In this world of fast food and convenience foods, our basic diet has undergone a lot of changes . The diseases which were rare , have now become very common. One such problem is Piles or Hemorrhoids. Here is a detailed Indian diet plan for piles or hemorrhoids along with a list of dos and donts and foods to eat and avoid. A complete guide to diet in piles.
Image :Copyright: absolutimages / 123RF Stock Photo
What are piles ?
Piles is a condition in which there is inflammation and swelling in the veins present in the lower rectum. It is also referred to as haemorrhoids. Haemorrhoids are the structures in anus that controls stool movement. They provide cushion to arterio-venous channels and connective tissue in intestines that aid the passage of stool.
What are Different Types of piles / Haemorrhoids ?
- Internal Haemorrhoids: They are painless and may have rectal bleeding
- External Haemorrhoids: There is pain in the area of the anus. A person who is suffering from piles experiences a severe amount of pain while passing stools.
What are the general Symptoms of Haemorrhoids:
• Rectal pain
• Rectal bleeding
In most cases, symptoms will resolve within a few days. While sometimes the symptoms of other gastrointestinal abnormalities may mimic like haemorrhoid symptoms. Thus, rule out any possibilities of fissures, fistula, abscess, irritable bowel syndrome or colon cancer.
• Hematochezia: Bright red blood covering the stool.
• Protrusion of haemorrhoid through the anus.
• Painful swelling or lump around the anus.
What are the Causes of Haemorrhoids / piles ?
• Absence of valves within the haemorrhoidal veins
• Constipation or constant diarrhoea
• A low-fiber diet
• Prolonged sitting or standing.
• Feeling of hurriedness during passing of tools
• Strenuous work and intensive exercises
• Tension, anxiety and stress
How to treat Haemorrhoids ?
• Medication for symptomatic relief.
• Keeping the stools soft to pass easily without any pressure or straining.
• Increase fiber intake and oral fluids.
• Surgery in extreme cases.
Indian diet plan for piles
before we see the actual diet plan for piles , we first need to check about the dietary changes and details of which foods to include and which foods to avoid in piles . so lets see them one by one here –
Dietary changes for haemorrhoids:
Primary goal of this Indian diet plan for piles is to get strain-free and smooth stools so there is no further damage to intestines. Include high fiber foods in your daily diet. Add leafy vegetables, whole grain cereals, millets, salads, unpeeled fruits and unstrained soups with your meals.
How does fiber help in haemorrhoids ?
- The Roughage in the diet is excreted with the other waste products from the intestines.
- The water absorbing fiber loosens the stools and helps in easy passage of the body waste a.k.a excreta.
- Thus, this reduces the pain and inflammaton caused by hemorrhoids.
What Foods to Eat to Prevent Haemorrhoids and to Reduce Haemorrhoids?
Image : Copyright: hannamariah / 123RF Stock Photo
• Green leafy vegetables are high in antioxidants and nutrients thus are good for digestions. Eat plenty of spinach, kale, cabbage, asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, onions, cucumber, squash, turnips, carrots, celery and zucchini. Make these Greens an integral part of your Indian diet plan for piles.
• Whole grain foods with bran cereals alleviate the strain applied while passing stools. Healthy foods like brown rice, oatmeal, bran cereals, whole grain flour, whole wheat pasta or multi-grain breads are good options to include in Indian diet plan for piles.
• Fresh fruits with skin are high in fiber. The vitamins, minerals and nutrients in fruits improve the digestive system function, easing the bowel movement. Include fruits like apples, strawberries, blueberries,raisins, prunes and grapes. Fruits that can be eaten without skin are papaya, banana, oranges, grapefruit and muskmelon.
• Sprouts are rich in fiber, vitamin C, proteins and calcium. All these nutrients help treating hemorrhoids. Consume at least 1 cup of sprouts daily. But dont eat raw sprouts as they will worsen the symptoms. Eat sprouts in soft cooked or steamed or boiled form to avoid irritation to the bowel.
• Consume psyllium husk to relieve constipation and loosen the stools. Psyllium husk is rich in soluble fiber. It makes the stool bulky and reduces the pressure during defecation.
