Weekend is the time to unwind from your hectic schedules, let your hair down, rest, socialize and rejuvenate. Unfortunately weekends are also the times when your diet plans and health plans fail. Here are some tips on how to reduce weight during weekend and holidays, without compromising on the fun you have.
A 2007 study published in the journal “Obesity” by the Washington University School of Medicine proves that people who follow a strict diet and fitness plan during the weekdays indulge in overeating over the weekend. Hence they face the problem of slow weight loss. You may ask, how can I reduce weight on weekend when I wish to socialize and do million other things? Well here is your solution.. read on to know how to reduce weight on weekends and holidays.
How to reduce weight during holidays
1. Socialise, but through non–food activities: Weekends are the best time to meet with family and catch up with your buddies. And this is usually done in restaurants over dinner. Wondering how to reduce weight while continuing with such socializing ? Change this habit. There sure must be other health conscious people in your social circle, call them for an early morning walk or cycling or even tracking. You can also meet people at a mall for window shopping or visit some art gallery, or meet them in a sports club over a game of squash or table tennis. You can also go bowling or for a movie or a theater performance. If these options are not feasible and you need to go out for food , then meet them over lunch rather than dinner and choose wisely from the menu.
2. Choose to relax actively – Contradictory as it may sound, Active relaxation is a healthy technique that wouldn’t make you lose weight but it definitely wouldn’t make you put on any. Who doesn’t want to relax over the weekend, but if your plan is to lie down on a sofa and watch TV while you nibble on food, it’s definitely not a good idea. While you watch TV, you can relax and do some face and neck exercise, or pursue a hobby. If you like cooking, painting, playing scrabble or cards, do it. These activities are far more relaxing.
3. Choose some other entertainment options:– Bring variety in your entertainment options. Or you would end up either watching TV on your sofa or eating at restaurants with friends. Make your weekends more entertaining and active by taking a massage at a spa, or visiting a resort with water games. Go to a disco, dance your heart out and burn some extra calories, minus the cocktails. Go camping, trekking, opt for water sports if that is an option, go to carnivals, or simply explore new places in and around your city. Now that is how I would love to reduce weight.
4. Choose your drinks carefully: If you are planning to visit any sports bar or a party where in you might have to choose drinks, remember alcohol breaks down inhibitions and you tend to overeat. Alcohol is also high on calorie. The side snacks consumed with alcohol add to your bulge. It is better to choose single malt scotch and vintage wines instead of the sugary cocktails.
5. Try to find time for your weekend physical activities: We get so busy relaxing over the weekend that it seems hard to find time for physical activities. Don’t give yourself excuses. You don’t really need to go to the gym to burn calories. If you want to be with your wife, or your children or friends over the weekend, plan a long bike ride, swimming, trekking or camping, or simply visit a park or mall and walk around with your loved ones.
6. Let loose but don’t let go on your diet: It is normal to feel deprived over the weekends and tends to this push you to overeat. So it alright to let it lose once in a while to get off that feeling. Eat what you wish to, but in moderation. Even a few extra calories can lay waste your week-long efforts. You can completely pamper yourself if you know you have crossed that extra mile by altering your activities. Treat yourself with some home made low cal ice-cream or a small piece of home made cake if you went trekking or swimming or biking over the weekend.
Now you know how to reduce weight on weekends, We need to understand that entertainment and fun may not always be related to tasty food alone. It is more about being with your loved ones while doing the right activities so that you neither miss out on socializing nor on your health goal over the weekend .
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos
Is trekking a good idea for a holiday with family?
After a long hectic week, these weekend weight loss tips seem to be very helpful to me and yes I really needed them because joining gym costs huge amount and I can’t be regular to them. Thanks for sharing.