Aromatherapy involves massaging or inhaling certain essential oils for skin care that are diluted in carrier oils. This alternative medicinal therapy has been used for pain relief, psychological and physical well being. When inhaled, the aroma of these essential oils is believed to stimulate brain function. It can also be absorbed by the skin and carried through the circulatory system to lend a general well being. These essential oils for skin care help by moisturising and rejuvenating.
What are essential oils for skin care?
Essential oils are distilled from the leaves, bark, flowers, and root of a tree or plant. Essential oils are different from the chemically created fragrant oils. These are concentrated and potent. Therefore, these need to be mixed or diluted in carrier oils before using it on the body. These have some medicinal and cosmetic benefits. Here are a few essential oils for skin care.
Essential oils for skin care :-
• Rose: Rose oil is very beneficial for dry and sensitive skin. It works as a tonic, soothes inflammation by constricting the dilated capillaries.
• Sandalwood: This oil is especially good on dry skin and eczematous conditions. It softens the skin. Mix it with cocoa butter and use it as a good neck cream.
• Lemon: Lemon oil removes dead skin. Pale-looking dull skin livens up after application of lemon oil. However, as lemon oil is phototoxic, exposure to sunlight after application should be avoided.
• Rosemary: Sagging skin gets a boost with this oil. It tones and tightens the skin. Pregnant ladies should avoid using this as it has a stimulating effect on the uterus.
• Lavender: Lavender oil has many benefits. It rejuvenates and promotes the production of new cells. It has a balancing effect on the sweat glands, thus good for both oily and dry skin. Apart from that, it has a healing effect on sunburns, burns, acne, eczema, etc.
• Ylang Ylang: This oil also has a balancing effect on the sweat glands, so can be used for both oil and dry skin.
• Geranium: Good for both problematic skin and mature skin. It works as an overall skin cleanser.
• Chamomile: This oil improves elasticity, strengthens the tissues, and reduces puffiness. Good skin cleanser. Helpful in cases of broken capillaries.
• Neroli: This oil is beneficial for people who have stretch marks or varicose veins. It helps regenerate skin cells and improve elasticity.
These essential oils for skin care are mixed with carrier oils and then put to use.
What are carrier oils?
Carrier oils are derived from seeds and nuts. They also provide therapeutic benefits to the skin. After mixing with the required essential oils, it should be left aside for 1 to 2 days, so that it blends with it well.
Different Carrier Oils
• Olive Oil: Olive oil is rich in antioxidant properties and contains various vitamins. It effectively removes stretch marks, scar, and eczema. It has anti-inflammatory benefits as well.
• Jojoba Oil: This oil has moisturising qualities and can be effectively used as an eye make-up remover. It balances the skin sebum, thus good for both oily and dry skin.
• Sweet almond oil: Has antibacterial properties, fights wrinkles, good make-up remover and moisturiser.
• Avocado oil: Age spots, sun damage, and scars make a quick exit by regular application of this. It increases the collagen in the skin. It rejuvenates and regenerates the skin.
Essential oils for skin care help by moisturising, toning, and rejuvenating. Stocking some essential oils and soaps seems a wise thing to do, so that when you are “feeling blue”, you can lift your spirits up with these “very essential oils for skin care.”
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos
I’ve got dry skin and due to that there are white spots on my face which is not soo visible….but is increasing…what should i do?
white spots can be due to many reason . please see a dermatologist .
Please suggest essential oil for hyper pigmentation and sensitive, rash prone combination and thin skin. I’m 36 and have pigmentation akl over face. I also have pcod since 8 months.
my skin from my childhood is really nice,nearly oily but never was prone to acne or any type of skin problems.people were asked how i got that problemless super glossy skin.but this year at october before durga puja i went a beautyperlour for a facial.after facial i got rashes in my face.for a long time it lusted and pimples came out on my face. i started using ayur’s astringent and toner.pimple got reduced in few days but till then whenever I am putting any cold cream or moisturiser at night on my face ,pimples are coming out. and again toner and astringent are saving me. in this winter i can not apply my moisuriser or cold cream. what can i do?will i continue with cleaner,scrubber,astringent and toner only?in this winter? oh one thing again, my skin suits multani mitti well.what should i do?
yes just follow the same routine , you can apply aloevera gel .
I have dry skin and little pigmentation.also I have dark circles.I want to get rid off my dark circles.No creams are helping me out.
I use Ponds BB cream as sun screen and Multani matti with powder at night for fairer skin.
I need your consultation on the use of product those I m currently applying on face.
im unsure about the cosmetic products you have mentioned, as my clients have mixed reviews about them , but multani mitti will definitely help you.