Kidney stones are very common problem in India and around the globe. It can occur in all age groups. Recently a survey reported that a lot of women in India are suffering with kidney stones during pregnancy. Hence we decided to do this blog on Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones. Read on to know about what should be your diet for renal calculi.
Image :Copyright: designua / 123RF Stock Photo
What is a kidney stone?
According to national kidney foundation a kidney stone is a hard mass that forms from crystals in the urine. Nephrolithiasis is the medical term for kidney stones. Natural chemicals in the urine generally stop stones from forming. Abnormality in this function leads to a kidney stone. A kidney stone may be the size of a pinhead or it can be as large as a grapefruit. It can obstruct the urinary pathway causing acute pain and bleeding or blocking the flow of urine.
Types of Kidney stones
Not all kidney stones are made up of the same crystals. The different types of kidney stones include:
- Calcium: Calcium stones are the most common. They can be made of calcium oxalate (most common), phosphate, or maleate.
- Uric Acid: This is more common in men than in women. They can occur in people with gout or those going through chemotherapy. This type of stone develops with acidic urine.
- Struvite: Mostly found in women with urinary tract infections. These stones can be large and cause urinary obstruction. These stones are caused by a kidney infection. Treating an underlying infection can prevent the development of struvite stones.
- Cystine: Cystine stones are rare. They occur in both men and women who have the genetic disorder cystinuria. With this type of stone, cystine — an acid that occurs naturally in the body — leaks from the kidneys into the urine.
What Causes kidney stone?
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Working for long periods in direct sunlight,
- Excessive alcohol consumption
- Excess tea, and coffee consumption
- Indulgence in high fat and sugar loaded indigestible foods
- Negligible intake of fresh vegetables
- Drinking very less water
- Very high protein diet
What are the Symptoms of Kidney Stones ?
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Increased urine frequency
- Acute pain in the flanks radiating towards urethra
In extreme cases,
- Fever with chills might also be associated
- Bleeding through the urinary tract
How to Treat Kidney Stones ?
Before we see the general Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones, Let us first see the treatment for kidney stones. he treatment for kidney stones varies depending on the type of stone and the cause.
Small stones with minimal symptoms:
- No invasive treatment required.
- Drink 2 – 3 litres of water.
- Pain relievers for mild discomfort with kidney stones.
- Alpha blocker is prescribed. It relaxes the muscles in your ureter, helping you pass the kidney stone more quickly and with less pain.
Large stones with severe symptoms:
- Use of sound waves to break up stones known asextracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL). It breaks the stones into tiny pieces that can be passed in your urine.
- Surgery to remove very large stones in the kidney, percutaneous nephrolithotomy.
- Using anureterscope to remove stones. It breaks stones into pieces which passes in the urine.
- Parathyroid gland surgery in certain cases which is caused by overactive parathyroid glands.
Home remedies for treatment of kidney stones:
Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones comprises of various Home remedies from our ancient Indian books. some of the most beneficial home remedies for kidney stones are mentioned below.
Pomegranate is highly astringent in nature. Drink a glass of its juice daily or add them to salads or toast.
Boil two figs in a cup of water for 15-20 minutes and drink it on an empty stomach early in the morning.
High consumption of animal protein can lead to kidney stones. Switch to plant-based protein diet. Add chia seeds, spirulina, green peas, beans, sprouts and soy to your diet.
Horse gram / Kulthi :
Horse gram dal helps in breaking down bigger stones and then washing them away through urine. Consume 50 – 60 gm kulith dal 2 times a day to treat your kidney stones and avoid the re-occurrence.
This is a medicinal plant and very commonly found in India. It helps tremendously in breaking the stone and in eliminating these stones from the body. It is highly anti – inflammatory and antimicrobial and thus helps in Kidney stones and Urinary tract infections.
Banana stem Juice :
Yes , It is mentioned in our ancient books and Ayurveda swears by it. Banana Stem juice really helps in reliving your from the pain of kidney stones and helps in eliminating it.
Insoluble fiber reduces calcium in the urinary tract and binds it to the intestines. Thus calcium is less available to make kidney stones. Include fiber rich whole grains, legumes, fruits, oats, millets and vegetables.
What foods are high in oxalates?
Beware of the high levels of oxalate in vegetables which is the one of the major causes of stones. Let’s check the list of high oxalate foods.
- Sweet potatoes
What should I drink for kidney stones?
Water is the best option. But to increase fluid intake you can consume
- Unsweetened fresh fruit juices
- Barley water
- Infused water
- Pomegranate juice
- Banana stem Juice
For all kidney stones drink plenty of fluids, unless you have kidney failure. Water helps to dissolve kidney stones fast. The darker the colour of your urine, the more water you need. When your urine is clear or light coloured, you know you’re getting your water right. Consume at least 8 – 10 glasses water daily.
