How to lose weight? Oh come on! Every other person in the world seems to be on a quest for an answer to weight loss. Most people know that lifestyle changes can help them. But are we ready to accept these changes to lose weight? It requires great motivation to actually get there and get losing. Those who know the key might lack motivation, and there are those who are motivated and all charged up and looking out for a perfect plan to follow for weight loss. Tips that may work on man, may not work that well on a woman. So dear readers, if you are looking for an answer on “How to lose weight?” you will find your answer in this article.
How to lose weight
- Reality check – If you want to know how to lose weight, first you must decide how much you really need to lose. When you begin a weight loss program, the first step is to know where you are stand on your BMI (body mass index) scale. Calculate your BMI. Aim to be healthy, not skinny. And set a realistic goal. The label “size 0 “does not stand anywhere near “healthy”.
- Calculate your requirements – A lot of people completely give up on eating. Or pass the day on just liquids or even a single cucumber. Such kind of crash dieting only leads to failure. All you lose is your confidence and motivation, and not weight. The right approach is to calculate your BMR “(Minimum calories required by your body to carry on the important processes in your body) and consume a minimum of those many calories, to sustain body processes. You can also analyse your body fat percentage to know how much fat needs to be lost.
- Extremes are bad, even for weight loss. So how to lose weight? Divide your weight loss in 3 phases.
How to lose weight; Phase I -
– Give up on all unhealthy food: Any food that makes you feel good now but guilty later, or you get conscious while eating, or those foods that you eat on the sly are definitely not correct for your weight loss. Start by dropping maida, refined flours, too much sugar, salt, oil, butter, ghee, margarine.
– Mind your quantity of intake: If you consumed 3 roti / 4 slices of bread , or 1 soup bowl full rice, cut it to 1/3rd . Consume only 2 roti/ 3 slices of bread or 1/3 rd bowl rice.
You may want to read – Is rice healthy? can you eat rice and still lose weight
– Add more of veggies and fruits: While avoiding those starchy ones like potato, banana, and mangoes. Wherever possible eat fruits with the peels.
– Add weight loss special foods to your routine. Green tea, warm lemon water , soaked almonds, uncooked raw veggies, loads and loads of melon fruits and water.
– Replace the unhealthy with healthy. Refined flour with whole flour, red meats with lean meats, whole milk with skimmed milk, frying with baking, roasting and grilling.
– Introduce a medium to slow pace exercise like yoga, meditation, walking to your routine. If you plan to join gym, don’t do it immediately. Join after your 1st phase is successfully completed.
Continue the regime for a month. By the end of this phase you would probably lose around 2 – 2.5 kgs of weight. If not. Don’t worry. You would lose later. What is important is now your body is used to a healthier lifestyle; it is ready to under go some more hardship for weight loss. So now the big question, how to lose weight in phase II
How to lose weight; Phase II -
Apart from continuing the rules from phase I, you now need to further cut down some calories and increase your activity levels.
– Cut down your calorie intake further by 200 – 250 cals. Divide your meals in 6 and make sure to eat something every 3-3.5 hours. Have a good breakfast but light lunch and dinner.
– After each meal, have a cup of warm lemon water . This will increase your metabolic rate and help in digestion.
– Increase your exercise time and level a gear up. If you want to join gym, workout for 45 – 50 minutes. With first 40 minutes of aerobic exercises and later 10 minutes of anaerobic exercises. Or you can join other activities like swimming, lawn tennis, hiking, skating. Or if you are walking, then start brisk walking and jogging.
– Indulgence is allowed. If you really wish to party and enjoy. Don’t back off. You are only dieting and not on a punishment. So go ahead enjoy your day off. But next day get to your exercise and diet regime.
– Check weight only once in a week. Those who check weight every day or even 3 times a day are known to give up on their diet routine easily.
You will take at least 3 months on this phase to be able to lose around 8 kgs of weight. May be a little less or may be a little more depending on your dedication, age, body pattern and health score. But nevertheless your health is improving. And so is your fitness level. So be happy and then its time to know how to lose weight in Phase 3.
How to lose weight; Phase III –
This is where you will start working out more and the rate of weight loss will fall down. You must have heard, The last few kgs are always the hardest to lose. But after coming this far. You wouldn’t want to give up. Trust me. By now you will clearly see the future body you want, and that will get you going.
– Change your pattern – now that you were already exercising hard and dieting harder. We don’t want you to starve. Plan your moves. Change your patterns, the time that you wake up, your meal timings, your exercise timings and the time you hit the bed. And suddenly you will notice the weight going down.
– Kick boxing, tai chi and Pilates are the best plateau breaker exercises for women. If possible, choose one of these. If not then simply increase the timing and intensity of your current exercise.
-Most importantly. Don’t give up. Continue your hard work and within a matter of few days; you will see the last few kilos just flying off. Leaving behind your dream body. A healthier you.
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos