Hassle free weight loss is now possible! An Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss is an eating pattern where you restrict carbohydrate intake and increase protein intake and maintain a moderate fat intake. An Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss allows 20 to 40 grams of carbohydrates in a day. Some low-carb diets greatly restrict carbs during the initial phase of the diet and then gradually increase the number of allowed carbs.
There are various kinds of low-carb diets that can cause weight loss and improve health. Each diet has varying restrictions on the types and amounts of carbohydrates you can eat. This depends on how healthy you are, how much active you are and what is your weight loss target. Let us check this Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss. The two typical Low carb diet plans for weight loss that are famous around the world are:
- The Indian version of the Atkins diet plan for weight loss.
- Indian ketogenic diet plan for weight loss.
The above-mentioned diets are fixed menus and difficult to follow by every person. Hence, we have Designed this Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss. This is very easy to follow and a practical diet plan. The menu is based on the day to day food items that we already use in our households. This not only makes dieting easy but also helps in losing weight.
How to plan an Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss?
In a low-carb diet, one must limit the following foods:
- Most grains,
- Fruits and starchy vegetables,
- Bread and pasta, and
- Most Indian Sweets and desserts.
We as Indians have carbohydrate as our major component of the diet. It is especially difficult for the vegetarians to switch to a vegetarian low carb diet plan for weight loss. Most vegetarian foods contain at least some amount of carbs, unlike meats which are almost zero carbs. Indian vegetarian low carb diet plan for weight loss can include some amount of complex carbohydrates, pulses, and legumes, as well as some sprouts. It can consist of some fibrous fruits and vegetables too.
Health benefits of a Low carb diet plan:
Low-carb diets help in preventing various health conditions. Some of them are listed below.
With a low carb diet, we see significant weight loss along with improvement in other health parameters. This aids in correcting metabolic syndrome.
Ingestion of limited carbohydrates eventually leads to less sugar spike in the blood. Controlled levels of blood sugars help in fruitful management of diabetes.
High blood pressure and cardiovascular disease:
Including lots of fiber through low carb fruits and vegetables not only manages the blood pressure but also helps in weight issues.
Improves lipid profile:
The inclusion of lean protein not only helps to improve high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol but also improves triglyceride values. There is also a decrease in total cholesterol in the body.
Other benefits of a low carb diet include
- Shrinking fat stores,
- Improved mental clarity, and
- Better digestive system.
- Less acne as well as Improved skin,
- Fewer migraines, as well as
- Better fertility in some cases.
Health Risks and Side Effects of a Low Carb Diet Plan:
Short term side effects of a Low carb diet plan includes –
- Bad breath
- Muscle cramps
- Skin rash
- Constipation or diarrhea
If a Low carb diet is followed for a longer duration, It may lead to the following side effects –
- Vitamin deficiencies,
- Mineral deficiencies,
- Bone loss and
- Gastrointestinal disturbances.
Hence, this diet is not recommended for individuals in growing age. If you are between 11 years to 16 years, you can follow our Indian diet plan for Childhood Obesity
Who Should Not do a Low Carb Diet for Weight Loss?
- Taking medication for diabetes: If you take insulin or other diabetes medications. There are chances of hypoglycemia episodes. Hence, follow the diet only under a dietician’s guidance.
- Taking blood pressure medication: Low carb diets can further reduce blood pressure. You can follow the diet under the strict supervision of a certified professional.
- Breastfeeding: It can lead to deficient intake of all nutrients required during lactation. Which in turn can get detrimental to an infant and nursing mother both.
Indian Low Carb Diet Plan For Weight Loss:
Let us begin with planning our Low carb diet plan. Just follow the steps as stated below –
List of Foods to Include in a Low Carb Diet:
Inclusion of 1 serve/day of complex carbs is allowed to balance out the needed nutrients. This can be in the form of:
- Brown rice,
- Maize, Bajra, as well as jowar.
- Broken Wheat/Daliya as well as couscous, quinoa, and oats.
- Read -Indian foods rich in complex carbohydrates.
Non-vegetarians can include:-
- Lean meats, Chicken as well as Pork.
- Sea foods like Fish, lobster, shrimp, as well as Crab.
Vegetarians can include:-
- Milk, Cheese, Paneer, Curd as well as Feta cheese.
- Legumes and pulses like – mung dal, Lobia , channa, chickpeas as well as Horse gram.
