Proteins are the building block of the body. They are very essential for the body’s metabolism. Our body undergoes continuous wear and tear which requires amino acid for the energy and regeneration of new cells. Each and everybody part be it hair, nails, skin, bones, blood all need proteins. Read on to know about the Indian High protein low carb food chart for weight loss.
Proteins are stored as muscles which then break down when we require fuel for energy. There is a constant need for energy thus to maintain muscle integrity is very important. The daily good quality protein intake helps maintain our muscle storage. With age, the requirement for protein increases.
Functions of Protein:
- Blood cells via circulation carry all the nutrients throughout the body. Proteins are an important part of the structure that makes up these blood cells used as a carrier medium for the nutrients. The digestion and absorption of nutrients also take place via these protein-based transporters.
- Our body carries various different metabolic processes in the body. These vital processes need enzymes as catalysts to carry out the process efficiently. These enzymes are protein-based.
- As we sleep, our body produces melatonin which helps repair our cells and regenerates the tissues. Every few days our skin rejuvenates, constantly there is the removal of free radicals from the body. Such wear and tear in the body require proteins.
- Hormones have protein as the base. These hormones perform various activities and maintain our body’s metabolism.
Why is protein an integral part of the diet?
- Protein is made up of smaller units known as amino acids.
- Of the 22 amino acids, 9 are considered “essential’. They are essential because the body cannot produce them. You need to supply it via diet.
- Rest can be made in the body itself with a sufficient and continuous supply of good quality protein.
What is the Daily Requirement of Protein:
The daily requirement of protein is 0.8 – 1 gram per kg body weight. But there are studies that show a high protein diet helps in losing weight and has other health benefits.
Types of proteins available:
- First-class proteins: These are complete proteins. They contain all amino acids required by the body. All variety of animal proteins is first class proteins. For example, poultry and eggs, fish, milk, and milk products.
- Second class proteins: These are the sources that lack in 1 or more amino acids. All vegetable proteins are second class proteins. For example, dals, pulses, cereals, millets, soy, nuts, and oilseeds.
How can you improve the protein efficacy in your diet?
- Include at least 1 first-class protein in your meal
- In absence of first-class protein, combine two or more second class proteins in a right combination
High Protein Intake and Weight loss:
Proteins controlling appetite and fullness of stomach post meals:
Researchers suggest eating a high protein diet suppresses the hunger pangs post meals. It also reduces the appetite in the following meal. Proteins release the hormone ghrelin that signals the brain to reduce the hunger pangs. It keeps the stomach full for a longer period of time and gives a sense of fullness post meals. This indirectly leads to less food intake and fewer calories intake. Less caloric intake thus leads to weight loss as it takes the body into a negative energy balance. Read – How to control food craving?
Protein and metabolic rate:
High-protein foods take extra effort to digest, metabolize, and get absorbed. This causes the body to burn more calories by just digesting the proteins. More proteins more are the calories burnt. Studies show it increases the metabolic rate by 20 – 35 %. Read – How to increase metabolic rate.
Proteins for weight loss and improving body composition:
Several studies indicate that increasing protein intake promotes weight and fat loss. The protein metabolism breaks down fat for fuel. This indirectly leads to fat loss in the body. Also with high protein intake, the relative carbohydrate intake reduces. Fewer carbs in the diet mean less circulating sugar and less fat deposition. Protein might not play a direct role in fat loss but it surely helps burn fat and lead to inch loss.
Along with fat loss, the proteins do not lead to muscle loss. It rather helps gain muscle mass. With increased muscle mass, the metabolic rate will remain high for a longer period of time. This will also prevent metabolic slow down which can be caused by reduced caloric intake.
- 7 days High protein diet plan for weight loss.
- Atkins diet plan for weight loss.
- Low carb diet plan for weight loss.
- Keto diet plan for weight loss.
Indian High Protein Low Carb Food Chart For Weight Loss
Few key points to remember to maintain a high protein low carb food chart for weight loss:
- Calculate protein needs: The protein has to be accurate according to your body weight and requirement. Or else the effect won’t be very significant. For the exact amount, you can multiply your weight with 0.8 – 1 gram protein as per the requirement. For this, you need help from a certified expert.
- Include both animal and plant proteins in your diet: Eating both first class and second class protein in the diet is a must. It gives your body the opportunity to utilize each and every kind of amino acid available in foods.
- Choose high-quality protein sources: Select 50 % of protein calories from the good source or the first-class proteins. The remaining 50 % should come from vegetable protein.
- Consume well-balanced meals: Balance your high-protein foods with vegetables and fruits. A high protein diet may lack fiber. Thus, fruits and vegetables will provide the daily recommendation of fiber. This will help avoid bloating, flatulence and constipation.
Indian High Protein Low Carb Food Chart For Weight Loss:
Early morning: 1 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon soaked methi seeds (soaked overnight).
Breakfast: 1 cup tea (no sugar) or coffee (no sugar) + 4 mung dal paddu with 1 cup Sambar and coconut chutney or 1 small Egg whites’ Omelette (2 Egg whites to be used) OR 2 mung dal chilla with green chutney.
Lunch: 1 Cup Vegetable Salad + 2 Mix flour Chapati + 1 Cup Vegetable + 1 Cup Dal/ Pulse + 1 Cup Curd/ 100 gms Chicken/ 100 gms Fish/ 2 Egg whites
Mid-afternoon: 1 Glass thin buttermilk
Evening: 1 Cup Green tea + 1 cup sprouts or ½ cup Tossed / Grilled Paneer cubes
Bedtime: Soaked Nuts and Dried fruits (4 Almonds + 1 Apricot + 1 Fig)
High protein low carb Atkins diet plan ebook for weight loss:
Atkins diet plan for weight loss ebook is a comprehensive guide for 1 full month diet chart to lose 8 – 10 kgs of weight. The Atkins diet comprises 4 phases. each phase can be followed for 1 week or 2 weeks based on your weight loss goal. Atkins diet is a High Protein, High Fiber, Moderately high Fat, and low carb diet that supports fat loss just like the keto diet. The only difference is that it is easier to follow than keto and has much more variety of foods than the keto diet allows. We have simplified the Atkins diet to suit every Indian household cooking. Read more about this book.
The ability of proteins to suppress hunger, increase satiety post meals and enhance metabolic rate helps weight loss. Maintenance of muscle mass helps in losing weight and improving body composition. A well balanced and well-planned meal is the key to guaranteed weight loss. Hope this Indian High Protein Low Carb Food Chart For Weight Loss.