Thyroid and weight loss has been a common problem among women. Thyroid is a small butterfly-shaped organ situated in the middle of neck. It is one of the largest endocrine glands and helps in the secretion of many hormones, such as thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3) and calcitonin, that regulate the metabolism rate of the body.
Thyroid and weight loss ; The relation :-
You may be wondering what leads to weight gain during thyroid problems. Thyroid gland regulates the metabolism of the body and it is indirectly related to body weight. when the body enters ” hypothyroidism” the production of the thyroid hormone is decreased and the body metabolism decreases leading to weight gain. It also causes fluid retention leading to added weight. Other factors which add up on the weight gain are; increase in food intake, decrease in physical activity as a result of fatigue, and the aging process
If you too have hypothroidism and are looking to lose weight, here are some tips for you. Thyroid and weight loss .
Thyroid and weight loss
Losing weight with hypothyroidism is a challenging task. All those with hypo thyroid and weight loss on their mind, go for a very low calorie diet which can further lower the body’s metabolism, worsening the problem. hence a correct approach is needed .
- Keep a check on your thyroid levels : Remember the answer to your weight loss question is solving the reason of weight gain. If you have thyroid and weight loss is your goal, you must keep a check on your thyroid levels. take your medications regularly without fail and keep your levels as close to the normal range as possible. and you would see your weight coming to normal. Check your thyroid levels every 3-4 months, or atleast once in 6 months.
- Increase your Activity: lowered metabolism is the main hurdle for those struggling with thyroid and weight loss . Increasing the activity levels through exercise will help in increasing the metabolism. increase your activity level by including a 30 – 45 mins exercise session, be it walking, yoga, tai chi,swimming, cycling or gyming. take stairs every time you have to climb up or down. short medium pace walks after your meals will be beneficial too.
- Increase your water and fiber intake: Hypothyroidism can cause chronic constipation, water retention and edema. increasing water and fiber intake will help in regularizing bowel movements. Increased Water consumption will also hep in flushing out your lymphatic system, further helping water retention problems.
- Increase Selenium intake: To supplement selenium in your diet, include bran,whole wheat,tuna, onions and tomatoes in your diet.
- Increase Iodine intake: Increasing iodine intake will help in improving the thyroid functions. eat iodized salt. If the doctor advises, go for iodine supplements.
- Increase Your Metabolism : the key for thyroid and weight loss is increasing your metabolism. here are some tips on how you can do that.
i] Have 5-6 mini meals – small and frequent meals helps in reducing the sugar spikes and balance the blood sugar level. this will help in avoiding hunger pangs. small frequent meals help by keeping the digestive system on the go. It helps in burning more involuntary calories and prevents storage of Fat.
ii] Green tea – drinking green tea will increase the metabolic rate and your energy levels. hypothyroidism makes you feel tired and fatigued all the time. Green tea will help in decreasing the stress levels and will give you the most needed energy kick.
iii] Warm water and Lemon – a glass of warm water and lemon early in the morning and after your main meals will help you in keeping the metabolism rate up through out the day.
Thyroid and weight loss :-
- Foods to eat : Include a lot of carrots,whole grain cereals, avocado, apricots , fish, asparagus , olive oil, sunflower seeds.
- Foods to avoid: Eat less of broccoli, lima beans, cabbage, peanuts, sweet potato, mustard, kale, kohlrabi, linseed and soy products. These foods may interfere with iodine uptake in the body. don’t cut these foods out completely, just keep these to a minimum.
Whether the excess weight accounts from thyroid or other hormonal issues, the key to weight loss is to correct the underlying condition while monitoring your diet , eating the right things and avoiding whats wrong and exercising. A healthy lifestyle since the very beginning is the solution to every weight related problem. including thyroid and weight loss . You might also want to read –
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos