Vertigo as the name suggests means to revolve. It is a vestibular disease that occurs due to some issue in inner ear or brain. Generally mild vertigo reverses itself or your body manages to live with it. Research says females are more likely to get affected with vertigo than males. Read on to know about vertigo diet plan with Indian menu, Indian food list and also how to stop dizzyness.
It is said vertigo occurs after the age of 65 but it can happen at any age. Most of us might have experienced this at some point of time in our life. Vertigo is a constant sensation of dizziness and body imbalance. The mind and body become sick and feel low. Vertigo is basically a symptom and not the disease itself.
What is Vertigo ?
Types of vertigo:
- Peripheral Vertigo: It happens when there is equilibrium imbalance in the inner ear and its fluid.
- Central Vertigo: It occurs due to damage to sensory nerve path that affects one or more parts of brain.
Symptoms of Vertigo:
- Head spinning or dizziness
- Ringing in ears
- Profuse sweating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Jerking of eye
- Unbalanced walk
- Walk pulled to one direction
- Hearing Loss
Causes of Vertigo:
- Ear surgery
- Prolonged bed rest
- Head injuries or trauma
- Consumption of certain medication
- Multiple sclerosis
Treatment for Vertigo:
If the symptoms are mild, vertigo resolves on its own. However, the treatment majorly depends on the cause. In mild cases the brain adapts to inner ear imbalance and tries to maintain the body equilibrium. In other cases some of these treatments might help;
- Vestibular rehabilitation: It is a physical therapy that strengthens the vestibular system that sends signals to brains. Vestibular system maintains balance in the head as well as in the body movements. It contains specific head and neck movements that will help move calcium deposits out of the ear canal. However, it shpuld be done under professional supervision only.
- Medication: With recurring episodes one might require medicine to control the symptoms like nausea or motion sickness. Anti-inflammatories are suggested if there is any infection or inflammation.
- Surgery: If the cause of vertigo is tumor or any injury then surgery is the only option to relieve this condition
- Diet modifications: There are certain types of foods that help alleviate the symptoms and also manage the vertigo. You need certain lifestyle modifications to control the vertigo. We have mentioned vertigo diet plan Indian menu as well as an Indian food list below.
Vertigo Diet Plan (Indian Menu, Indian Food List)
Food List to Include in Vertigo Diet Plan :
- Food rich in vitamins and minerals:
Include foods loaded with vitamins and minerals in your daily routine. These vitamins and minerals help to improve blood circulation, restore damaged nerve cells as well as reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin C: Include citrus fruits, lemon, bell peppers as well as sprouts
- Vitamin B-6: Nuts, seeds, eggs, milk, avocados, fish, beans as well as spinach
- Zinc: Include avocados, pomegranates, berries, peach, kiwi, dairy as well as whole grain cereals
- Magnesium: Include nuts, legumes, tofu, seeds, curd and also whole grains
- Potassium: Include raisins, apricots, beans, potato, spinach, broccoli, avocados as well as banana
Stay hydrated at all times. Drink ample amounts of water that will maintain blood circulation, remove toxins from the body and help reduce inflammation. Drink at least 2.5 to 3 litres of water. Include infused water, green tea, unstrained soups as well as juices as per recommendation from your dietician.
Nuts help to reduce inner ear pressure there by improving inner ear equilibrium. They are not only rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory, but also rich in micronutrients. These help in reducing inflammation as well as improve blood circulation. Add almonds, walnuts and brazil nuts in you daily routine.
Ginger is the best remedy for the dizziness caused in vertigo. It also helps relieve nausea and vomiting. Start you day with ginger tea and try to add it in various recipes.
Foods to Avoid in Vertigo Diet Plan:
- Avoid alcohol as it harmful for inner ear composition.
- Avoid sugary beverages, sports drinks, sodas or artificial flavour water. These beverages hinder blood circulation and fluid electrolyte balance in the body and trigger vertigo.
- No caffeine at all as it increases the ringing of ears and trigger vertigo. Stop drinking coffee, cocoa, colas, teas or energy drinks.
- Avoid consumption of packaged foods as they are high in preservatives and salt. It disturbs the fluid in the inner ear. Avoid chips, sauces, pickles, papad, as well as canned foods.
- Smoking reduces blood circulation to brain and also to inner ear, worsening vertigo.
- Avoid migraine triggering foods like red wine, smoked meats, chicken liver as well as chocolates.
Tips to manage vertigo:
- Avoid large gaps between meals
- Evenly spread distribution of meals and water throughout the day
- Avoid excess sugar as well as excess salt in your foods
- Compensate the fluid lost due to heat or exercise
- Avoid caffeine rich foods as it leads to further dehydration
- Avoid trigger foods that initiates vertigo symptoms
Vertigo Diet Plan (Indian Menu)
- For personal diet plan you can write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please subscribe to our Youtube channel to watch informative videos.
Sample of Verigo diet plan with indian menu:
Empty stomach: 1 cup Ginger Concoction with lemon juice + Soaked nuts (6 almonds, 2 walnuts, 10 black raisins)
Breakfast: Vegetable oats+ Rawa chilla with green chutney OR 1 methi stuffed paratha + 1 cup curd
Mid-morning: 1 fruit (100 – 150 gms)
Lunch: 1 cup chola + veggie salad + 2 Whole wheat Chapati + 1 cup Dal or Sprouts or boiled beans + 1 cup Curd
Snacks: 1 cup green tea or 1 glass buttermilk + 2 small Spinach broccoli potato Pancake or 6 – 8 pcs Moongdal Dhokla with green chutney
Dinner: 1 cup vegetable soup + 1 cup Dal Khichdi or Vegetable Pulao or Vegetable Daliya + 1 cup green vegetable + 1 cup curd or 1 glass buttermilk
Bed time: 1 cup turmeric ginger milk
It is important to recognize the vertigo triggering foods and to avoid those along with necessary lifestyle modification. Once you are aware of the foods and its effects on your body it becomes easy to manage vertigo attacks. Hope this vertigo diet plan with Indian menu, The Indian food list and information on how to stop dizzyness helps you overcome your symptoms.