Smoking Thrills But Kills ! , “Cigarette smoking is injurious to health”, everyone is aware of these warnings. We see this in commercials at movie theatres, in ads on television and also on the cigarette packets. But we often fail to quit due to less information about how to quit smoking . So here we have these tips and diet for quitting smoking.
Image :Copyright: dizanna / 123RF Stock Photo
More and more teenagers fall prey to peer pressure and take up smoking. According to survey 1 in every 6 is a smoker.It all starts with fun and they all end up getting addicted to it. Nicotine present in cigarettes is as addictive as any other potent drug like for example marijuana or heroin. We all know it is bad . We all are better off without smoking. hence this Blog on Diet for quitting smoking.
Composition of Cigarette
Before we see about the Diet for quitting smoking , First let us see what exactly cigarette is made up of and why is it injurious to health:
Cigarette is made up of various chemicals along with dry tobacco leaves. American cancer society has identified few of these chemicals like nicotine, arsenic, tar, ammonia, carbon monoxide etc. as carcinogenic
The burning of nicotine and other chemicals cause release of nitrites and nitrates. These chemicals cause all the harm in the body.
Side effects of cigarette smoking:
- Cardiac issues: Arteries and veins harden causing circulatory problems.
- Lung disorders: Lungs lose functionality and elasticity. Depositions of carcinogenic chemicals in lungs blocks and damage the lungs.
- Cancers:The chemicals cause oral or lung or cancer of blood.
- Gastroesophageal reflux: Smoking causes dysfunction of esophagus and stomach causing food to regurgitate. This causes acid reflux in the esophagus.
- Premature skin aging: Skin loses its lustre and moisture because of the chemicals in cigarette. This causes skin to sag and wrinkle.
- Compromised oral health:Cigarette smoking harms teeth, gums and oral cavity. It starts with simple discoloration of teeth and might end up with oral cancer.
- Infertility: Smoking causes vasospasm in the reproductive organs. It causes erectile dysfunction, ovulatory problems and underdevelopment of reproductive organs.
- Mental retardation of foetus if smoking during pregnancy: Smoking during pregnancy causes severe DNA damage in the foetus.
Quitting smoking is the only solution to avoid these problems. Smoking is the hardest habit to break. But nothing is impossible if you are determined. A little professional help and a strong will power is all needed. And this Diet for quitting smoking will help you in all regards.
Tips on how to quit smoking?
Here are some tips that will help you for quitting smoking. They will work specially well when you apply them along with the mentioned diet for quitting smoking.
Nicotine replacement therapy:
This includes nicotine nasal spray or inhaler or over-the-counter nicotine patches, gum and lozenges or medications. These help you overcome intense cravings. This is used in combination with medications.
Strong urges for cigarette is likely to arise where you smoke most often like in parties or bars, during stress or sipping coffee. Identify your trigger situations and avoid it completely. Occupy yourself into some activity when you feel the urge to smoke.
Delay the Urge:
If you get this smoking urge then convince yourself to wait for few minutes and then do something to distract yourself.
Take up hobby:
When you get these smoking urges try to involve into some hobbies which will distract your mind. Or you can make a rule if you feel like smoking you will go for walk at that time or workout. Replacing the urge with an activity.
Practice relaxation techniques:
Cigarette smoking is generally associated with stress. If there won’t be stress, you will not feel the urge to smoke. Thus for quitting smoking, try yoga and meditation to relieve stress.
- Eat vegetable and fruits whenever you feel like smoking.
- Drink lots of water
- Use low fat dairy products
- Modify cooking methods to stewing, roasting, sautéing or shallow frying.
- Chew on sugar free gums or lozenges.
Diet for quitting smoking
Nicotine replacements therapy, the medication, rehab sessions cost you a bit. But there is a safe, easy, reasonable and a very much part of daily routine method for quitting smoking. And that method is by using the right food. Studies have shown certain foods help alleviate cigarette cravings or even make the taste of cigarettes repulsive even for the most avid of smokers. lets see these foods that help in quitting smoking.
What is the best thing to eat when quitting smoking?
Research shows that drinking milk prior to smoking makes cigarettes taste unappealing to study participants. You can also dip cigarette into milk ahead of time and allowing them to dry. It is claimed cigarettes had a bitter aftertaste. Thus making it unappealing to the smokers. Have at least 2 -3 servings of milk and its products daily.
Snacks with lots of salt:
Salty snacks reduce nicotine craving. This may have some bad health effects during to the high calorie snack option. Better take proper professional help before starting anything.
Chewing crunchy veggies such as celery, carrots, and cucumbers keeps your mouth busy for long time. This helps in quitting smoking. Consume at least 3 – 4 servings of vegetables daily.
Fruits rich in vitamin C:
Vitamin C supplementation reduces smoking urges. Consume lots of lemons, strawberries, oranges, bell peppers, grapefruits. Eat minimum 1 – 2 fruits daily.
Ginseng tea is said to work on neurotransmitter level. It stops the pleasure giving senses to the brain while smoking. Thus making quitting smoking easy.
Cardamom is an important food when it comes to diet for quitting smoking. Cardamom has strong aroma , and its aromatic oils help in delaying and subsiding the urge to smoke. Read – Benefits of Cardamom.
Foods to avoid while quitting smoking:
Certain foods like sugar, alcohol, colas, meat and fried snacks tastes good with cigarette. While quitting smoking, one must avoid these foods completely that trigger the urge to smoke.
What happens when you quit smoking?
According to American Heart Association, quitting smoking resumes your taste buds function. During this time, food helps you to:
- Feel pleasantly full and reduce the urge to smoke.
- Have something to chew and hold in your mouth instead of cigarette butt.
- Satisfy cravings with food flavors instead of cigarettes.
Quitting smoking gives rise to desire to eat something sweet. You feel hungry quite often and you look for anything to munch on. This may cause a side effect of gaining weight. But don’t stop eating in fear of gaining weight. You can munch on healthy options to avoid gaining weight.
How do I lose weight after quitting smoking?
- Engage into any physical activity like walks, jogs, gym or intense workouts
- Eat 4 – 6 small meals throughout the day.
- Again water helps in losing weight
- Reduce or avoid alcohol and accompanying snacks to lose weight.
If you are interested in losing weight , here are a few Interesting Reads
- How to lose weight effectively?
- Lose 3-4 kgs in 7 days with GM diet
- Lose 7-8 kgs in a month with Keto diet plan for weight loss
- Indian version of Atkins diet
Divert your mind to some constructive activity which relieves stress. A mindful eating, exercise and awareness of your own mental health is crucial in quitting smoking. Take a right decision at the right time before it’s too late.