How to increase metabolism? Now what does that has to do with weight loss? The first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “diet” is that of you going on an endless fasting spree and stop eating food. Well, this is the first mistake that we commit when it comes to weight loss.
No matter what diet or exercise pattern you follow, there is one common factor on which the weight loss depends. Yes you got it right! It is metabolism. Weight loss is directly related to your metabolic rate. Higher the metabolic rate, greater the weight loss rate. So now coming down to the big question, “how to increase metabolism ?” Here is a list of some foods that would help. Read on to know how to increase metabolism.
How to increase metabolism :-
These foods mentioned below will help in increasing metabolism.
1. Water – Water is the most under- rated drink of all when it comes to weight loss. But water has a very important function in the body whether on weight loss or otherwise.
When on weight loss, the body tends to burn up more calories from fat cells, in this process a lot of metabolic waste is produced. Water helps in removal of these waste products, thus making you feel fresh and good. You may have noticed that many a times women who lose weight, look pale and weak, that may be because they are not drinking as much water as needed.
So, how can you increase metabolism with water? Drink it hot or cold? Yes! Researches from Germany have proven that when water is consumed warm or cold (anything other than the normal temp), metabolic rate increases up to 25 % after 1 hour of consumption. Hence distribute water every hourly in your routine, decide on warm or cold depending on the weather and suitability.
2. Green Tea – I call green tea a miracle drink. You cannot imagine how many health benefits are hidden in this tiny cup of tea. It helps against cancers, stroke, atherosclerosis, stress, other heart ailments. It helps in keeping you young forever. The catechin polyphenols and flavonoids helps in increasing metabolism up to 4%.
3. Lemon – Lemon’s Vitamin C content helps in detoxifying liver. Liver being the metabolic machine in our body, it is loaded with a lot of metabolic functions. The waste created during this activity starts getting deposited in the liver and processing speed is lowered. This also leads to slower metabolism and thus weight gain. Lemon helps in increasing metabolism by clearing metabolic wastes from liver.
4. Spinach – Spinach has excellent amount of fibre, iron, potassium and magnesium. All these nutrients help in removing free radicals from the body and facilitate the weight loss process.
5. Coffee – Coffee has a love – hate relationship with health. It can be useful when consumed in limited amounts. A cup of coffee can increase the concentration and metabolic rate, and keep it elevated for a little while. Although this should not be overdone, as it may affect health otherwise by causing acidity.
6. Apple cider Vvinegar – Apple cider vinegar contains pectin. It helps in increasing the metabolic rate, and flushing extra cholesterol, toxins and fats from the body. It thus helps great deal in losing weight.
7. Cayenne pepper – Who says healthy food is bland. You can spice it up with cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper is known as a fat burning food due to its heat generating properties. Its thermogenic properties also help in increasing the metabolism and thus aids in weight loss.
8. Whole grains -Whole grains like broken wheat (daliya), oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat flour and its products provide complex carbs and fibre. They increase the metabolism and keep the blood sugars in control.
How to increase metabolism with Protein foods –
9. Almonds – Almonds are store house of essential fatty acids. Taking 4-5 soaked almonds in the morning on empty stomach ensures increased metabolism, and it helps in curbing cravings. Thus helping in weight loss.
10. Eggs – Egg whites are rich in albumin protein. They help in building up lean body mass and muscles while burning off the fats from the body. Protein foods like eggs, require the body to secrete more digestive juices. This internal activity of secretion of more juice, gets the body working and hence the metabolic rate increases, there by facilitating weight loss.
11. Lean meats and fishes – Metabolic rates are higher in individuals who have more lean body muscle mass and less in individuals with more fat mass. Eating protein foods like fish and lean meats / white meats help in increasing metabolism by increasing muscle mass. These protein foods help in utilizing ATP and thus build up muscle mass. The Omega 3 fatty acid content of fish is further helpful for health in many ways.
12. Yogurt – This probiotic food helps in growth of essential bacteria in the gut. These bacteria facilitate digestion, and speed up a sluggish digestive system. It helps in correcting digestive issue like gas formation, acidity and thus increases the metabolism.
After reading this write up on how to increase metabolism, I am sure you won’t starve yourself to lose weight. Eat more of these mentioned foods and you will see how you will lose weight without starving. Now that you know how to increase your metabolism, you sure would be able to lose weight effectively. You may be interested in the 1200 calorie Indian diet plan for weight loss.
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos