Benefits of Coconut water are mainly a result of its vitamins and minerals content. Coconut water is the purest liquid after water .
Nutrients in Coconut Water
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, a 100 ml serving of coconut water provides 19 calories, 0 mg of cholesterol, 0.2 g of fat and 0.72 g of protein. It provides trace elements like manganese, sulfur, selenium, iodine and zinc.
Benefits of Coconut Water
- Maintains the electrolyte balance of the body: The most widely known benefits of coconut water is that it helps in replacing the electrolytes lost due to profound sweating or during illness.The potassium and magnesium along with sodium and calcium ensures proper contractions of the heart. It thus makes a perfect post-workout drink and helps those recovering from severe fevers and weakness.
- Maintains body hydration: Coconut water contains all the crucial electrolytes that help in maintaining hydration. As mentioned earlier, people who are involved in heavy workouts or outdoor activities or those suffering from high grade fevers lose a large amount of body fluids through sweat. Coconut water benefits such people by replacing the lost electrolytes and providing hydration. Coconut water also helps with muscle functions and increases the immune response. The advantage of coconut water over plain water is that it contains natural sugar and is tastier than plain water.
- Boosts the immune system: Coconut water contains Lauric acid. This improves immunity by providing antiprotozoal, antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal properties. Coconut water benefits by improving resistance against various viruses including those causing common cold. The lauric acid in coconuts is also used in treating Leaky Gut Syndrome. Vitamin B in coconut water provides energy to the body and decreases symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Used in IV transfusions: A lesser known benefit of coconut water is that it is almost identical to blood plasma and this qualifies it to be used for blood transfusion. Coconut water can be given intravenously for hydration during emergencies. In World War II many wounded soldiers were saved in the Pacific because of emergency transfusion using coconut water.
- Improves digestion: Coconut water is composed of bio-active enzymes which aid in digestion viz. RNA polymerases, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase and acid phosphatase. Coconut water also maintains the intensity of acid reflux, thus helping against acidity and heartburn. To avail of this benefit from coconut water, drink a glass of it after your meal.
- Improves blood circulation: Coconut water improves circulation and oxygen carrying capacity to the blood cells. It also increases metabolic rate.
- Reduces vomiting tendencies and nausea : Coconut water can be given to those suffering from symptoms of vomiting and nausea. One benefit of coconut water is that it helps in treating hangovers.
- Improves skin health: Benefits of coconut water includes its light moisturizing effects on skin and hair and is beneficial for smoothing out combination skin. It cleanses and tones oily skin naturally. You can add coconut water to your bathing water or wash your face with it directly.
- Anti-carcinogenic properties: Researches suggest that the cytokinins, kinetin and trans-zeatin present in coconut water show anti-thrombotic, anti-carcinogenic and anti-aging effects.
- Beneficial for cholera affected patients: Coconut water replaces lost electrolytes, hydrates and it contains natural albumen which helps in recovering from cholera.
Benefits of coconut water in urinary infections: Drinking Coconut water is beneficial in removal of kidney and urethral stones. Coconut water breaks up kidney stones and helps in pushing it out of the body.
So enjoy the benefits of coconut water. We often ingest artificial and chemical-laden products to avail these benefits. Now that we know the benefits of coconut water, it is far more advisable to choose the natural drink against the calorie-laden soft drinks we see in the market. Avail the benefits of coconut water with an amazing mocktail.
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos