Most of us in our childhood have experienced blood blisters after accidental pinching of skin. And we kept wondering about How to get rid of Blood blisters . That blue to black spot that appeared on the skin kept reminding you about the accident. But you dont need to worry anymore. Here are some tips on how to get rid of Blood Blisters.
Image :Copyright: roblan / 123RF Stock Photo
When the skin of your toes or finger gets bruised and/or pinched, you are most likely to suffer from a blood blister. Unsightly as it seems, a blood blister is also really painful since it contains blood, dead cells and other body fluids. A blood blister can be caused due to sunburn, viral or fungal infection. Harsh pinching and exposure to harmful chemicals. It isn’t easy to manage a blood blister.
Are you supposed to pop blood blisters?
When you dont know how to get rid of Blood blisters, we get desperate to pop it with a pin or any sharp object. Most people find it very difficult to wait for a blister to heal by itself. They are tempted to puncture it. This is a very incorrect practice. If you pop the blister, you could get many other skin infections. One should take all precautions to keep the blister from bursting. The best solution is to raise the blister so that blood flows away from it and you may then apply a cold pack. Most blisters drain out and then get dried after a few days. Covering the blister with a bandage makes it heal faster.
How to deal with blood blisters?
When we talk about dealing with blood blisters, many people get anxious and they want to know do blood blisters hurt? They do hurt a bit at times but there is nothing to worry about. In most of the cases, the blood blister bursts on its own. Now you simply need to wash the affected area at least twice daily with cold water. This helps to ensure that it is not infected by bacteria or other microorganisms. Apply an antibiotic cream and try to retain the top skin of the blister. Continue to apply a cold pack if pain persists.
How long do blood blisters last?
Blood blisters usually last anywhere between 30 – 48 days. This is the time taken by the epidermal cells to shed the dead skin cells and acquire new skin.
How to get rid of blood blisters using Home Remedies?
Home treatment is the best treatment for blood blisters. It is safe and can be done at your convenience. Here are some home remedies or curing blood blisters:
- Cucumber – It contains a trace mineral – silica, which helps to strengthen the connective tissues. Cucumber is also known for its cooling properties. When it is applied on the blood blister, it helps to provide immediate relief from inflammation, pain and swelling. Just cut a cucumber in to thin slices and apply one slice on the blister.
Image : Copyright: olvius / 123RF Stock Photo
- Turmeric – It has been used to heal wounds since many decades due to its medicinal and antiseptic properties. Prepare a paste using a teaspoon of turmeric, honey and rose water and apply it on the affected area thrice a day.
- Aloe Vera – Known for its anti-inflammatory properties, aloe vera has a cooling effect. Just apply fresh aloe vera gel on the blister and get rid of the pain.
Image : Copyright: jk1991 / 123RF Stock Photo
- Sandalwood – It is also known for its healing and cooling properties. It helps to absorb all the heat from the blister. Just mix one teaspoon of sandalwood powder with rose water and apply this paste on the affected area. Allow it to dry and wash off with cold water. Repeat this at least 3-4 times a day.
You may be interested in Reading –
Blood blister in Mouth
Having a blood blister in the mouth is one of the most frustrating and painful mouth problems one can have. If you have a blister in your mouth, it is very difficult to chew food and swallowing hot liquids can also hurt the blister a lot. Blood blisters occur on the tongue and the gums usually due to biting on the inside of the cheeks or lips. Sometimes, blisters occur due to braces or while brushing your teeth roughly. Some other causes of a blood blister in the mouth include hormonal changes, bowel disease, stress, iron and Vitamin B12 deficiency, Behcet’s disease and eating acidic or spicy food. Blood blisters in the mouth can also be a result of a food allergy or due to certain prescription drugs.
How to get rid of blood blisters in the mouth?
Blood blisters formed due to a nutritional deficiency can be treated by supplying the required nutrients to the body. If you are prone to food allergies, you should avoid eating certain foods and avoid acidic and spicy foods. One can always look for substitutes of prescription drugs that cause blisters in the mouth. Substitutes may not contain the salt that is responsible for the blister. Using a mouthwash and toothpaste with sodium lauryl sulfate helps to prevent blisters in the mouth.
How to get rid of blood blisters in the mouth with Home Remedies
You need not visit a specialty store; just look in to the kitchen drawers and you’ll find various foods that help to cure blisters in the mouth. You can easily cure blood blisters in the mouth with ingredients that are readily available at home:
- Regular intake of tomato juice helps prevent blisters in the mouth.
- Eat some curd and a banana every day to prevent blisters in the mouth.
- Chewing basil leaves twice daily to cure blisters.
- Applying peppermint oil on the affected area helps to get rid of irritation and pain caused due to blood blisters.
- When suffering from blisters in the mouth, avoid using the toothbrush. Apply the toothpaste on your finger and massage on your teeth gently.
- Mix one teaspoon each of turmeric and glycerin and apply on the affected area. Turmeric is known for its antiseptic properties and glycerin helps to heal.
- Garlic is a very good disinfectant. Just chew a garlic pod and soothe the blisters on your tongue.
- A cold compress and also give relief from pain.
- Take some water and boil it with coriander seeds. Gargling with this water thrice a day helps to get rid of blisters in the mouth.
- You can also gargle with coconut water mixed with a teaspoon of honey. Coconut water has a cooling effect while honey is known for its healing properties.
Now that you know how to get rid of blood blisters, Use these tips wisely and do not pop it.