• Drink at least 3 – 4 litres of water daily. Sometimes only fiber or dietary changes do not work. Thus, increasing water intake aids easy passage of stool, thus relieving constipation.
• Consume probiotics or curd or buttermilk to aid proper digestion. Probiotics increase gut immunity and integrity. It fights back with any infection or inflammation. It relives haemorrhoid symptoms.
The List of Foods to Avoid in Piles :
- High carbohydrate and high fat foods. These foods cause irritation to the bowel and also lead to constipation.
- Meat, fish, eggs to avoid constipation.
- Caffeinated products, like coffee, tea, chocolate aggravate constipation and inflammation of bowel.
- Smoking and alcohol too directly or indirectly affect the gastrointestinal wall health.
- Bakery products made from refined flour, bread, cakes, pastries, pies and puffs also cause constipation and worsen the haemorrhoids.
- Spicy food. It causes bowel irritation and burning sensation while defecating. Eliminate chillies from your diet. It worsens the symptoms of haemorrhoids. Also avoid black pepper.
- Gas forming foods like lentils, pulses and dals irritates the bowel. Bloating increases pressure during defecation
Now that you know about the foods to include and the foods to avoid in Indian diet plan for piles, it is time to see the one day sample Indian diet plan for piles .
Sample of Indian diet plan for Piles :
Let us see a one day sample menu for an Average Indian Person suffering with piles.
Early Morning on Empty stomach
- 1 glass warm water with lemon juice.
- 1 bowl oats with milk
- + 1 small elaichi banana or apple
Mid – morning:
- 1 cup Yogurt or curd or 1 glass Buttermilk.
- 1 cup green salad
- 1 cup curd
- 2– 3 Roti (wheat flour or multi grain flour with bran)
- ½ cup Brown Rice
- 1 cup dal
- 1 cup vegetable
- 1 big bowl of vegetable Khichadi (Mung dal and rice)
- 1 cup green salad
- 1 cup vegetable
- 1 glass Carrot juice
- + ½ cup boiled /pressure cooked Sprouts
Mid – Evening:
- 1 cup Vegetable soup (No straining)
Same quantity as lunch
Bed time :
1 glass warm water
* Important Note – No matter which menu you choose for yourself , make sure that the diet is cooked in minimum amount of oil with as little as possible or without any spice. Use less of ginger too.
How to Avoid Haemorrhoids:
Apart from eating a fiber rich diet one must,
- Involve Moderate intensity exercise like walking for at least 4 – 5 times a week.
- Adopt a ‘squatting’ position to defecate, rather than sitting on a Western-style commode
- Avoid reading while defecating.
Dietary home remedies for treatment of haemorrhoids:
- Eat soaked figs
Soak 3 – 4 dry figs overnight and eat it in the morning. The seeds of figs are good source of fiber to relieve constipation.
- Foods rich in vitamin C, bioflavonoids and vitamin E.
Include citrus fruits like orange, lemon, sweet lime in your daily diet.
- White radish juice
Take White radish juice and mix with honey. Make at least 60 – 90 ml mixture. Consume it twice a day for instant relief.
- Carrot Juice
Carrot juice on daily basis relieves constipation and thus relieves piles symptoms. Read more about Benefits of carrot juice.
Try eating jamun fruit with salt for 2 – 3 months every morning. this helps in smooth defecation and Relief from piles .
- Vitamin B6 supplementation
- Cold water treatment
Sit in a tub filled with cold water for two minutes with knees drawn up to your chin. this helps in relief from acute pain of piles.
Few Interesting Reads for you –
- How to treat gas and indigestion at home instantly
- Benefits of warm water and lemon
- Benefits of chironji seeds
3 step treatment advice for haemorrhoid is to have fiber rich diet, exercise and drink plenty of water. Always remember, before you experiment anything, take a professional help and guidance. Find the root cause of piles or haemorrhoids and then decide on the treatment.Hope this Indian diet plans for piles be of help to you. Please leave your queries in the comment and we will get right back to you with solutions.