How to gain weight ? A question which dietitians are rarely asked in this world where obesity dominates all the other health issues. But only a person who is underweight will understand the seriousness of it. Gaining weight is equally hard as is losing weight. Both problems require you to exercise properly and eat healthy food. Lets find out how to gain weight.
The reasons for being underweight –
- Eating disorders
- Chronic diseases
- Lack of physical activity.
There are chances that an underweight person will have lower immunity levels and can easily fall prey to illness and infections. The rate of recovery in underweight people is slower than in healthy individuals.Thus there is a need for an underweight individual to gain weight and become fit.
Here are some tips on how to gain weight:-
How to gain weight –
• Counting calories: Calculate your basic calorie requirement.You want to know how to gain weight ? You will have to increase your calorie intake. Add 500 calories per day to your current requirement. Those who work out or are physically very active, have a higher energy requirement. If such is a case the calories consumed should be greater than the amount of calories you burn.
• Eat more: The most common answer to your question how to gain weight. Everybody will ask you to eat more. Yes, you need to increase the quantity of food you eat, but at the same time you have to make sure you are eating healthy. Eat five to six meals a day. Avoid skipping any meal. Knowing how to gain weight involves consistent eating. Increase your portion size. If you eat 2 chapatis, then start eating a 3rd one. Take a second scoop of pasta, or add two bananas to your bowl of cereals. Or try the oatmeal banana blueberry bread.
• Choose calorie–dense foods: Choose foods that are higher in healthy calories. For example choose to eat corn, potatoes or peas instead of carrots and cucumbers. Eat a banana, custard apple, chikku or mango instead of a watermelon or orange juice. Peanut butters and cheese makes a calorie-dense yet nutritious spread for your sandwich. Read food labels for the serving size and the calories.
• Adopt good habits: The repetitive advice to increase your food intake does not mean you start eating unhealthy, fried, sweet or junk food for that matter. Adopt healthy habits. Eat your meals on time. Do not skip any meal, specially breakfast. Whatever you eat at breakfast is better absorbed and utilized by your system. So don’t forget to take a handful of nuts everyday along with good quality protein like toned milk and boiled eggs. Maintain a 2 hour window between each meal so that you can feel he hunger and eat better quantities.
• Add more liquids: You may be thinking how to gain weight with liquids. But drinking appropriate quantity of water or other liquids will help you in flushing all the waste products accumulated after digestion of those extra calories you ate. Drink water or juices. If you dislike drinking water, choose on flavored water , apple juice, milkshakes , smoothies etc. Specially if you are working out, the body needs that extra liter of water.
• Avoid junk food: All this while you read that you must increase your calorie intake. A lot of people often use the synonym high calorie to junk food. What we forget is that junk food is not only high in calories but provides trans fats. Sure you want to know how to gain weight, but in a healthy manner. Avoid cupcakes, cookies,cakes, margarine , processed meats and packaged foods.
• Weight training: A lot of people are of an opinion that exercise is for people who want to lose weight. How to gain weight with exercise? Exercise works both ways and will make you fit by getting you to your right weight. Whether it requires losing some pounds or putting on some pounds, exercise will stimulate your appetite, increase your energy needs and more over convert those extra calories into muscle instead of fat. Read about Protein supplements .
• Sleep more: Sleeping is the best thing you could do to keep yourself healthy. yes it is as important as exercising is. Unfit people are almost always sleep deprived. make sure you sleep for at least 7-8 hours every day.
The key to the question, ” how to gain weight ?” is to find the cause behind being underweight. If the reason for you being underweight is stress or tension, then instead of exercising and eating, you should concentrate on yoga, meditation or other relaxing techniques to become healthy. If it is heredity, there are chances you might not put on much even after trying every bit. but don’t get disappointed. Just work your way towards health and fitness. Who says you don’t qualify to be a fit person if you weigh 2 kgs less than what you should.
So to summarize on how to gain weight, all you need is exercise, healthy food, and some rest!
Image : Copyright (c) free digital photos