There is a large range of moisturisers available in the market. The advertisements are attractive but confusing. Here are some tips on how to choose the right moisturiser for your skin. To help your skin look soft, smooth, and healthy, you need to nourish it with moisturisers on a regular basis. Moisturisers keep your skin supple and soft and lock the moisture in, preventing their evaporation.here are some tips on How to choose the right moisturizer for your skin ?
How to choose the right moisturiser for your skin –
Your decision on choice of moisturiser should be based on:
1. Content of the moisturiser
2. Your skin type.
How to choose moisturiser based on its contents :-
There are many ingredients that help the moisturisers carry out their functions effectively. Let us look at some of them:
This is the main ingredient present in moisturisers. Glycerin, being a humectant, helps draw out the water from the atmosphere and helps your skin stay moist. Glycerin is available as an odorless gel at most chemists stores. When you have run out of your moisturiser, mixing a little glycerin with water and applying it on your skin helps.
• Hyaluronic Acid:
Many skin products have this ingredient in them. Hyaluronic acid also works similarly to glycerin, in that it draws the moisture from the atmosphere and helps the skin remain soft and supple. Hyaluronic acid is naturally present in human tissues and experts say that it can trap 1000 times its own weight of water. This product is used in burn wards of hospitals to help with quicker healing in burn victims.
• Jojoba oil and other essential oils:
Skin requires a good balance of oil and water. While water hydrates the skin, oil keeps the water inside and prevents its escape from the skin surface. Oil also protects your skin from other elements. Jojoba and squalane oil are two oils that are used in skincare products. However, people with oily skin should go slow on oil-based moisturisers.
How to choose moisturizers based on different skin types
To understand what is good for your skin, know your skin type. It goes without saying that what works for one type of skin, may not effectively work for other types. Broadly, skin types are classified into three types; oily, dry, and normal. Apart from this, other categories are sensitive, mature, etc. According to your skin type, here are some tips to look for moisturiser according to the skin type:
• Oily skin: People with this skin type are more prone to developing acne and should avoid moisturisers that have mineral oil, waxes, shea butter, lanolin, etc.
• Dry skin: Dry skin people should choose thicker moisturisers with antioxidants, dimethicone, or petrolatum in them which help to keep the skin hydrated for long period of time.
• Normal skin: The skin of normal-skinned people are neither too dry nor oily. They can use water-based, non-greasy formulas of moisturisers that contain cyclomethicone or cetyl alcohol.
• Sensitive skin: Sensitive skin gets easily irritated and may develop redness and rashes. Select moisturisers that contain ingredients such as chamomile or aloe vera that are soothing for the skin. Avoid moisturizers containing acids and potential allergens.You may be interested in reading about how to care for sensitive skin.
• Mature skin: As you age, your natural capacity for keeping the skin supple decreases and you require extra help with keeping your skin soft. Oil-based moisturisers containing antioxidants and alpha-hydroxy acids work well to prevent formation of wrinkles, flaking, and scaling. Here are some anti-ageing foods you can use.
Some tips on How to use the right moisturiser for your skin –
• Ideal time to apply moisturiser is while stepping out of your bath. Just pat dry and apply moisturizer.
• Apply moisturizer on your hands every time you wash your hands.
• Use two types of moisturizers; heavier one for your legs and hands, and milder one for your face.
You may be interested in reading benefits of beetroot juice , Papaya and carrot juice on skin and how to tone up skin naturally .
Regular application of a moisturiser helps keep the skin moist and supple. Sometimes, you may have to experiment with different types of moisturisers to arrive at one that works best for you. Now that you know how to choose the right moisturiser for your skin, great skin is all you have to look forward to.