Hirsutism is an abnormal condition that has the most distressing symptoms of the polycystic ovarian syndrome. This condition is characterized by excessive body and facial hair. Hirutism is triggered by excessive production of hormones called androgens that regulate the maintenance and development of the male characteristics. Pcos also brings in a lot of breakouts and Acne in some women. Let us see remedies for facial hair in PCOS ( Hirsutism in PCOD).
Women with hirsutism commonly experience excess hair on the back, chest, toes, as well as on the neck. The best way to treat this clinical condition is to correct the hormonal imbalance. However, there are many other immediate methods to reduce the visible effects. Some of the options that might help to treat hirutism are mentioned below.
Remedies for Facial Hair In PCOS ( Hirsutism in PCOD)
Remedies for Facial Hair In PCOS ( Hirsutism in PCOD) includes-
- At home hair removal procedures.
- Professional hair removal methods.
- Other Home Remedies.
Let us see the details of each possibility.
At home hair removal procedures:
This is the most common and obvious option to remove the hair. Shaving helps to cut hair at the skin surface. When the shaft happens to be thick or dark, then the blunt edges get noticed. This procedure needs to be performed on a regular basis in order to stay clear of the hair.
Disadvantage: It can result in the growth of razor bumps and ingrown facial hairs. To add to this problem, a dull blade can further cause damage. Hence it is advisable to use a sharp blade in addition to a good moisturizing cream to avoid skin irritation.
This procedure can be done by applying a thin layer of molten wax which is then plucked out by the use of waxing strips. This method can be done every three weeks.
Disadvantage: Waxing is effective but can cause short term swelling and redness. It entirely depends upon the amount of hair that is to be removed and quite painful. It can lead to ingrown hair.
Bleaching can make the hair visible by lightening the hair color. It works great for the less dense and softer hair on the chin, arms, and face. You can make use of any bleaching creams that are found in the market or even prepare a homemade bleaching cream.
Disadvantage: This method is time- consuming and doesn’t work for the skin that is hypersensitive as it can cause a lot of irritation. Also, this method cannot mask the dark, thick and wiry hair.
An epilator is specially designed to pull out multiple hairs. It is similar to waxing and ideal for home use.
Disadvantage: This device can be unsuitable as well as painful for longer hair.
Plucking and tweezing
Plucking and tweezing work well to remove unwanted and scattered facial hair. It helps to remove strap hairs from the chin, cheeks, eyebrows and upper lips. This process is very accurate but usually involves some pain.
Professional hair removal methods:
This procedure involves the insertion of a small needle into the follicle that delivers an electrical charge in order to kill the hair from its root. It is an effective and safe technique of hair removal.
Disadvantage: Thicker and darker hair might need several sessions.
This procedure is carried out by a dermatologist who applies an intense ray of laser light on the hairy skin area. This procedure can safely remove hair for a longer period of time than the other at home hair removal techniques.
Disadvantage: This technique is expensive. The skin of the treated area looks like it is Sunburned. These effects clear off in a day or 2.
Apart from these methods here are some natural ways to manage hirutism.
Long term Management and Remedies for Facial Hair In PCOS :
Maintain a healthy weight:
Women with PCOD who lose weight can directly improve their Hormonal status. It not only improves their reproductive health but also helps to manage diabetes and prevent the high risk of heart disease. Although it will not directly affect the hair growth but maintaining a healthy weight is a natural way of managing all PCOD symptoms.
Some of the natural tips to get rid of excess weight include:
- Focus on eating healthy to shed excess weight. Your diet plan should consist of lean proteins, fiber-rich foods, and healthy fats. It is important to have frequent small meals. Read – Indian diet plan for weight loss in PCOS.
- Avoid sugary and salty foods. In general junk and processed foods contain empty calories. Read – Diet tips for PCOD.
- Engage in regular physical activity. Read – Best Exercises for Weight loss. Plan and indulge in the activities that you truly enjoy doing to get yourself moving. A short walk, house cleaning, dancing or doing yard work can make it easier for you to form a habit of building a regular activity in your routine.
- Reduce your stress levels. Stress is one of the causes of weight gain. Getting enough sleep, yoga, listening to music, meditation can refresh you both mentally and physically. It can erase your stress levels by putting yourself in a positive frame of mind in order to achieve weight loss. Read – Effects of cortisol on weight.
- Consider following the DASH diet. Several studies have indicated that this type of diet has helped PCOD sufferers in losing a significant amount of weight. This diet involves the restriction of sodium and incorporation of low-fat dairy products in addition to plenty of whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. Read Indian version of DASH diet.
Get rid of Acne:
Acne is caused by hormonal imbalance. To prevent PCOD related acne you can try and follow these tips and Home remedies-
- Green tea – This popular drink can work wonders to your skin when used as a face rinse. It can reduce oil production and inflammation. It provides great protection to your skin from the bacteria that cause acne.
- The botanical willow bark– This powerful ingredient can treat acne and calm inflammation as it is rich in salicin. It is great for clearing the breakout- prone skin.
- Moroccan Rhassoul Clay -Moroccan Rhassoul Clay is beneficial in drawing out impurities from the skin. It is rich in silicon, potassium, and magnesium which can greatly work for inflamed skin. To prepare the mask, you can mix in the clay in warm water to form a paste. To this mixture, you can add ¼ teaspoon of chamomile tea leaves. Let dry the paste on the skin and wash off with warm water.
- Australian tea tree oil – This is another most popular remedy to treat PCOD- related acne which has the ability to minimize the heavy sebum production and inflammation.
- Aloe vera – This is the best remedy that strikes the right type of balance by being light and moisturizing to prevent blockage of pores. Aloe vera juice has calming, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that can make the skin less blotchy and more balanced.
- Grapefruit Extract – This fruit extract can prove to be highly beneficial mainly for congested skin complexions. Since it is a great vitamin C source, it is a natural exfoliant for the skin. It also acts as an astringent that can balance and tone the oily skin by clearing away the pores and keep it free from blemishes.
Hirutism is caused by high insulin levels that result in increased hair production and testosterone. Though there are a lot of drugs available to manage the same, they cannot treat its underlying cause.
In general, the above-suggested tips and diet can play a huge role in managing this abnormal condition. A good diet, home remedies, and the right supplementation have the power to tackle this pesky symptom of PCOD.
We are working on collecting more information about PCOD and PCOS for your health. We are also making a video compilation on the topic. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel now.
Read More Article on Pcod :