This Article is to help you understand what is better for weight gain and muscle gain ? Mass gainer Vs Protein Powder . To have a toned body, six pack abs and a chiselled body is every man’s dream. To build such a body what do u think is required? Dedication? Hard work? 24 hours to be on alert as to what to eat and what not to eat? The answer is yes, all of the above. You need a disciplined life to maintain such a body.
Image :Copyright: messer16 / 123RF Stock Photo
The key to decide on using Mass gainer Vs Protein Powder is to decide what kind of body you want to maintain. To simply gain weight along with muscles the routine is different. Also just to build muscles the routine is different. To put on fat, the routine is different.
To build muscles you need
- A rigorous workout routine
- An appropriate protein powder
- Enough sleep
- A disciplined diet
- Check this – Indian diet plan for Muscle building
To put on weight you need
To become fat you need
- Mass Gainer
- A regular workout routine
- Diet plan to become fat
There is whole market of protein powders and mass gainers which are very confusing. You are not sure which one to buy and for what reasons. Now let us see which product to consume and for what reasons and is the difference between the two. So here we go , Mass gainer Vs Protein Powder .
Why is a supplement required?
We must exercise to build up muscles. When you start exercising, the body always needs extra to compensate for the energy burned. This is where a supplement comes into picture. The normal food that a person eats might not be able to fulfil the extra protein needs. Thus, at such times a protein powder or mass gainer is helpful.
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Post exercise muscles absorb amino acids. Protein powders are made up of amino acids, thus, it is readily absorbed by the muscles and show immediate effect. Consume this protein powder within an hour of workout for its maximum benefit.
What are Protein Powders?
A protein powder is combination of whey and amino acids that is digested easily and gets quickly released in the bloodstream. Whey is the purest form of protein available and is widely used in protein powders. Also whey is sometimes replaced by soy, egg or casein. All these are also a pure protein form but have a different composition. Protein powders usually contain about 20 to 30 grams of protein per serving and minimum amount of carbs and fat. To know more about protein supplements check this post – Protein supplement guide .
Image :Copyright: NejroN / 123RF Stock Photo
What are Mass Gainers?
Mass gainer powders contain proteins along with added carbs and fats to provide more calories. It has protein and carbs in ratio of 1:2 respectively. An ideal serving provides 60 grams carbs and 30 grams proteins. The source of carbohydrates is either maltodextrin or glucose or both. Weight gainer also contains an added amino acid for additional benefit.
Mass Gainer vs Protein Powder
Which supplement to select when ?
Different people react differently to the same product. There are people who workout hard, but still are unable to put on muscles. At this point a mass gainer is advised. Mass gainers have a considerably high calorie count than a protein powder. Thus consuming mass gainer post workout will solve the problem. If you are looking out to tone down your body and maintain lean body mass then a protein powder is advised.
What is the difference between Mass Gainer vs Protein Powder?
- Calorie content
Calorie content –
The major difference between a protein powder and a mass gainer is the calorie content and its composition. A plain protein powder contains 100 -150 calories while a mass gainer can go up to 300 – 1200 calories or even more.
Protein powder either has whey, soy, casein or egg base with added amino acids and very less carbs and fat. Whereas mass gainers have carbs double the protein content. The fat content in mass gainers is more than in protein powder.
Protein powders are recommended if the goal is to build muscles and increase strength. Mass gainers are recommended if there is no muscle building even after a heavy workout regime. To have lean look use protein powder and for bulky look mass gainer is perfect.
If you are wondering what will be better if in mass gainer vs protein powder when it comes to weight loss ? Well , Protein powders have added benefit of weight loss whereas mass gainers promote weight gain.
So if you have that little paunch and want to lose fat from tummy and build up your body mass , Protein powders is what you need.
What does mass gainer do to your body?
- Sole purpose of mass gainer is weight gain.
- The added carbs and fats contribute to the weight.
- Mass gainers contain added sugar in form of malto dextrins and glucose.
- This sugar leads to insulin surge in the body.
- The extra sugars in the body are deposited as fat.
- Mass gainers not only increase muscles but also help put on weight because of fats and carbs.
- The high protein leads to water retention and fat deposit makes the body look bulkier.
- Mass gainers help in muscle recovery and growth. It also boosts energy required for an intense workout.
Which Mass Gainer is best?
- There are many mass gainers that are available in India.
- The most common and reputed brands are ON, Muscle Blaze and BSN.
- Select a brand that provides premium protein quality with complex carbohydrates along with essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals.
- The product with added fiber has more benefits of gaining healthy weight.
- The gainers with a good quality fat like medium chain triglycerides give fast results.
- With help of a professional qualified dietitian you can decide which gainer is best for you according to your requirement. And understand the requirement of mass gainer vs protein powder .
Is a mass gainer bad for you?
- This depends on the purpose for which the mass gainer is used.
- Athletes and bodybuilders are very conscious about their weight changes.
- Even with slight weight change, the category of competition changes and affects the performance.
- Thus, for them mass gainer is futile.
- A prolonged use of mass gainers tends to pile up extra fat layers in the body.
- This is because of the added fat and carbs in mass gainers.
- The fat gained then later becomes difficult to lose.
- Thus, mass gainers are to be used cautiously with a professional’s advice only.
Mass gainer vs protein powder have their own purposes. But, whey protein supplements have the upper hand compared to mass gainers. In long run, a proper diet plan advised by a professional along with a suitable workout regime is more beneficial.
Here are a few important related reads for you –
- Indian diet plan for six pack abs
- Indian diet plan for weight gain
- How to gain weight
- More articles on weight gain
- Indian diet plan for body building