Anonymous quote says “Good health is a crown by the healthy that only the ill can see”. same is true with Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet. Being healthy is the latest best trend booming in the world. Everybody wants to look good and feel good. People take up different workout schedules, diet and other lifestyle modifications to become healthy. Read on to know more about Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet.
There are people who just blindly follow the tradition. People just hear some diet worked for someone and start to follow that. They never understand that each and every individual is unique. One diet works best for me but won’t for you or vice versa. Each individual needs an exclusively designed diet plan which will work only for that individual. One must be wise enough to differentiate true from not so true information. There are hundreds of different diets that are used worldwide to maintain healthy body. Paleolithic diet is one of such diets.
Paleo mainly constitutes non – veg food and hence it is hard for a vegetarian to imagine how a vegetarian paleo diet is even possible . This Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet will help you if you are just one of them. But before we move to the Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet , Let us know in details about the basic paleo diet – its pros, cons, uses etc.
What exactly is paleo diet?
The paleo diet is commonly known as the caveman diet or the stone age diet. It is based on a simple principle – What would a caveman eat? Ideally paleo diet is a non-vegetarian diet. These include fruits, vegetables, meats, seafood, and nuts.
Nutrition Composition of Paleo diet:
Emory University researchers say that Paleolithic people obtained about 35% of their calories from fats, 35% from carbohydrates, and 30% from protein.
Who follows Paleo diet?
- People who want to lose weight
- Body builders
Foods included in Basic Paleo diet:
It is a major food source in paleo diet. One must eat sustainably raised, lean cuts of meat, poultry or lamb. It is helpful in reducing weight, triglycerides, raising HDL, lowering blood sugar, reducing appetite, and increasing muscle mass.
Eggs are a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals. Egg white is rich in proteins. Egg yolk is rich in vitamins, nutrients and choline. But excess cholesterol is harmful for heart functioning and leads to weight gain. Thus, a moderate consumption of whole egg with proper guidance is recommended.
Fish has high content of omega 3, proteins, calcium and minerals. Consume small, omega 3 fat rich fish such as sardines or wild salmon.
Fruits and Vegetables
Ideally an equal amount of carbohydrate is required with high meat content in food. Thus more than 10 – 12 servings of organic vegetables and fruits are recommended. These are high in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Fibrous tubers like sweet potatoes are also included in the diet.
Foods excluded in Paleo diet:
- All grains – wheat, rice, barley, oats, rye, and corn
- Legumes – beans, chickpeas, lentils, peas, and soy
- Starchy tubers – potatoes
- Most sugars and honey
- Anything in a box, jar, or bag
Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet
It appears impossible to strictly follow the Paleo diet as a vegetarian. But a few modifications suitable to a vegetarian within the limits of paleo diet are possible. Here are a few possibilities of Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet.
How can a vegetarian modify paleo diet?
Exclude meat and poultry:
Exclude non vegetarian foods completely. Ovo-vegetarians can include moderate amounts of eggs in their diets.
Foods that you can include:
Apart from loads of fruits and vegetables you can include almonds, avocado, broccoli, pistachios, potatoes, spinach, spirulina and walnuts.
Any grains can increase your blood sugar. Take only small portions (1/2 cup at a meal) of low glycemic grains like gluten free millet or quinoa or hemp seed.
Beans are a great source of fiber, protein and minerals. Recommendation is almost about up to 1 cup a day. Consume soaked or sprouted pulses, to gain maximum benefits.
What do experts say?
Many experimental studies on paleo diets, which give more direct evidence, have only small numbers of people in the study. This makes it hard to draw firm conclusions. The health benefits of the paleo diet are unproven. Even the diets used for comparison (the control group) are not ideal alternative diets.
One small study published in the journal Diabetologia found that the diet improved blood sugar over 12 weeks compared to a Mediterranean diet that allowed grains, low-fat dairy, and oils. But it’s difficult if there will be same results in a larger group study.
Pros of Paleo diet:
- Cutting down processed food will reduce the maximum sodium intake in people.
- Excluding junk food means minimum trans fats ingestion.
- Adequate protein helps appetite control and muscle synthesis
- Lean meat gives required iron, omega 3 and calcium.
- Very low glycemic load – keeps blood sugar in control.
- Vegetables and fruits, provides a high anti-oxidants content improving the immunity.
- Rich in omega 3 fats – good for heart, brain and immunity.
- Organic – Low in pesticides, antibiotics and hormones.
- No chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, MSG, artificial sweeteners and other chemicals.
Cons of Paleo diet:
- Excess protein without enough carbohydrate increases the kidney load.
- If wrong cooking methods are used then, there is risk of ingesting carcinogenic elements.
- Excluded food like dairy, whole grains and pulses are useful in lowering osteoporosis; cardiovascular diseases control blood pressure and maintain ideal body weight.
- Vegetarians have dairy as major source of calcium. Avoiding dairy calls for external calcium supplement if daily requirement is not met by food.
- Paleo diet requires a lot of planning, preparation and mental resolve.
- Eating out on the diet becomes challenge. For example which oil is used? Which grains have they used? Is processed or canned food used to prepare the dish?
- On and off Paleo diet leads to yoyo effect in weight. It leads major weight swing. If this continues, an individual gains more of fat and leads to slower metabolism.
- It is very expensive. Investing in organic food is pricier.
Interesting articles on weight loss –
- Ketogenic diet for weight loss, Indian version.
- Indian diet plan for weight loss
- Low carb diet plan for weight loss
- Atkins diet for weight loss.
Keep in mind diet is not a short term goal but a long term lifestyle change. This Indian Vegetarian Version Of Paleo Diet, may not be your partner for long as it will be great challenge. Most of us need to personalize the approach depending on our health conditions, preferences and needs. Before initiating any diet plan, it is advisable to consult a certified professional regarding the diet.