You are such a couch potato!! Don’t we hear this quite often when we are just lazing around? A couch potato is the slang term used to signify the sedentary lifestyle. But have you ever heard about potatoes used to lose weight? Yes! We bring to you this Indian Version of Potato Diet Plan for Weight Loss. Read on.
Potatoes are typically considered bad for not just your weight, but your overall health. Consuming too much potato in your diet can lead to erratic blood sugar levels, weight gain and a number of other health-related complications. But what if the potato diet leads to weight loss by eating only the starchy tuber for some days? The potato diet plan sounds bizarre and it probably is, but some people have got unbelievable results. The diet is based on the nutritional health benefits of potatoes, including healthy carbohydrates, fiber, essential vitamins as well as minerals.
What is Potato diet plan?
Yes!! The Potato Diet is a short-term eating plan. It is 3-5 days diet that is designed to help improve weight loss, digestion, and health. In this diet, one has to eat nothing but potatoes that help become as ‘lean as one ought to be’. Reportedly, this diet was originally developed by a doctor in 1849. It was made for obese and dyspeptic people. Dyspepsia is the inability to digest food as per normal conditions. Later, this theory was applied by people who wanted to lose weight.
Potatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and other nutrients. It helps to ward off diseases like cancer and boosts strength. The energy-packed vegetable is easy to digest and contains more potassium than a banana.
Whether white or sweet, plain potatoes are fat-free and low in calories. According to the European Food Information Council, plain boiled potatoes are a very satiating vegetable. It helps to keep you full for an extended period of time. Hence, the potato diet plan for weight loss or potato hack may help you achieve your fitness goals.
Does the Potato diet plan really work for weight loss?
It is said that potato contains nutrients that affect inflammation, hunger, insulin, as well as sleep. It also helps to jump-start weight loss if consumed in the right method. The potato diet puts you on a calorific deficit, making you lose weight.
It is not a ‘way of eating’ in the sense that the other diets are. It is a short term way to lose weight, reduce inflammation and re-set appetite to kick-start weight loss.
In daily routine, we tend to eat when we have nothing to do. It becomes more like a chore rather than a process of providing nutrition. On day 1 you eat potatoes in all the different ways you can. As the days progress one gets tired of eating only potatoes. This makes you eat only when you feel hungry and just because you have to eat. Automatically you cut down on excess food intake.
This also helps to control the food craving that we get for starchy or sugary foods. Once you conquer your cravings it becomes easy to follow any diet and stick to it for encouraging results.
Potato diet combined with light walking increases the metabolism and helps burn calories. All these in turn help to lose weight. Potatoes have a fair amount of potassium which helps in controlling blood pressure.
Tips on potato diet for effective weight loss?
For best results of Potato diet on weight loss, you need to follow these tips:
- Eat potatoes until full or about 3-5 pounds (1 – 2.5 kgs) daily for 3-5 days.
- No other food is allowed while on the potato diet.
- Add very negligible amount of salt in the potatoes.
- Black tea, herbal teas, black coffee (no added milk or sugar) and water is allowed.
- Avoid heavy exercise while you’re potato dieting. Instead, opt for light exercises such as walking.
- Avoid any dietary supplements.
Different ways to use potatoes while on potato diet:
Potatoes are a versatile food. It can be enjoyed deliciously in various forms than just eating them plain.
- You can boil the potatoes and let them cool for 24 hours in the fridge. Mash the potatoes and consume. Drink the water in which the potatoes are boiled. The water is rich in B complex vitamins and potassium.
- Cut the potatoes into chips and grill them directly. You can marinate the potatoes before grilling with lemon juice and mixed herbs.
- Barbeque the potatoes and consume it fresh and hot.
- Grate the potatoes make pancakes on a non-stick pan. Roast it till brown and then consume it.
- Another way is to bake the potatoes, add some lemon juice and consume it.
Side Effects of potato diet:
- Potatoes are rich in starch or carbohydrates. Diabetics or people with hyperinsulinemia issues need to consult their registered medical professionals before following any such diet.
- Potatoes are low in proteins. Long term potato diet might lead to protein deficiency in the body. This in turn may affect metabolism as proteins are the building blocks of the body.
- A person with kidney disorder whose potassium level is high needs to consult their medical professional before following this diet.
- The weight loss isn’t sustainable and may not last for long. The weight is bound to bounce back to your normal once you start with normal meals after the diet ends.
- Here are some Diet pans for permanent weight loss.
- 1200 calories Indian diet plan for weight loss.
- 1400 calories Indian diet plan for weight loss.
- 7 days of vegan diet plan for weight loss.
- 7 days detailed vegetarian diet plan for weight loss.
Indian Version of Potato Diet Plan for Weight Loss :
Here is a sample Indian Version of Potato Diet Plan for Weight Loss.
Sample diet plan:
Breakfast: 1 cup Black tea or coffee + 1 bowl boiled and mashed potato.
Mid-morning: 1 bowl grilled potatoes chips.
Lunch: 1 serving Baked potato + grilled potato chips.
Snack: 1 cup Green Tea + 2 – 3 Roasted Potato Pancake (medium size).
Dinner: 2 cups Potato soup.
Note: Eat as many potatoes you want until you feel full or less than 5 pounds (around 2.5 kgs)
Potato diet can be used to kick start the process of weight loss. Do not extend it beyond a certain limit. Always follow such diet under the supervision of the registered dietician for better results. But make sure that you use it smartly, remember, meal preparation could be the culprit. Use the right amount and the right technique to achieve maximum benefit from this Indian Version of Potato Diet Plan for Weight Loss.
Please Note: At Dietburrp, we bring together all the information about different weight loss diet charts from around the world. But this does not mean that we are promoting crash dieting. At Dietburrp, we believe in following a well-balanced diet for weight loss. You can check our recommended diet plans on our YouTube channel. Subscribe Now.