One click and you come across various diets for weight loss, weight gain, various disease condition and disorders. Have you ever thought what’s in there for people who neither have any disease condition nor have weight issues? Or there may be a fair chance that you are into intense workout and have been asked to take 2000 calories for weight loss . Well , we have your back . Here is a 2000 calories Indian Diet Plan (Balanced diet for Men and women ). This diet can also help you in weight loss if your health provider has asked you to follow a 2000 calorie diet plan.
Image :Copyright: yapanda / 123RF Stock Photo
Who can consume 2000 calories Indian Diet Plan ?
- Average Indian Man or woman with ideal weight, no disease condition and adequate physical activity needs at least 1800 to 2000 calories.
- Indian man or woman who is into intensive workout and wants to lose weight and burn body fat.
- Indian man or woman involved in sports or physical activity of any sort .
The ideal food composition is moderate amounts of all 3 nutrients namely carbohydrates, proteins and fats. There has to be 60 – 65 % of carbohydrates, 15 – 20 % proteins and 20 – 25 % fats. This is termed as a balanced diet.
Let us see what is a balanced diet ?
A balanced diet is the one that provides required nutrients to body to function correctly. All the nutrients come from 5 major food groups namely:
Cereals and Millets:
Have 6 – 7 servings of cereals and millets in a day. Avoid refined cereals that lead to metabolic disorders. Cereals are important source of energy for the body. Brain survives only on glucose for energy. Cereals and millets provide that glucose to brains.
Dals and pulses:
Consume at least 3- 4 servings of dals and pulses daily in any form. These are plant protein sources, also rich in vitamins and minerals.
Poultry, fish and meat:
Non vegetarians can replace 1 – 2 servings of poultry, fish or meat with milk and products. These are first quality proteins also rich in iron and calcium. Consuming non vegetarian food 4 – 5 times in a week is also sufficient. The animal protein is readily digested and has maximum absorption in the body.
Milk and products:
Milks and products are also first quality proteins. It also provides calcium, D3 and phosphorus. Opt for 2 – 3 servings of low fat milk and products daily.
Nuts and oil seeds:
Include 1 – 2 servings of nuts daily as per requirement. Nuts provide proteins, fiber omega 3 oils and other minerals. Nuts are high in fat, thus consume it wisely.
Fruits and Vegetables:
Minimum of 5 – 7 servings of fruits and vegetables is necessary. Fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, fiber. Whole fruits and vegetables have more benefits than juices or processed or tinned fruits or vegetables.
Oils and fats:
Oils and fats include butter, ghee, oil, hydrogenated fat, margarine, and cream. These are calorie dense food group, thus the use has to be only as per requirement. Prefer MUFA rich oils like groundnut, rice bran or olive oil over PUFA rich sunflower or safflower oils.
Read – Margarine Vs Butter
Why is a balanced diet important?
- It provides nutrition to the organs and tissues to function efficiently.
- Lack of adequate nutrition leads to fatigue, stress and poor performance.
- Individuals in growth phase can face growth and development issues if they get poor nutrition.
- Like over nutrition, under nutrition also leads to heart problems, cancer, diabetes and brain problems.
Food restrictions for balanced diet:
- Exclude all junk food like pizza, burgers, fries, hot dogs etc. These foods are high in trans fats that cause cardiac problems.
- Restrict simple sugars, high fat foods and high calorie desserts. Such foods lead to obesity and related disorders.
- Avoid red meat if possible
- Restrict alcohol, aerated drinks as much as possible. These are empty calories unwanted by our body.
No Matter what you eat , Moderation is the key.
2000 calories Indian Diet Plan (Balanced diet for Men and women in weight loss )
Here is a 2000 calories Indian Diet Plan (Balanced diet for Men and women ).
|Breakfast||Tea /Coffee||Milk||1 cup||100||5|
|Fruit||Apple/ Orange/ Mosambi/ Pineapple/ Strawberries/ Guava/ Papaya/ Dragon Fruit||100 – 150 gms||50||–|
|Mid-Morning||Sprouts||Moong/ Chana/ Mothbeans/ Mix||1 cup||100||7|
|Or Egg||Boiled/ Scrambled/ Omelette/ Bhurji||2 eggs||170|
|Lunch||Salad||Mix veg||1 cup||–||–|
|Vegetables||Any green veggie||1 cup||–||–|
|Dal||Tur/ masoor/ Urad/ Mix||1 cup||100||7|
|Or Chicken/ Fish preparation||–||100 gms||100||22 – 26|
|Evening Snack||Coffee||Milk||1 cup||100||5|
|Veggie Rawa Appam||Rawa||30 gms||100||3|
|Onion / Peas||50 gms||25||–|
|Grated carrot||50 gms||25||–|
|Mid-Evening||Nuts & Dryfruits||Almonds/ Walnuts/ Dates/ Dry Fig/ Hazelnut||15 – 20 gms ( almonds/ walnuts – 5 – 6 no. or dates/ figs – 2 no.||100||4|
|Dinner||Salad||Mix Veg||1 cup||–||–|
|Brown Rice/ Pulao/ Khichdi||–||1 ½ cup||200||4|
|Vegetable||Any Gourd vegetable||1 cup||–||–|
|Dal/ Kadhi||–||1 cup||100||7|
|Masala Buttermilk||Curd||1 cup||100||7|
|Oil / day||25 gms||225||–|
Dietary guidelines for 2000 calories Indian Diet Plan :
- Include all food groups in each and every major meal.
- Split your meals. Have 3 major meals and 2 – 3 snacks in between major meals.
- In between snacks have to be light and low calorie.
- Don’t keep large gaps between meals. Keep not more than 3 – 3 and half hours gap between meals.
- Do not skip any meals. This can lead to metabolic imbalance.
- Consume adequate water for appropriate bodily functions. Have minimum of 10 -12 glasses water daily.
- Use oil as per necessity. Oil consumption should not exceed 25 – 30 gms in a day. This includes oil, ghee, butter or margarine.
- Use first quality proteins like milk and products, eggs and poultry and fish in equal amounts as other plant proteins. Dals, pulses, nuts and oilseeds, whole grains and few vegetables provide plant proteins.
- Incorporate vegetables in as many dishes as possible. Vegetables and fruits fulfil your daily requirement of vitamins and minerals.
- You can replace milk products with either eggs or chicken or fish preparation. The only care to be taken is to avoid frying it.
- Exercise either empty stomach early in the morning or in evening half an hour to 1 hour after snacks. Exercise regime can be selected as per choice or requirement with expert’s guidance.
- You should have at least 6 – 8 hours’ sleep. Sleep 2 hours after dinner for better digestion, sleep and normal body metabolism.
Hope this 2000 calories Indian Diet Plan (Balanced diet for Men and women ) be of help to you for reaching your health goals. Please feel free to write to us about your queries on health and we would love to be of help to you .