- Sprouts Made from green moong, moth as well as channa.
- Nuts like walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, Pecan, macadamia nuts etc.
- Seeds like Sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds. Flax seeds as well as chia seeds.
- Omega 3 rich oils,
- Nuts as well as oil seeds,
- Olive oil, peanut oil or coconut oil for cooking.
- Nut butters like almond butter or peanut butter.
List of Foods to Avoid in a Low Carb Diet:
Avoid table sugar and sugar containing foodstuffs. Avoid soft drinks, fruit juices, candy, ice cream and many ready to eat products that contain added sugar.
- Refined grains:
This may also include starchy grains like wheat, rice, barley and rye, as well as bread, cereal and pasta. Also, restrict refined flours like maida, corn starch, Arrowroot flour as well as potato flour.
Exclude hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils or oils that produce trans fats on heating. Few ready to eat products such as junk food and fast foods also have trans fats. You need to keep a tab on such foods too.
Diet and low-fat products:
Many dairy products, cereals as well as crackers are fat-reduced and marketed as diet foods. However, these foods contain added sugar and starches. It is best to avoid such foods.
It’s best to limit starchy vegetables in your diet if you’re following a very low-carb diet. These include all root vegetables.
Helpful Tips for planning a Low Carb Diet Plan:
- Keep breakfast super low on carbs. Either opt for only egg preparations with black coffee or Sprouts with black coffee.
- Replace all starchy carbs with high fiber veggies and protein options.
- When eating out on our low carb diet plan for weight loss, get an insight of the recipe and opt for a high fat, high protein and low carb recipe. Any egg recipe without use of much carbs is the best option when you eat out.
- Low carb ready to eat foods do not aid in weight loss but have exact opposite reaction. Avoid to fall prey to such gimmicks. Instead of choosing Baked chips , baked chakali, that are sold with the name of diet snacks, Choose to eat healthy high fiber fruits as well as nuts and oil seeds.
- You can fill the in between meal times either with zero calorie liquids like green tea or low calorie liquids like buttermilk. This will keep you full till next meal.
Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss; Sample diet plan
Here is a sample of 1 full day of Indian low carb diet plan for weight loss.
|Early Morning||1 Glass warm water with Lemon and 1 tsp chia seeds|
|1 glass Almond milk and Avocado Smoothie with Walnuts
1 omelet with Lots of capsicum
2 small Mung dal chilla
|1 cup Chamomile tea / Green Tea
1 cup Cinnamon tea
1 Orange / Grape fruit / Apple / Strawberry / Blueberry
|1 cup Spinach Broccoli soup / mix vegetable soup
+ (Option 1) 2 cups Egg or paneer Quinoa Green Salad / Boiled chickpea salad
(Option 2)1 cup Brown rice pulav with lots of vegetables / Oats Upama
+ 1 cup Raita
(Option 3) 150 gm Grilled / Baked/ sauted fish with herbs
(Option 4) 150 gm chicken breast
|1 Glass Thin Buttermilk OR 1 glass sol kadhi OR 1 glass Lemon mint infused water|
|1 or 2 boiled eggs OR Kale chips OR 1 avocado and 1 boiled egg salad|
|1 cup Zoodles + 3 – 4 small size Mushroom Patty with salsa dip
1 soup bowl Kulith Dal(Horse gram dal) with chopped tomato and onion on top
OR1 Soup bowl Green split mung dal soup + 100 gm paneer cubed with lemon and pepper
Tomato caprese salad (2 tomatoes and 100 gm paneer) + Bone broth / clear veg soup
|Bed time||1 glass warm water with lemon and 1 tsp chia seeds|
In between the meals you are allowed to consume infused water, green tea or spice and herb concoctions. This will keep you full and also fulfill vitamin and mineral requirement.
If You are a vegetarian, you may find more diet options here:-
- Top 10 Indian vegetarian keto recipes.
- Indian vegetarian keto diet plan for weight loss.
- Indian Keto diet plan for diabetes.
- Top 10 Indian keto recipes.
- Indian Keto diet plan for beginners.
Low-carb diets may lead to greater weight loss when compared with other diets. A study shows that high protein, low-carbohydrate diets offers significant weight and fat loss. Cutting calories and carbs along with the extra protein and fat keeps you feeling full for long. This is how we achieve our weight loss target. The key to this diet is to select the right foods that the body require.