Dear readers , we have a brand new reason for you to be excited about your weight loss journey . Here is an Indian version of zone diet for weight loss. Dr Barry Sears is the mind behind the zone diet. The diet claims to reduce diet induced inflammation. There are studies showing that inflammation in the body leads weight gain, getting sick and age faster. Thus, targeting to reduce inflammation keeps the body disorder free. This Indian version of Zone Diet also claims to improve your mental and physical performance while living a longer more fulfilling life.
Indian version of zone diet
The Zone is a physiological state in the body with ability to control diet-induced inflammation. This is measured by few tests like LDL to HDL ratio, amino acids and EPA ratio and glycosylated haemoglobin. The LDL : HDL ratio needs to be less than 1, amino acid: EPA – 1.5 – 3 and HbA1c 5 %. And Indian because here we present to you the Indianized version of this zone diet.
Benefits of Indian version of zone diet:
- You lose excess body fat fast
- Maintaining wellness for a longer period of time
- Better performance.
- Faster thinking
- Slowing down the aging
Who benefits most with zone diet? Who can follow the Indian version of zone diet for weight loss ?
- People undertaking cross fit training
- Individuals who wants to lose weight
How does This Indian version of zone diet work?
The Zone Diet claims to control gene expression and hormonal balance. Once the hormones are balanced, it helps to live longer and better life. Food too can bring about positive or negative changes in your body via hormones.
The Zone Diet has all major food groups:
- Natural protein sources like milk and products, egg, poultry and lean meat
- Complex carbohydrates with low glycaemic index
- Monounsaturated fats like olive oil
With a correct proportion of proteins, carbohydrates and fats you can control insulin, glucagon and eicosanoid hormones.
Insulin – It is known as a storage hormone. Excess insulin stores fats in body cells and this in turn increases fat deposition in body. Excess fat deposition accelerates inflammation in the body.
Glucagon – Glucagon is a hunger hormone. When the blood sugar level drops, there is secretion of glucagon that helps release of stored carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are released in form of glucose. Drop in sugar levels in the body leads to major impact on brain cells. Thus, a constant supply of glucose is important.
Eicosanoids – These hormones act on the inflammation in the body. Increase in inflammation helps release eicosanoids to control it. Imbalance in inflammation and eicosanoids can lead to various metabolic disorders.
Let us now see the details of Indian version of Zone diet for weight loss.
Indian Version of Zone Diet for Weight Loss
Each meal in the Zone has 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% complex carbs.
There are two methods for the Zone Diet:
- The hand-eye method or
- Using Zone food blocks
The Hand-Eye Method
In this method, you use your hands to determine your portion sizes. Calories recommendation is 1,200 – 1500 calories per day.
- Your five fingers remind you to eat five times a day and
- Never go without food for five hours.
Use your eyes to look out for portion size on the plate. First divide the plate in one third division.
- 1/3 rd lean protein: One-third of your plate must contain a source of lean protein, roughly the size of your palm.
- 2/3 rd carbs: Two-thirds of your plate must be filled with low GI complex carbs
- A dash of fats: Add very little of monounsaturated fat to your plate, such as olive oil, avocado or almonds. It should not go beyond a teaspoon.
The Zone Food Block Method
Zone food blocks are an accurate method to calculate exact amount of proteins, carbs and fats that you can consume.
The calculation of number of Zone blocks per day depends on your weight, height, waist and hip measurements.
The reference man of 60 kgs eats 14 Zone blocks per day. While the reference female of 50 kgs eats 11 Zone blocks per day.
There are total 6 meals, 3 major meals and 3 minor. 3 major meals include breakfast, lunch and dinner. 3 minor meals are snacks in between these 3 major meals. Major meals such as contains three to five Zone blocks, while a snack always contains only one Zone block.
Each Zone block contains a protein block, a fat block and a carb block.
- Protein block: Contains 7 grams of protein.
- Carb block: Contains 9 grams of carbs.
- Fat block: Contains 1.5 grams of fat.
Major meals examples –
- Fruit smoothie along with boiled egg
- Oat meal with almonds along with a fruit
- Eggs with capsicum
- Medium sized chicken wrap
- Meat roll
- Mashed potatoes with grilled chicken
- Wholesome salad with egg and some fruits.
Single block meals –
- Hard-boiled eggs with hummus
- One fruit with three almonds and a serving of paneer
- A serving of fish with 2 servings of fruits.
The hand-eye method is the easiest way to start the Zone Diet. Using hand and eye method is more practical but block method is more accurate.
Foods included and foods excluded in Indian version of Zone Diet :
There is no complete restriction on any foods. A low fat and high protein food like poultry, egg, lean cuts of meat, fish is allowed. Fruits, vegetables and millets are allowed. Good quality fats like olive oil, almonds and avocado are included.
Vegetables and fruits with relatively high sugar – like corn, carrots, bananas, and raisins are restricted. Fatty meat and egg yolks are restricted.
Limitations of Zone diet:
- You’re supposed to eat a meal within an hour of waking
- Never let more than five hours go by without eating, and
- Have a snack before bedtime.
- Maintaining 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs is bit difficult. You should have each and every major food group in each meal. You cannot have a protein laden lunch or rest other meals high in carbs.
Exercises and zone diet?
Yes!! It is the parallel part of the diet. Follow a moderate aerobic exercise of 30 minutes daily with 5 to 10 minutes of strength training. You can take up brisk walking or swimming or jogging or cycling.
Select a diet suitable for you and your lifestyle. Discipline in your daily food intake is the key to the positive results. Take proper advice from the qualified professional to understand any diet change and before experimenting on any diet.
I’m Caucasian american and have been following the zone diet for more than 10 yrs. I love Indian food. Do you have a book for your recipes or a website?
RD, Payal Banka (Registered Dietitian)
Hello mam, thank you for reading at dietburrp. Sorry we dont have much in depth information about zone diet on our website. It;s just this 1 article.
I am Over weight and want to lose it . Kindly suggest me a diet,which results me 5-6 kg month.
https://www.dietburrp.com/7-days-vegetarian-diet-for-weight-loss-5-10-kgs-indian/ check this … or you can get a personalized diet plan from us … email us your details at email@example.com