There are certain types of foods which gives you a feeling of gas, pain, bloating, abdominal distension, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. This can be because of Fodmaps foods that cause such symptoms. So, What is Fodmap diet ? Here is everything that you need to know about the low Fodmap diet Indian Version ( Fodmap India).
The wedding season is on. Experiencing a heavy stomach, bloating, uneasiness or any gastrointestinal (GI) disturbance is very common. This is because of the high calorie, sugary and fried foods. But sometimes even without eating outside food you experience the same feeling day in and day out. Let us find out the reason behind this. The low Fodmap diet Indian Version ( Fodmap India).
What is Fodmap diet ?
FODMAP diet stands for –
- Fermentable – Foods fermented in large intestines
- Oligosaccharide – Small chain of sugar molecules
- Disaccharide – Double sugar molecule
- Monosaccharides – Single sugar molecule
- Polyols – Sugar alcohols.
These Fodmap foods (sugar molecules) are not digested and lead to fermentation at the base of large intestines. In this process there is absorption of water and release of carbon dioxide, hydrogen and methane gas. These are the culprits of GI symptoms.
List of FODMAP Foods:
- Oligosaccharides: Wheat, rye, legumes and various fruits and vegetables, like garlic and onions.
- Disaccharides: Milk, yogurt and soft cheese. Lactose is the main component.
- Monosaccharides: Fruit like figs and mangoes, As well as sweeteners such as honey. Fructose is the main component.
- Polyols: Certain fruits and vegetables including blackberries and lychee.
- Some low-calorie sweeteners like those in sugar-free gum.
What is Low Fodmap Diet?
- A low Fodmap diet refers to a temporary diet that has a very low amount of food compounds called FODMAPs.
- These foods are eliminated or restricted for 3-8 weeks and then gradually reintroduced into a low-FODMAP diet.
- Slow and gradual reintroduction of restricted food one by one helps to check which food has caused the GI symptom.
Who can use FODMAP diet?
- GI related disorders like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) are most beneficial.
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Fibromyalgia and
- The professionals will advise a low FODMAP diet for these conditions as a part of treatment.
Benefits of FODMAP diet:
- Reduced Digestive symptoms: Studies show that a Low Fodmap diet significantly relieves 80 % of IBS symptoms of stomach pain and bloating. Whereas few other studies show low FODMAP diet help IBS patients to live symptom free. It also helps reduce constipation, flatulence and diarrhoea.
- Increased quality of life: The overall quality of life is enhanced by low FODMAP diet. Studies show there is increase in energy levels of individuals with IBS with low FODMAP diet.
Stages of Low Fodmap Diet:
- Restriction: This stage involves strict avoidance of all high-FODMAP foods. This lasts for about 3–8 weeks. Some people notice an improvement in symptoms in the first week itself, while some patients might take time. Once all of the digestive symptoms subside you can proceed to stage 2.
- Reintroduction: This stage involves systematically reintroducing high-FODMAP foods. The purpose is to identify which types of FODMAPs you can tolerate. Few are sensitive to all of foods in the list. You determine your threshold level of FODMAP in this stage. Introduce high FODMAP food one by one every 3 days. A professional guidance is mandatory in this stage. This method will help to check which food is the main culprit for the symptoms. Once you are aware of what suits your body and what not,Then you can proceed to stage 3. Here you can personalise the diet with the professional help.
- Personalization: This stage is the “modified low-FODMAP diet.” Here the intolerant food is restricted completely. Whereas certain foods that can be tolerated in small amounts are adjusted accordingly. This stage gives you more variety and flexibility in day to day life.
- For personal consultations mail us at email@example.com and see this page – diet services.
The Low Fodmap diet Indian Version:
Here is an Indianized low Fodmap diet details. Lets start with the list of foods that must be avoided and the list of foods that you need to include in the low Fodmap diet Indian version –
List of Allowed foods in Low Fodmap diet Indian Version :
|Vegetables||Alfalfa sprouts, bell pepper, carrot, green beans, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, zucchini, bamboo shoots, eggplant, ginger, chives, olives, parsnips, potatoes and turnips|
|Fresh fruits||Oranges, grapes, cantaloupe, banana, blueberries, grapefruit, kiwi, lemon, lime, oranges and strawberries|
|Dairy and Non-dairy Milk Products||Brie, Camembert and feta cheese, almond milk, rice milk as well as coconut milk.|
|Meat||Eggs, chicken, beef, pork and fish|
|Grains||Rice, rice bran, oats, oat bran, quinoa, corn flour, gluten-free bread and pasta|
|Beverages||Non-dairy milk tea and coffee, black and green tea and coffee, water and fresh fruit juice|
|Soy, Nuts and oil seeds||Soy, tofu, tempeh, almonds, peanuts, pine nuts, walnuts and pumpkin seeds|
|Condiments||Basil, chili, ginger, mustard, pepper, salt, white rice vinegar and wasabi powder|
List of foods to be Avoided in Low Fodmap diet Indian Version :
|Vegetables||Onions, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, leeks, beetroot, celery, sweet corn, brussels sprouts and mushrooms|
|Fresh fruits||Peaches, apricots, plums, prunes, mangoes, apples, pears, watermelon, cherries and blackberries|
|Dairy and Non-dairy Milk Products||Milk, soft cheese, yogurt, ice cream, custard, pudding and cottage cheese|
|Sweeteners and artificial sweeteners||High fructose corn syrup, honey, agave nectar, sorbitol, xylitol, maltitol, mannitol and isomalt|
|Grains and pulses||Beans, lentils, Wheat and rye based breads, cereals, pastas and crackers|
|Beverages||Alcohol, sports drinks and coconut water|
|Nuts and dry fruits||Cashew nuts and pistachios, dry-fruits and juice concentrates|
Let us now see a sample diet plan of Low Fodmap diet Indian Version.
Low Fodmap diet Indian Version; Sample diet chart –
Breakfast: 1 serving Egg omelette (2 eggs) + 1 cup black coffee
OR 1 rice flour roti and Tomato chutney
Mid- morning: 1 fruit serving (from the list above of allowed foods)
Lunch: 1 cup cucumber carrot and lettuce salad
+ 2 Rice flour / Bajra / Jowar roti (medium size)
OR 1 cup Rice and 1 cup Tofu in tomato gravy
Snacks: 1 glass orange juice
+ 2 small size oats and olive pancakes (uttapam) / Rice flour Appam
Dinner: 1 cup Ginger potato soup
+ 1 cup Vegetable chicken (optional)
OR quinoa / Oats khichdi
+ 1 cup coconut milk curd
Bed time: 1 cup almond milk or sugar free soymilk (Plain)
This Low Fodmap diet plan Indian version, belongs to stage 1 which is restriction of fodmap foods. You can follow this stage for 1 week or more. And then move on to the next stage simultaneously.
When to follow Low Fodmap Diet Indian Version ?
FODMAP is not always the first line of treatment for GI disturbances or other disorders mentioned above. Hence it is advised in the circumstances mentioned below –
- Have on going gut symptoms even after prolonged treatment.
- Poor response to stress management strategies
- Restricting alcohol, caffeine, spicy food and other common trigger foods is of no help
Dont forget to subscribe to our You Tube channel. Subscribe now.
A Low fodmap diet Indian version is a life changing diet for the people suffering from digestive problems since long period of time. It surely makes life simple, improves quality of life and gives positive outlook to people.