Walking , a word that answers an array of questions about health.you can lose weight with walking, achieve the perfect figure, and strengthen yourself against an array of diseases. Walking is the best fitness exercise with No side effects – only results!
Motivation is the Key to any fitness program, even walking for that matter.. To stay motivated till the initial newness wears off, Putting one foot after another, day in and day out, can get a bit monotonous.
So what do you do when your pace starts to slacken and boredom sets in?here is how You can motivate yourself!
Motivational tips for Walking
1. Listen to music: Music is a food for soul ! Simple formula.. If u are bored of doing something, zest up that activity by simply mixing it with something you love. so if you love music ,step up to the beat. just plug in the ear phones and off you go .. walking is fun with music. you can also hear to podcast to audio books and make your walking session interesting.
2. Choose different routes: If you are bored of taking the same old route, take a new route and explore new places and surroundings… choose a route you have never been on before. this will make your walking more enjoyable and you will forget that you are exercising.
3. Count your steps: Have you heard of 10,000 steps per day plan? to forget the boredom of walking, start counting your step. you can use a pedometer too. engross yourself in the counting activity while you are out walking. You can then compare the steps counted with the steps recorded in your pedometer.
4. Wear a pedometer: Several studies show that If you have a daily step goal and if you wear a pedometer, you can boost up your activity level. Pedometer can act to be your powerful reminder that every step you take is being counted , and you will be tempted to find ways to increase your step count for that day.
5. Find a partner: Find a friend who would accompany you for the walks . having company will keep you motivated go out there and walk. If possible look for a person you love being with. the talks, discussions, jokes and the post walking relaxing sessions will also serve as a great motivator. If you love pets , take you pets for walks. If your spouse is interested , walking with them will not only improve your health but also your relationship, as you will devote more time to each other to talk, share , love laugh and walk !
6. Join a walking club: If you are a social person , the best way is going out there and joining a club. meet more enthusiast and walk along with them. It is Better than having just one partner. This is also a good way to socialize and make new connections. If you dont have a club of this sort around.. try going to a near by park in the mornings or evening , you will find a lot of like minded people who too would be looking for a good company.
7. Remind yourself of the benefits: there are so many benefits of walking, Nothing will charge you more than reminding the benefits of walking.
Walking benefits –
• Walking will Helps in weight loss
• It will Lower your blood pressure
• Walking will Strengthen your bones and joints
• Walking Reduces the risk of heart disease
• Walking Reduces risk of diabetes, & the list just goes on!
8. Maintain a walking journal: Writing it down is another way to keep you motivated. Set a goal to be achieved and plan a strategy towards it. Keep a Track of your walking minutes, steps, or kilometers in a journal or in an online log and analyze it every month. You will find yourself out walking just to make those numbers add up.
9. Choose the best time: Many people give up on their walking plan because they hate getting up early or because they feel they are too busy. well, no matter what time you choose to walk. you will avail the benefits of walking anywaz. Choose a time that works best for you . whether in the morning to get ready for the day or walk during lunch hour if you cant walk in the mornings. If you want to relax and release tension, walk in the evening or after dinner . If you don’t have full 30 to 40 minutes to walk, then break the 30 minutes down into several shorter walks.
10. Reward yourself: Rewarding yourself after you achieve your goals, is a good way to stay motivated. reward yourself with whatever works best for you, like a movie, New clothes or new walking shoes.
11. Sign up for an event:several walking and running events are hosted through out the year for charity. find an event like a walk-a-thon happening close to you,and prepare to participate in it. participation in such events can help you meet other people who have similar interest and keep you motivated.
12. Walk on the treadmill: When you are absolutely bored to walk outside, walk on the treadmill. You can watch TV or talk to your buddies on the phone and the miles would just add up.
Whether you are walking for fitness or health or weight loss, motivation is the key to success. apart from using above tips, it is necessary to learn the correct way /posture of walking . Avoid these 7 common walking mistakes.
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos