Spirulina is rightly called, “The king of green super foods”. There is a list of amazing super foods that can work wonders in a human body. These are commonly known to cure diseases and infections. Surprisingly, a lot of us have heard about Spirulina but we are not aware of its outstanding health benefits. In this article we would be talking about the following . What is Spirulina? Health benefits of Spirulina and its Side effects.
What is Spirulina ?
What is Spirulina? Where does it come from? And how does it help us ? let us find out.
- Spirulina is a green-blueish color algae also called as Arthrospira.
- Spirulina was found on our planet 3.5 million years ago.
- It is a treasure house of micro-nutrients.
- Owing to spirulina’s high protein content, it is touted as one of the best Super foods.
So now that we know what spirulina exactly is, let us move on to see what effects it has on our body and the health benefits of spirulina.
Effects of Spirulina on body :
- Spirulina is a secret weapon to your body.
- It can nourish your body by strengthening your immune system.
- Spirulina is an excellent protein source. It contains all the eight essential amino acids.
- It is a complete plant-based protein. Hence spirulina makes an ideal dietary supplement for vegetarians.
Health benefits of Spirulina :
Some of the proven health benefits of Spirulina are as follows-
- It is an antioxidant.
- It builds immunity.
- Increases good bacteria in the gut.
- Increases endurance.
- Helps in the wear and tear of cells after exercises.
- It helps in stabilising the chemicals in brain.
- It helps in preventing anemia.
- Spirulina helps in weight loss.
- It protects against cancers.
- Improves eye health.
- Beneficial for a healthy cardiovascular system.
Let us see these health benefits of spirulina in details.
Spirulina is a natural detoxifier and a potent antioxidant:
Spirulina contains chlorophyll which helps to remove the harmful toxins from blood. It supports the function of kidneys and liver. Spirulina addresses contamination as well as heavy metal poisoning.
Spirulina helps to build immunity:
The most prominent health benefits of spirulina is that it consists of an active compound called as Phycocyanin. It helps to boost the immune system as it has free radical scavenging properties. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, phycocyanin helps the body to flush out harmful toxins. Spirulina enhances the production of several antibodies which stimulate the immune system. It leaves us less susceptible to flu, colds and other illnesses.
Spirulina promotes a healthy gut:
Spirulina can enhance the body’s digestive system as it stimulates the production of friendly bacteria in the gut. This Friendly intestinal bacteria speeds up the nutrient absorption process and gives us protection against infections.
Spirulina boosts endurance levels:
When taken before performing an exercise, Spirulina delivers stamina. It helps to repair the muscles following a high- intensity workout in the body. It can combat fatigue and restore energy after exercise.
Spirulina balances brain chemistry:
Since spirulina is a complete protein source, it helps to balance brain chemistry. The absence of amino acids can create various health issues in the body. An amino acid called Tryptophan is important for the production of Serotonin which is necessary to generate emotions. Its deficiency can cause depression and neurological disorders.
Spirulina prevents anemia:
Spirulina can prevent anemia as contains iron and owing to its high chlorophyll content it helps to increase hemoglobin and generate red blood cells. Sufficient Iron in the body ensures that the use of oxygen is maximized.
Spirulina aids in weight loss:
Spirulina helps to suppress hunger. The high protein content makes us full and activates the metabolism thereby burning fat. It regulates the glucose levels without leaving you hungry.
Spirulina fights cancer:
Spirulina prevents the growth of cancer cells. It helps minimize the oxidative stress and generates free radicals that result in the appropriate death of cancer cells.
Spirulina improves the cardiovascular system:
Spirulina is very effective in reducing the bad cholesterol i.e LDL and triglyceride levels. At the same time it increases HDL levels (good cholesterol). It supports healthy levels of blood pressure. All these positive effects highlight remarkable heart health benefits
Spirulina improves eye health:
Spirulina is rich Vitamin A content. Hence it improves eye health. In fact, it has 10 times more Vitamin A concentration than carrots.
Apart from these health benefits of Spirulina , It is also great for your skin. It acts as a natural toner to improve the overall quality of your skin and gives it a healthy glow.
Who should take spirulina supplements ?
- For weight loss – Mix Spirulina in water and take it 30 minutes before every meal. It creates a satiating effect that curbs hunger.
- Weight gain- Take spirulina after a meal.
- For general nutritional supplement – Take spirulina in plain water or green smoothies.
- For a specific disorder – Take spirulina on an empty stomach 30 minutes before having any food.
Availability of Spirulina
It is important to choose an organic high-quality spirulina to ensure that it does not contain any harmful compounds. It is available at online health stores in powdered as well as tablet form.
How to take spirulina supplements ?
- You can try adding it to yogurt, salads, soups, juices or even some desserts.
- The best way to have it is to blend it into your regular smoothies
- You can also have it with plain water to reap maximum benefits.
- But it is important to consult your physician in order to know about the correct dosage for your body.
- Completely avoid spirulina in case of autoimmune conditions, pregnancy and lactation.
Is spirulina toxic? Side effects of Spirulina –
Spirulina is considered safe by the doctors. But if it is grown in unsafe conditions it might become contaminated with harmful bacteria and toxic metals. This can lead to many side effects like;
- Liver damage
- Rapid heartbeat
- Thirst and
There is a proven tradition of Spirulina consumption without any listed side effects and this has continued for over a century. It is best to cultivate spirulina in an artificial environment to erase the risk. It is necessary to take precautions like quality of inoculum and filtered water. Purchase spirulina from an accurate supplier who can analyze and test the originality of the sample. Organic and pure spirulina has a rich green color and free from any stickiness.
Subscribe to our you tube channel – Subscribe now
End Note –
While there are many other powerful super foods, Spirulina is worthy of gaining popularity for its incredible body healing properties. The health benefits of Spirulina are a boon to vegans for both internal and external protection of the body.