It is very common for kids to experience stomach aches. It is mostly due to something they have eaten or because of unfiltered water. However, there are times when it reoccurs frequently and the reason is unknown. Adults too can experience similar symptoms. One of the reasons behind this can be H. Pylori infection. Indian Diet Plan for H Pylori Infection. How to Treat Gastritis Caused by Helicobacter Pylori?
H pylori is a bacterium that causes inflammation in the inner lining of the stomach. It causes peptic ulcers and gastritis. Gastritis is the irritation of the stomach. If untreated, in rare cases it can lead to stomach cancer.
How to Treat Gastritis Caused by Helicobacter Pylori?
Helicobacter Pylori and Gastritis
H pylori cause the release of an enzyme named urease. This urease breaks down urea into ammonia. Furthermore, ammonia protects H pylori from the damage caused by stomach acid. Over a period of time, H pylori bacteria multiply and start corroding the inner stomach lining leading to inflammation.
Symptoms of H Pylori Infection
H pylori infection usually does not have any uncommon symptoms. The symptoms that manifest are due to gastritis or peptic ulcers. Those symptoms are;
- Acute stomach pain post meals
- Sudden weight loss
- Constant bloating
- Nausea and blood in vomit
- Burps even on an empty stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Bloody stools
How to diagnose H pylori infection?
Generally, with no symptoms, it is difficult to diagnose H pylori infection. But with recurring gastritis, doctors can suspect H pylori infection.
- Blood test: An antibody test for H pylori confirms H pylori infection
- Breath test: You are given a certain solution to drink and asked to exhale in a bag. The amount of carbon dioxide confirms H pylori infection. A high concentration of carbon dioxide in the breath confirms H pylori infection.
- Stool test: Stools are directly checked for H pylori infestation
- Endoscopy: Endoscopy of the upper abdomen is done. The small tissue is removed as a sample to test for H pylori infection.
Treatment of Gastritis Caused by Helicobacter Pylori
The golden rule of treating H pylori is to treat only if you have visible symptoms. Avoid any over-the-counter antacids as they may increase the risk of developing peptic ulcers. As well as follow our sample Indian diet plan for H pylori infection. The treatments for H pylori infections are;
- Antibiotics: Usually doctors prescribe antibiotics to get rid of H pylori in combination with other treatment methods.
- Proton pump inhibitor: The proton pump inhibitors are used along with antibiotics to reduce stomach acid secretion. Less stomach acid helps to reduce infection and prevent gastritis.
- Diet: Consume a diet that helps in reducing the excess secretion of acid from the stomach. Select foods that do not cause acidity, bloating, or indigestion and make the symptoms worst. Avoid high-fat, refined carbs as well as a high-protein diet. These foods aggravate acid secretion and magnify the signs. Our sample Indian diet plan for H pylori infection will help you understand the diet pattern better.
Indian Diet Plan for H Pylori Infection
Foods to include in gastritis:
Consume cereals that are easy to digest. Select rice, broken wheat, whole wheat, oats, quinoa, sama as well as varai. Avoid eating millet frequently. Mix the millet flour with wheat flour to avoid any bloating after consumption.
Select dals as well as split or whole pulses. Consume cooked sprouts instead of raw. Avoid big pulses like rajma and chole. Soak the pulses overnight to remove flatulence-causing substances and then cook them thoroughly to avoid acidity and bloating.
Nuts and seeds
These foods are rich in omega 3 which helps in reducing the inflammation of the stomach lining. Nuts also provide antioxidants that help faster healing. Include almonds, walnuts, dates, dry figs, and apricots. Seeds like flaxseeds, chia seeds, as well as pumpkin seeds, are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Consume 1 or 2 tspn of these seeds for their benefits.
Milk and products
When the stomach lining is already inflamed, milk might cause bloating, indigestion, as well as loose motion. Eat curd rather than milk. Curd provides lactic acid that can help reduce the excess acid secretion in the stomach. Buttermilk provides symptomatic relief from the burning sensation in the stomach. Curd and buttermilk also provide probiotics that help in faster gut recovery.
Poultry and fish
Minimize the consumption of fish and poultry to avoid excess acid secretion in the stomach. If consumed, cook it in less oil, and less spice, steam, or grill it and avoid excess chili. A boiled egg a day is preferable as it is not only easy to digest but also it is nutrient-dense and does not cause any bloating.
Consume a low-fat diet. Balance your oil and ghee consumption as per dieticians’ advice. Include 2 – 3 tspn of visible fat only in your daily diet.
Include jeera, aniseeds, barley, or wheat grass water in your daily diet. It helps to reduce acid secretion in the stomach.
Fruits and vegetables
Consume fresh fruits that are rich in antioxidants for faster healing. Consume cooked vegetables to avoid any indigestion and flatulence. Include 4 – 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
Water helps to neutralize the acid in the stomach. Drink water at regular intervals. Avoid water consumption along with or immediately post meals to avoid bloating and indigestion.
Foods to avoid:
- Sugary foods: Excess sugar in foods leads to more acid production and also causes indigestion. Avoid desserts, sports drinks, sweets, and refined sugars.
- Deep-fried foods: Deep-fried foods might cause bloating and might cause loose motions. It can cause irritation to the stomach lining and increase inflammation.
- Gas-causing foods: Foods like cauliflower, cabbage, soy, and pulses might cause gas as well as bloating. It is advisable to avoid such foods to prevent further irritation to the stomach lining.
Indian Diet Plan for H Pylori Infection
Here is a sample of the Indian Diet Plan for H Pylori Infection. This one-day sample diet chart will give you a good idea of how you should plan a menu of Indian Diet Plan for H Pylori Infection.
Sample diet plan
Empty stomach: 1 glass soaked jeera water (soaked overnight) or barley water with lemon juice + 10 soaked almonds
Breakfast: 1 cup Poha or Upma + 1 glass salted lassi
Mid-morning: 1 seasonal Fruit (100 -150 gms)
Lunch: 1 cup cucumber raita + 1 cup Boiled broken wheat (mix mung dal + broken wheat 1:1)+ 1 cup Vegetable
Evening: 1 cup oats upama + 1 glass butter milk
Dinner: 1 cup Vegetable soup + 1 cup Dal khichdi + 1 bowl curd
Bed-time: Soaked nuts (2 Almond + 2 walnut halves + 1 Date)
It is advisable to immediately take action against H pylori infection to prevent further irreversible damage to the stomach lining. The right diet, medication, as well as alertness for symptoms will help you to get rid of H pylori infection. Hope this sample Indian diet plan for H Pylori infection and the information on how to treat gastritis caused by Helicobacter Pylori helps you. You can also follow our Low fodmap diet plan to get rid of IBS + gastritis symptoms fast.