While some of us wake up with the same question on most mornings, How to get rid of constipation ? Getting a bowel movement the first thing in the morning after waking up may be a routine to a lot of people. For all those who are seeking an answer to the question, ” how to get rid of constipation ?” you have come to the right place. read on to know the home remedies that would provide you instant relief in constipation.
Image :Copyright: samotrebizan / 123RF Stock Photo
Constipation refers to painful bowel movement that is caused due to improper diet, medicinal side effects, hormonal imbalances and metal toxicity. In today’s world, constipation has become a very common problem. Our hectic schedule doesn’t give us much time to see what we’re eating and most of us end up eating a diet that is deficient in nutrients.
How To Get Rid Of Constipation
Most commonly, the diet we eat is deficient in roughage. The roughage or fiber helps to ease bowel movement. Whole grain cereals, fresh fruits and vegetables, wheat bran, legumes and seeds contain a high quantity of soluble dietary fiber and they help good bacteria to grow in the colon. This in turn helps in the smooth bowel movement and prevents constipation.
There are various prescription drugs that are available in the market to cure constipation, but they also cause a lot of side effects. Not only do they affect the liver adversely, they can’t be used for a prolonged period of time. There are many people who suffer from consistent constipation, especially old people. There are many home remedies for constipation. If you are among those who keep wondering on how to get rid of constipation, here are some home remedies for instant relief in constipation.
Home Remedies for constipation in infants
Infants usually suffer from constipation when they are introduced to solid food. Insufficient intake of water, formula milk and lactose-intolerance are some of the other reasons of constipation in infants. It is very difficult to calm an infant when he/she is suffering from constipation. The little ones cannot express themselves completely but you can easily make out from their uncontrolled crying and the acute tummy ache; that they are suffering from constipation.
Here are some Indian home remedies for constipation in infants:
Image :Copyright: romannerud / 123RF Stock Photo
Soak 4-5 raisins in water overnight. Squeeze the juice out of the swollen grapes and give this to your baby. It helps to pass motion very fast. Dry red grapes are much better than green ones to relieve constipation.
- Castor oil – Mix a few drops of castor oil with the mother’s milk and feed this to the baby. It can also be given with a teaspoon of lukewarm water. This dose needs to be given once a day till the baby is relieved.
- Spinach Rice – Cook a small quantity of green gram dal with spinach puree and rice. Take a separate pan and add some oil and put the mixture of dal, spinach and rice in to this pan and simmer for a few minutes. This is a very effective home remedy for constipation in infants.
- Orange Juice
Image : Copyright: romannerud / 123RF Stock Photo
During summers, add some water and dilute orange juice. This is the best way of getting rid of constipation. During winters , have this mix only in the afternoon.
Home remedies for constipation in pregnancy
Pregnant women are also very susceptible to constipation. They constantly think about how to get rid of constipation. Flatulence, gas and acidity problems are also very common during pregnancy. The major cause of constipation during pregnancy is hormonal change. Increased iron supplements, decreased food and water intake also add to the problem of constipation.
Here are a few Natural home remedies for constipation in pregnancy:
- Watermelon –
Image :Copyright: olvius / 123RF Stock Photo
Boil some watermelon seeds and make tea with this seed extract. Sipping watermelon seeds tea helps to relieve constipation.
- Exercise – Regular exercise can help to relive constipation. However, care should be taken to avoid any strenuous exercise and check with your healthcare provider whether exercise is safe for you or not.
- Coconut Oil – One tablespoon of coconut oil before each meal can help to soften the stool and facilitate easy bowel movement.
Image :Copyright: nikolay2 / 123RF Stock Photo
Yoga can help a great deal in relieving constipation. Pregnant women are taught various postures that are helpful while giving birth. These postures are also helpful in constipation. Keeping the knees at an angle of 90 degrees helps to evacuate the bowels. Another pose that is really helpful is the Wind relieving pose. This pose will not only help to relieve constipation, it is also helpful in passing gas.
- Use the washroom as often as you want
Image :Copyright: nu1983 / 123RF Stock Photo
Pregnant women may feel the need to urinate very often. They should never avoid the urge. Use the washroom as often as required. When you sit on the toilet seat, just relax your pelvic muscles. This helps to empty the bladder more fully and also relieves constipation.
Home remedies for constipation in adults
Before you think of finding answer to the question, “how to get rid of constipation? “. It is important to first find the reason behind constipation. Health disorders such as hypothyroidism, colon cancer, Parkinson’s diseases, improper diet, irregular potty habits, and inadequate intake of water, stress and lack of physical exercise are some of the causes of constipation in adults.
Here are a few Indian Home remedies for constipation in adults:
- Amla Powder – Just take a teaspoon of amla powder with water every day before going to bed. Being a natural laxative, it is really helpful in relieving constipation.
- Lemon juice –
Image : Copyright: vesnacvorovic / 123RF Stock Photo
Take a glass of lukewarm water and add one teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt to it. Drink this every morning on an empty stomach. The cleansing properties of lime and the lubricating properties of salt will help to evacuate the bowels without pain.
- Flaxseeds – Make a fine powder by grinding some flaxseeds along with a few sesame seeds, 2-3 sunflower seeds and a few almonds. Take one tablespoon of this mixture everyday to get rid of constipation.
- Guavas –
Image : Copyright: likephotoman / 123RF Stock Photo
Consuming guava seeds can help to relieve constipation, since they contain very high fiber content.
- Ghee with Milk –
Image :Copyright: daphoto / 123RF Stock Photo
Take a glass of hot milk and add a spoon of ghee to it. Drink it every night before you go to bed. This is an age old home remedy or constipation.
- Methi Seeds – Soak a few methi seeds overnight and drink this water in the morning. This is a very effective Indian home remedy to relive constipation.
- Isabgol (psyllium husk) – This is one of the best way to get rid of constipation instantly. if you have been suffering from constipation for more than a day or 2, isabgol is your answer. just mix 1-2 tsp isabgol in a glass of warm milk and consume at bedtime for a week . this will not only relieve constipation but it will also help in regularizing your bowel movements.
I hope now that your question of how to get rid of constipation is answered , you will make use of the given information to solve your constipation problem. It is advisable to include lots of fibrous foods in your diet to avoid constipation. Drink lots of water and include some form of physical activity in your daily routine. If you still suffer from constipation, try some of the above Natural home remedies for constipation and you’ll get instant relief.