A lot of you have been asking us to post an Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery for faster recovery. So here it is . We have also mentioned about the foods to Eat and avoid for a recovery after uterus removal surgery.
A hysterectomy is a surgical removal of a woman’s uterus. Uterus is the female organ located in the pelvis. It is responsible for the menstrual cycle and is a pouch to carry the foetus till it’s born.
Reasons for hysterectomy?
- Uterine fibroid – that cause pain, bleeding, or other problems
- Uterine prolapse – sliding of the uterus from its normal position into the vaginal canal
- Cancer of the uterus, cervix, or ovaries
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Adenomyosis, or a thickening of the uterus
Hysterectomy is usually considered only after all other treatment approaches have been tried without success.
What to expect Post Hysterectomy Surgery?
During hysterectomy, uterus is removed partly or completely. Complete removal of uterus involves removal of ovaries too. This process is known as Hysterectomy. Generally the ovaries are spared while performing hysterectomy. This is so because, ovaries produce oestrogen.
Benefits of Oestrogen :
- Oestrogen is a hormone that helps females to develop their feminine characteristics.
- It also helps in maintaining cardiac health.
- Oestrogen plays vital role in calcium absorption and deposition on to the bones.
During the natural menopause, oestrogen levels lower gradually. However, surgical removal of the ovaries may cause oestrogen levels to drop considerably. With ovaries removed during hysterectomy you will start experiencing symptoms related to menopause, hot flashes, mood swings and vaginal dryness.
Problems that you experience post hysterectomy:
- Excessive gas and bloating
- Abdominal pain
- Gut problems related to altered microbes
Most of the symptoms are because of the surgery and lack of oestrogen. Also the calcium supplements leads to GI disturbances.
Importance of Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery
An invasive surgical procedure such as a hysterectomy is likely to have long term effects on physical and psychological health of a female. It also worsens the weight gain post-surgery. Eating the right foods can prevent complications. Right diet relieves constipation, high blood glucose, provides the necessary building blocks of protein your skin needs and promotes recovery.
The Importance of Nutrition
Post-surgery there is requirement of calorie dense diet for speedy recovery. Also after hysterectomy there is high risk of gaining weight. Thus, a healthy, balanced diet with plenty of lean proteins, grains and legumes is what is required.
Aim of our Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery:
- Foods that promote lean tissue repair and healing
- Reduce IBS symptoms after hysterectomy
- Managing constipation
- Softening your stool after hysterectomy
- Reduce gas and bloating after surgery
- Weight loss
- Reduce the menopausal symptoms like hot flashes, headache, osteoporosis
- Heart friendly diet
How to lose Weight after Hysterectomy:
Before we see the Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery, here are a few dietary recommendations on how to lose weight after hysterectomy.
Fiber rich diet:
- A common side effect of a hysterectomy is irritable bowel syndrome. Hence eating foods that have plenty of fiber will ease the symptoms.
- Most fruits and vegetables and whole grains are naturally high in fiber.
- The recommendation is of around 5 -7 servings of colourful vegetables and fruits daily.
- Few examples of high fiber vegetables are green leafy, kale, broccoli, brussels sprouts, eggplant etc.
- Fruits that you can include are avocados, oranges, sweet lime, berries, melons, papaya, apple etc.
- Whole grains, quinoa, oats, broken wheat, millets are all high in fiber. You can also include fiber fortified flours or flours with added brans.
Antioxidants are as important:
- Colourful fruits and vegetables have ample of phytonutrients.
- Phytonutrients are natural plant compounds that help boost immunity and prevent a range of chronic diseases, like cancer.
- Choose red foods like strawberries and red peppers.
- Green foods like broccoli and kale.
- Purple cabbage and grapes
- Yellow foods like ginger and lemon and
- Orange colour produce like carrots and mango.
- These antioxidants help reduce stress and body fats, there by lead to maintenance of weight.
Drink Plenty of Fluids:
- Increasing your fiber intake can lead to gas and bloating.
- It is thus necessary to up the intake of water.
- Drink at least 2 to 2.5 litres of water daily.
- Thin buttermilk, infused wat er, dal water are all included in the fluids.
Choose Healthy Protein and Fat:
- After surgery your body needs rebuilding of lost proteins.
- You can select pulses, dals, low fat milk and products, lean meat, poultry and fish.
- A moderately high protein patte rn in your Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery, will also help to reduce weight.
- Dairy products help in regaining healthy gut bacteria. It is a sole provider of calcium and good quality protein for the vegetarians.
- Consume at least 2 – 3 servings of milk and products daily.
Choose Healthy Fat:
- There is no need to completely skip the fat in the diet.
- Healthy polyunsaturated fats like groundnut oil, ricebran oil, cannola oil or olive oil is good for cooking.
- Omega 3 rich olives and olive oil, avocado, nuts, and seeds like flax are all good sources of healthy fats. Consume visible fats up to 20 – 30 gms daily.
Prevent Disease With Phytoestrogens:
- After removal of ovaries or for that matter uterus too, there is an early menopause.
- This can cause reduction in oestrogen levels.
- Thus, phytoestrogens help to mimic the oestrogen properties in the body.
- Though they are quite weak compared to normal oestrogen, but it helps to combat menopausal symptoms.
- Include foods like methi, soy, soy milk, tofu, tempeh and flax seeds.
Read – Benefits of Flax seeds.
Exercise and Physical Activity:
- You notice a lot of fat deposition in the body post hysterectomy; especially around abdominal region.
- Minimum of 150 minutes of cardio exercise in a week is sufficient to solve this problem.
- You can take up walking, swimming, cycling, jogging, dancing or cross fit training.
Read – Yoga for weight loss.
Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery:
Here is a sample Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery. This diet plan will not only help you in recovering fast but also in losing all the extra weight from the body.
Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy surgery ; Sample diet plan:
1 teaspoon soaked methi seeds with 1 cup warm water
1 bowl oats with milk, (add a pimch of cinnamon powder)
+ 3- 4 walnut halves
1 cup boiled moong OR
Cooked sprouts OR
2 egg whites OR
1 glass soy milk ( You can also have regular milk).
1.5 cup salad +
1 cup Quinoa +
Mix dal 1 cup +
1 cup vegetable +
1 glass buttermilk OR
2 pc chicken OR
1 pc fish
1 cup green tea +
3 Threptin biscuit OR
100 Gms fresh chena paneer with pomegranate
1 cup vegetable soup
1 cup salad +
2 Chapati OR
1 Bajra Roti +
1 cup vegetable +
A cup of Dal +
1 cup curd
Balanced diet is the key to all health issues. Once you know how to balance your calories and prevent any nutrient deficiencies, weight loss becomes easy despite of hysterectomy. Hence right amount and type of exercise compliments the weight loss. Hope this Indian diet plan after Hysterectomy helps you in achieving a healthy weight and lifestyle.
Dont forget to subscribe to our You Tube channel for video updates. Subscribe Now !