One of the most significant fasts observed in our Indian culture is Karwa Chauth. It is just around the corner. This beautiful festival is celebrated with great joy by married women to strengthen their true bond of love for their husbands by keeping one day-long fast for their good health and long life. However this fast may be challenging for women with diabetes hence they need to plan their day ahead, in order to avoid the risk of low blood sugar levels. With proper planning, they can also enjoy this festival with no discomfort. This fast which lasts for about twelve to fifteen hours is considered to be complete after moonrise. Let us take a look on a few tips and guidelines that you can consider while planning this fast. Read on to know about Karwa Chauth Fasting For Diabetes ( Fasting Diet Plan and Tips for Diabetics).
Tips on Karwa Chauth Fasting For Diabetes:
- The first and foremost tip before planning for this fast is to get in touch with your health professional. This can help you carefully plan and approach the fasting rationally.
- If you are on medication then your health professional may change your medicine dosage and ask you to take it at different times throughout the day. If you are on insulin then you will require less of it while starting the fast.
- Another crucial step is to monitor blood glucose throughout the day of fasting to avoid health emergencies.
- Before beginning with the fast, an early meal or predawn meal, popularly known as “Sargi” holds an extremely important place for women with diabetes. Sargi is an energizing meal. A traditional Sergi consists of fruits, Pheni (milk & semolina), dry fruits, sweets, and mathris.
- For diabetics, a combination of complex carbohydrates, high fiber, and protein can help them sustain for the whole day. It is vital to include foods that release blood sugar slowly. This can effectively keep the blood glucose levels stable during the entire period of the fast.
- Breaking the fast- Generally it is wise to break the long fast with water or unsweetened juice and some light food. For diabetics, it is best to sip water first for hydration followed by a protein-rich meal. The post fast diet can include moderate carbohydrates as consuming too many carbohydrates while breaking the fast can cause overly high levels of blood sugar.
Karwa Chauth Fasting For Diabetes (Fasting Diet Plan for Diabetics) :
Here is a sample diabetes-friendly diet plan for diabetics that can help them stay joyous on this festive day. We have included the samples for Sergi meal and a sample diet plan after completion of the Fast.
Diabetic Diet Plan for Sergi (Pre-dawn meal):
- 1 bowl Rajgeera porridge with nuts(Almonds and walnuts).
+ 1 bowl mixed fruits with chia seeds ( Apple, Papaya, Pomegranate) Sprinkled with a pinch of cinnamon powder.
- 1 Bowl Apple kheer ( Apple porridge with chia seeds and dates as a replacement for sugar).
- Singhara or kuttu flour chilla (Add grated bottlegourd, and carrot in the batter).
- 1 cup dry fruit pudding with chia seeds and cinnamon powder.
- Makhana kheer ( fox nut porridge with chia seeds and dates as a replacement for sugar).
- Oats and apple kheer ( porridge with chia seeds, oats, apple and dates as a replacement for sugar).
- Oats upama with veggies + 1 apple.
- Paneer stuffed paratha with 1 big bowl of curd.
Along with the main meal options given above. you can add a handful of nuts like almonds and walnuts, pecan nuts or fox nuts. It is best to not restrict your water intake. Dehydration will worsen your health and increase the chances of Hypoglycemia even more. If at all you want to restrict your water intake, It is best to avoid foods like wheat, rawa, and rice which demand more water for better digestions. These foods will easily make you thirsty. As an option, you can close this meal with a glass of coconut water.
Diabetic Diet Plan for Fasting (completion of fast / Fast breaking meal / Fast opening meal):
You can have any of the options mentioned below.
1 Glass barley lime water/ Coconut water with chia seeds
2 masala missi rotis
1 cup pumpkin/ cucumber raita / Dal
1 cup palak paneer sabji.
1 bowl Vegetable Dalia upama or oats upama
1 cup pumpkin/ cucumber raita
Paneer / Gobi / Carrot stuffed paratha
1 cup plain curd
1 cup any green leafy vegetable
1 cup of warm milk with a pinch of nutmeg powder
To know which fruits and vegetables are best suited for your diabetes watch this video. Dont forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel. Subscribe now
Fasting forms a part of our culture and can be beneficial only when it is performed in a healthy and planned manner specially for women living with diabetes. Hence, it is highly important to take adequate precautionary measures before keeping the fast. The above-mentioned diet plan is designed for diabetics keeping in mind their health and taste. I hope our Karwa Chauth Fasting For Diabetes ( Fasting Diet Plan and Tips for Diabetics) helps you in planning your festival appropriately. Please feel free to ask your questions/queries in the comments.
Dont forget to check our other important Diet plan for diabetics.
- Intermittent Fasting diet for diabetics.
- Keto diet plan for diabetes.
- 1200 calorie weight loss diet plan for diabetics.
- 7 days diet plan for diabetes.