What is the best thing to eat when you have kidney stones?
One must have
- Low sodium,
- Low refined sugar,
- Normal protein
- Flexible oxalate foods and
- Ample fluids.
Oxalate management is proportional to urine oxalate.
Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones :
So here is a sample of Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones. This plan was made to help you understand how you can use the above mentioned foods and home remedies in your daily diet to get rid of Kidney stones. So here it goes , Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones.
Sample Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones:
- Early Morning on Empty stomach:
1 teaspoon Mix of basil leaves and honey or 2 figs boiled in a cup of water
OR – Eat 4-5 Patthar chatta leaves.
1 cup Wheat bran Flakes with Milk + 1 pomegranate
1 bowl of vegetable daliya + 1 pomegranate
1 glass banana stem juice OR Lemon juice OR Barley water
1 cup salad + 2 Chapatis or 1 cup Brown Rice + 1 cup horse gram Dal + 1 cup Vegetable (avoid dark green leafy vegetables) + 1 glass buttermilk (add little hing for pain relief )
- Evening snack:
½ cup Poha or Upma + 1 glass Barley Water
- Late evening:
1 glass Lemonade OR Banana stem Juice
Same quantity as lunch
- Bed time:
1 cup Milk (no sugar)
What foods to avoid if you have kidney stones?
- Reduce oxalate intake:The list is mentioned above.
- Reduce sodium: It is a part of salt. Sodium is in many canned, packaged, and fast foods. Look for foods labelled: sodium free, salt free, very low sodium, low sodium, reduced or less sodium, light in sodium, no salt added, unsalted, and lightly salted. Check for hidden sodium, such as sodium bicarbonate, baking powder, disodium phosphate monosodium glutamate, or MSG, sodium nitrate or nitrite.
- Limit animal protein: Replace some of the meat and animal protein with beans, dried peas, and lentils, which are plant-based foods that are high in protein and low in oxalate
- Get enough calcium from foods: In the right amounts, calcium can block other substances in the digestive tract that may cause stones. It is best to get calcium from plant-based foods such as calcium-fortified juices, cereals, breads, some kinds of vegetables, and some types of beans.
Ayurvedic remedies for Kidney Stones:
According to Ayurveda, improper diet and lifestyle leads to aggravation of all three doshas. There is impairment of the digestive fire causing formation of toxins (ama) in the body. These toxins travel down the channels carrying urine. The aggravated doshaswith toxins cause its crystallization and leading to the formation of kidney stones.
Ayurveda concentrates on dietary changes and also the use of diuretic and stone-dissolving herbs in acute cases. The system is then cleaned and strengthened using toning and rejuvenating preparations.
- Panchakarma therapy is a very effective means of cleansing the body internally in order to help it regain strength.
- 1 teaspoon of powdered preparation of equal quantities of the bark of three-leaved caper tree (varun), puncture pine (gokhru), thatch grass (kas) and horse gram (kulthi). 3-4 times a day with water.
- Soak 2 teaspoon of radish seeds in a cup of water, boil and reduce it to half. Strain and drink 1/2 cup of it twice a day.
- Boil 10-12 basil leaves in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey in it and take twice a day.
Note – You can add these Ayurveda remedies to our Indian Diet Plan for Kidney Stones.
How to prevent kidney stones?
- Studies have shown that the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet can reduce the risk of kidney stones.
- To prevent calcium stone eat less salt and ready to eat products or outside food. Consume enough dairy products to get daily dose of calcium.
- To prevent oxalate stone avoid dark green vegetables, nuts, and chocolate as much as possible. As they are high in oxalates.
- To prevent uric acid stones, cut down on high-purine foods such as red meat, organ meats, and shellfish. Follow a healthy diet that contains mostly vegetables and fruits, whole grains, and low fat dairy products. Limit sugar and alcohol because it can increase uric acid levels in the blood. No crash diets.
- Eat a balanced diet that is moderate in animal protein like chicken, fish, and eggs. Excess protein may trigger kidney stones.
- Increase daily fiber intake. Include whole grains, millets, oats, daliya and variety of fruits and vegetables.
- Drink lemonade, its vitamin C helps to prevent kidney stones.
- Benefits of Apple cider vinegar on Kidney stones , treatment and side effects
- Diet plan to reduce Uric acid
More needs to be known about various foods and beverages and their impact on kidney stone formation. Hydration is the key. Ample amount of water, a correct diet and a thorough knowledge of foods is required. Following the above mentioned Indian diet plan for kidney stones will definitely help you in finding relief in your pain and treating your stones. Please feel free to ask us your query by leaving a comment below. We would try to revert to you at the earliest.