Baking soda also chemically known as sodium bicarbonate is mostly used for cooking and baking purposes in homes and on commercial levels. Few people know that baking soda can also be used for several other purposes.
Baking Soda History –
Other than its culinary uses, baking soda was used by Egyptians as a soap for cleaning. Baking soda was kept in refrigerators to keep the food fresh . It was also used for its medical properties.
Benefits of Baking soda –
Medicinal uses of Baking soda
• Cold and Flu – Baking soda is said to neutralize the pH of blood, thus might help in bringing instant relief during cold and flu. Mix ½ tsp of baking soda in a glass of cold water. Repeat the procedure 3-4 times with an interval of at least 2 hours.
• Acidity and ulcers – Baking soda is an effective antacid and helps in giving instant relief during episodes of acidity. Even those suffering from ulcer pains benefit from baking soda.
• Splinter – Add a spoonful of baking soda to a glass of water. Twice a day, soak the affected area in this water to effectively remove splinters.
• Insect bites and itchy skin – Make a paste out of baking soda and water and apply over insect bites and bee stings to get instant relief.
Personal uses of Baking Soda
• Toothpaste – Baking soda kills oral bacteria and has a plaque busting effect on teeth. Just dip your toothbrush along with toothpaste in baking soda and rub on your teeth.
• Deodorant – Just pat some baking soda under your arms if you want to do away with body odour.
• Natural exfoliant – Mix 3 parts of baking soda with 1 part of water and use this mix to wash your face and body. This mix can also be used as a hand wash and softener.
• Hair wash – Use a spoon of baking soda along with your shampoo to cleanse your hair thoroughly and remove any make-up/ styling residue.
• Pedicure / foot spa – Add 3 tbsp of baking soda to a bucket of warm water and soak your feet.
• Bath – You can mix baking soda in your bathing water, it will leave your skin cleaner and softer .
Cleaning uses of Baking Soda
• Baking soda can be used for cleaning soiled dishes pots and pan, cleaning microwave. Baking soda can also be used for cleaning furniture , floor, shower curtains , sports gear and for washing baby clothes .
• Baking soda can be used for deodorizing drains, garbage disposals, dishwashers, oven, refrigerators, carpets, vacuum cleaner and closets. It can also be used in deodorizing pet beds and smelly shoes.
Cleaning fruits and veggies
• Sprinkle some baking soda over fruits and veggies and scrub it with a sponge and wash thoroughly. A new and throughway of washing your fruits and veggies out of chemicals and fertilizers.
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos
Hi Payal… As always…ur blog is simple yet v informative and helpful.. They say the best things in life are the simplest… The perfect examples are… Your blogs and my smily….
and my smileys to your sweet comments 🙂
Really helpful to whom want weight loss.
Thanks and keep posting. – Fareed
Thank you for reading at DietBurrp Fareed ! 🙂
So you’re telling me baking soda isn’t bad for you?
You learn something new everyday!