutrient||Amount||% daily value|
|Carbs||22 gms||7 %|
|Fiber||12 gms||48 %|
|Protein||21 gms||42 %|
|Fats||49 gms||75 %|
|Vitamin E||26.2 mg||175%|
|Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)||1.014 mg||85 %|
|Zinc||3.08 mg||32 %|
|Manganese||2.285 mg||109 %|
*Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Here are a few health benefits of almonds.
Health Benefits of Badaam / Almonds :
- Boosts Brain Power: Almonds promote the development of the human brain. Almonds are known to boost intellectual level and are considered to be an essential part of diet of growing children. No wonder why many mothers give soaked almonds to their children early in the morning. Research has proved that almonds as well as almond oil support the overall health of the nervous system. It contains riboflavin and L-carnitine which are brain nutrients and they boost brain activity while reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Regulates Cholesterol Levels: One of the most important benefits of badaam is seen on heart health in totality. Daily intake of almonds increases the level of HDL (good) cholesterol in the body and reduces the level of harmful, low density lipoproteins. This helps the body to maintain a healthy cholesterol level.
- Boosts Heart Health: Almonds contain protein, potassium, magnesium and mono-unsaturated fats which are known for their positive effects on heart health. Vitamin E, present in almonds, is an effective antioxidant that reduces the risk of heart diseases. Badaam also contain magnesium which fights the risks of heart attacks. Almonds reduce the impact of C-reactive proteins that cause inflammation in the arterial walls. Almonds have high amounts of folic acid which helps to reduce the formation of fatty plaque in the arterial walls. Additionally, the flavonoids present in almond skin create a strong combination with vitamin E which helps fight arterial damage.
- Promotes Bone Health: Almonds contain high amounts of phosphorus which helps to strengthen bones and teeth. It helps in reducing the risk of age-related bone conditions such as osteoporosis.
Image : Copyright: endomedion / 123RF Stock Photo
- Strengthens The Immune System: Almonds contain high amounts of alkali metals which boost the strength of the immune system. Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant which eliminates the free radicals from the body. These free radicals are responsible for the onset of chronic diseases and organ malfunction.
- Promotes Skin Health: The vitamin E content in almonds promotes skin health and almond oil massages are recommended for newborn babies. Almond milk is also added to some soaps, because of almond’s well-established reputation of improving the complexion of skin.
- Reduces Inflammation: Essential fatty acids reduce inflammation. The body cannot synthesize essential fatty acids on its own and so we need to get them through our diet. Almonds contain two essential fatty acids namely linoleic acids and linolenic acids which work to reduce the levels of bad LDL cholesterol and promote skin and hair health.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Almonds contain potassium which regulates the blood pressure levels in the body. Almonds have a low sodium content which prevents frequent fluctuation of blood pressure levels.
- Boosts Energy: Almonds contain manganese, copper, and Riboflavin which are responsible for boosting the body’s metabolic rate and producing energy. If you are travelling, carry a handful of almonds and you will have everything you want to keep you moving.
- Reduces the Risk of Cancer: Almonds aid in the smoother movement of food through the colon, preventing build-up and reducing the risk of colon cancer.
- Prevents Diabetes: Almonds also help to reduce the reactionary rise in glucose and insulin levels after meals. This modulation offers protection from the dangerous spikes in blood sugar following a large meal.Similar effect are seen after a meal with an unexpectedly high level of sugar in it. Almonds help regulate the absorption and processing of glucose.It helps by making the entire process much smoother, and subsequently safer.
- Supports Pregnancy: Almonds contain high amounts of folic acid which prevents the risk of birth defects in newborns. Folic acid also promotes cell growth and tissue formation. Doctors recommend the consumption of folic acid to pregnant women. Almonds have plenty of folic acid that keeps pregnant women and their fetuses healthy.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Unsweetened almond milk is an effective ingredient if you are looking to lose weight. Almonds contain mono-unsaturated fats and dietary fiber which keep you full thereby preventing you from taking excess calories. Studies have claimed that obese people are more likely to move towards their weight-loss goals with an almond-rich, low-calorie diet.
Studies have also revealed that regular consumption of almonds helps individuals to retain their ideal weight. This is especially useful for individuals who experience frequent weight fluctuations. The fiber present in almonds promotes bowel movements which again aids in weight loss and allows the body to get rid of toxins.
- Prevents Constipation: The high fiber content in almonds prevents constipation. However, it is important for you to drink lots of water to accelerate your digestive process. Sufficient water intake maximizes the beneficial effects of almonds. You do not need to consume too much of almonds daily, the amount of fiber present in 4 or 5 almonds is enough to support regular bowel movements and prevent constipation.
End Note: Almonds have a negative character as well and I thought of highlighting this at the end.
Almonds contain oxalates which can cause crystallization, inviting a host of different issues and impacting heath in undesirable ways. People suffering from kidney or gallbladder issues should not consume almonds unless prescribed by a qualified dietician. Benefits of badaam can be availed by having 4-5 soaked almonds early in the morning on empty stomach.