If you are looking for tips on How to get rid of Chest Congestion this winter, you have come to the right page. Chest congestion is one of the most irritating problems since breathing becomes difficult and the mucus trapped in the lungs makes you fall prey to various infections and diseases. The worst part is that it has become increasingly common owing to the increasing environmental pollution. Although the common cold is considered to be the most common cause of chest congestion; allergies to dust and pollution also causes chest congestion in many people. Be it summer or winter, chest congestion can take place anytime and ruin your schedules. Here are some quick tips on How to get rid of congestion.
Causes of Chest Congestion
- Common cold and cough
- Gastroesophageal reflux
- Lung cancer
- Airborne allergies
Symptoms of chest congestion
- Pain in the chest
- Pain in the throat
- Runny nose
- Frequent coughing
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Tightened chest
- Crackling noise while breathing
- Thick tongue
- Phlegm in lungs
How to get rid of chest congestion and mucus
- Gargling with salt water – Mix about 2 tablespoons of salt into a cup of hot water and gargle with it at least 3-4 times every day. It soothes the throat and helps to break the mucus apart.
- Steam – Inhaling fumes from boiling hot water helps to ease the congestion very fast. Put hot water in a bowl and place your face over it. Cover your face with a towel and breathe deeply for at least 15 minutes. Do this twice a day till your chest is clear. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil for better results.
- Place a humidifier in your room – Many people don’t find it easy to gargle or take steam. They may place a humidifier in their room while going to sleep. This helps to open the nasal passages and ensures that you get a sound sleep.
Image :Copyright: wavebreakmediamicro / 123RF Stock Photo
How to get rid of chest congestion and cough
- Keep your body hydrated – Drink lots of water. If possible, heat the water a little and then drink it. This prevents the mucus from becoming thick and warm water helps to break it down.
- Tea – Hot tea is very helpful in dissolving the mucus. Any hot liquid can help but tea has some special herbs that additional help to provide some comfort. You can add a few basil leaves and black pepper, jaggery, some cloves for added strength.
- Expectorant syrups – When everything else doesn’t seem to provide relief, you can consult an E.N.T specialist and take expectorant cough syrup. An expectorant helps to break the mucus and expel it from the body. If you need to go to work, make sure that the cough syrup doesn’t cause any drowsiness. Do not take suppressants, since these just suppress the cough and are not of much help.
- Avoid refined foods – Avoid refined foods like pizzas, burgers, noodles, etc since these foods add to the congestion and cause a lot of irritation. Drink hot clear soups and semolina Kheer. This is very beneficial for common cold and cough and helps to ease the congestion. Avoid oily and fried foods as these also increase the mucus.
How to get rid of chest congestion during pregnancy
It is best for any Pregnant woman to avoid any medications during pregnancy, apart from multivitamins and iron. Your baby gets everything that you eat. If you suffer from congestion during pregnancy, it is best to avoid over the counter medication. There are various home remedies that can help to get rid of chest congestion.
- Nasal saline drops – Put two drops of saline nasal drops in each nostril at least twice a day. This helps to clear the nasal passages and goes down to the throat.
- Rest – Take appropriate rest. Don’t exert yourself much. Your body needs ample rest and this also helps to ease the congestion.
- Vapor rub on the chest – Apply a vapor rub with menthol on your chest. This helps to decrease the inflammation in the chest and also eases chest pain.
- Yoga – Yoga is very helpful in relieving chest pain and congestion. Pranayama is a great asana to clear the lungs and nasal passages. The best thing about this asana is that it can be practiced at any time of the day at any place and it only takes 5-10 minutes.
How to get rid of chest congestion using home remedies
- Turmeric and honey milk – Turmeric is known for its healing and antiseptic properties. Just heat half a cup of milk and add a teaspoon each of turmeric and honey. Drink this milk twice a day.
- Onion juice – Onion has antimicrobial properties that prevent mucus from getting accumulated in the chest. It also helps in preventing infections. Just take some onion juice and add water, honey and lemon juice and heat it. Drink this lukewarm solution at least thrice a day.
- Hot tea with ginger, lemon, and honey – Green tea or chamomile tea with slices of ginger, lemon juice, and honey can do wonders to your throat and chest. You can drink this as much as you want. It helps to dissolve the mucus and this makes it easier to eliminate it from the body.
- Mulethi or Licorice – Licorice is a natural expectorant. You put a few strands in your mouth before going to bed and it helps to provide relief from pain and helps you to sleep soundly. You can also boil some licorice roots in water and drink this refreshing tea 3-4 times a day. It not only eases congestion but also helps to reduce the inflammation in the throat.
- Betel leaf – Take 2 betel leaf and boil it in 1 glass water, reduce it to half and drink this concoction 2 – 3 times a day. You can also apply mustard seed oil on the leaf, heat it on a pan and put this leaf on the chest. This will help in dissolving the mucus.
A word of caution – This remedy is not suitable for people who suffer from high blood pressure.
Protect yourself from dust and pollutants and dress according to the season, in order to get rid of Chest Congestion. Hope these remedies on How to get rid of Chest Congestion.