Are you overweight and struggling to shed off your extra pounds? Then you surely must have heard of Hydroxycut. Hydroxycut products are available in the form of shakes, powders, chew-able gummies, protein bars, pills and tablets. Hydroxycut is a popular weight loss dietary supplement commonly called “Fat Burner”. But does Hydroxycut help in Weight Loss ? Lets find out ..
Image : Copyright: ohmega1982 / 123RF Stock Photo
Hydroxycut has been in the market for more than a decade now. The makers of this product claim that Hydroxycut can help you lose weight effectively and conveniently in a couple of weeks, if it is combined with correct diet and exercise. Well, if you thought that it is a great solution for losing weight, then I would suggest you to wait. I would suggest you to avoid getting attracted to this apparent glossy picture. Unfortunately there is little or no support for such claims in medical literature.
Ingredients / Content of Hydroxycut
Hydroxycut is a dietary supplement with a wide range of products marketed for weight loss. Its ingredients are a variety of herbal extracts, chemicals and metals supposed to burn fat. Caffeine being the main ingredient, its concentration varies in different Hydroxycut products. Some have high caffeine content while some have no caffeine.
- Caffeine or Green coffee bean extract (Coffea cenephora robusta)
- Lady’s mantle extract (Alchemilla vulgaris)
- Wild olive extract (Olea europaea)
- Cumin extract (Cuminum cyminum)
- Wild mint extract (Mentha longifolia)
- Willow bark extract
- L-carnitine tartarate
- Chromiuim picolinate
Even though Hydroxycut is composed of herbal or natural products, this does not testify its safety because even natural products can be toxic. Despite its popularity and widespread usage, Hydroxycut has continued to cause health concerns. Hydroxycut products have been linked with risk of severe liver injury, seizures, muscle damage, Injury to intestines and heart problems. So, does Hydroxycut help in Weight Loss ? Yes it does, But at a great risk of health.
Side effects of Hydroxycut:
- Liver problems:
FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has warned the consumers to stop taking Hydroxycut. The agency received 23 reports of serious health problems. 17 reports were of serious liver problems and required liver transplant. It also included one death due to liver failure.
- Damage to the muscles and Kidneys:
Users of Hydroxycut reported a serious muscle problem. There was lot of breakdown of muscle tissues. This posed strain over kidneys for flushing out the excessive muscle tissues. This caused kidney damage.
Those who used Hydroxycut reported violent and uncontrolled shaking of the body along with muscle spasm or convulsions.
Inflammation of the colon:
Users of Hydroxycut reported pain and damage to the colon (large intestine).
Damage to the heart:
People reported rapid heartbeat, missing beats and even heart attack after taking Hydroxycut.
The above side effects were attributed to the ingredient called Ephedra which was the major fat burner and stimulant. After a number of serious health problems, there was a lawsuit in 2009 against the company making Hydroxycut. As a result they had to withdraw Hydroxycut products from the market. The company then reintroduced it in the market removing one or two ingredients especially Ephedra. While they claim it to be completely safe to use after reformulation, people have still reported health problems due to Hydroxycut.
- Caffeine is the key ingredient of Hydroxycut. Side effects from caffeine overdose are nausea, vomiting, irregular heartbeat, headache, decreased sleep, anxiety, breathing problems and high
- The safety and efficacy of these diet pills are not supported by clinical research. Users of Hydroxycut have given mixed reviews with a wide range of Hydroxycut weight loss stories. Among ample positive appraisals there are negative reviews as well. hence the confusion over , Does hydroxycut help in lose weight loss ? still persists.
In short, if you choose to use Hydroxycut products, you could be at health risk.
How does hydroxycut help in weight loss ?
- Hydroxycut suppresses your hunger, increases your energy levels and burns fat.
- Some of the ingredients in Hydroxycut have a thermogenic effect i.e. they raise your body metabolism which helps in burning fat faster and hence reduce weight.
- Caffeine which is present in heavy doses in Hydroxycut gives your system a boost and burns your fat and you lose some weight but for a short period. When the effect of caffeine wanes, you will go back to your original state. As we know that our body has a tendency to develop tolerance to caffeine. So, next time when you take this diet pill, it probably fails to give you the desired result unless you increase the dose of caffeine. Finally you start experiencing side effects from here.
Does hydroxycut help in weight loss ?
Even if Hydroxycut help in weight loss , It is for a short span. Also, losing weight with Hydroxycut isn’t that easy that you get results just by popping the pills. You have to undergo a consistent and stringent diet and exercise plan. The makers of Hydroxycut themselves say that Hydroxycut works but you still have to do exercise and follow a strict diet plan.
People reported liver, muscle and intestinal damage after starting Hydroxycut and their condition improved several months after discontinuing it. There are no clinical studies to prove that Hydroxycut is an effective weight loss supplement except testimonials by its users. Always be cautious before trying any health supplement that is not clinically proven and is known to cause serious health problems. If you want to lose weight you can do that safely too. Your patience, determination and consistency will surely help you achieve your goals.
If you aim to lose weight, you need to strictly follow certain tips like eat the last meal of the day latest by 7 pm. Do not eat snacks after the last meal. Just like you fix your number of meals for the day, make fixed routine for drinking water too. For e.g. drink minimum 2 glasses immediately after getting up in the morning. Drink water half an hour before and one and a half hour after each meal of the day. Water will not only keep you hydrated but also keep you fuller preventing you from eating in between meals unnecessarily. If taken correctly, it doesn’t only help you in weight loss. It also helps you in proper digestion which helps you in fighting with many other diseases,helping you lead a healthy life.