Benefits of Cucumber are due to its following nutrients:
- Dietary fiber
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B3
- Vitamin B5
These nutrients Attribute to numerous health benefits of cucumber. Let us explore the health areas which are benefited with the consumption of cucumbers:
Benefits of Cucumber
- Skin Care: Cucumber displays diuretic, cooling and cleansing effects. These effects are beneficial for the skin. The high water content, Vitamins A, B and C and the presence of minerals like magnesium, potassium, manganese and silica make cucumbers an essential part of skin care. Facial masks containing cucumber juice are beneficial for skin tightening. Ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumbers can bring down the water retention rate which in turn diminishes the swelling and puffiness around the eyes. another benefits of Cucumber slices is that it can bring relief to the skin affected by sunburn or windburn.
- Digestion: Digestive problems like heartburn, acidity, gastritis and even ulcers can be cured by the daily consumption of fresh cucumber juice. These benefits of cucumber are availed due to its Dietary fibers which drive away the toxins from the digestive system and hence promote the digestive process. Daily consumption of cucumbers can be regarded as a remedy for constipation.
- Joint Health: Silica, present in cucumbers, promotes joint health by strengthening the connective tissues.
- Protein Digestion: Cucumber contains an enzyme called Erepsin which aids in the digestion of proteins.
- Blood Pressure: Potassium, Magnesium and fiber present in cucumber aid in the maintenance of normal blood pressure levels.
- Tapeworm Elimination: A lesser known but much effective benefits of cucumber is attributed to its seeds. Cucumber seeds are considered as natural remedies to eliminate tapeworms from the intestinal tract. The seeds are also known for their anti-inflammatory properties which have been found effective in the treatment of swellings of the mucous membranes of the nose and the throat.
- Nail Care: Cucumber, rich in silica, can prevent splitting and spoiling of the nails of the fingers and the toes.
- Gout and Arthritis: Cucumber juice is rich in vitamins A, B1, B6, C and D, Folate, Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium. This juice mixed with carrot juice can provide relief in gout patients by lowering down the uric levels.
- Teeth and Gums: Teeth and gum diseases especially pyorrhea can be treated effectively with cucumber juice. Raw foods like cucumber are rich in dietary fiber and these fibers massage in the teeth and the gums. Raw foods also increase salivation and this again brings a neutralization of the acids and the alkalis within the oral cavity.
- Diabetes: The juice has been found to be beneficial for the diabetic patients. This can be attributed to the presence of Manganese which assist in the synthesis of natural insulin.
- Kidney Care: Another lesser known benefits of cucumber is that Cucumber shows healing attributes in relation to the diseases of the urinary bladder and the kidney. The water content of cucumbers aids in the functions of the kidney by promoting urination. In fact, cucumber is the best natural diuretic.
- Hair Growth: Cucumber juices containing silica, when added to the juices of the carrots, spinach and lettuce, promote the growth of hair. Silica is present in the connective tissues of the body. It promotes hair growth and a diet rich in silica results in glossy hair and healthy bones.
It is now expected that you would savor salads garnished with cucumbers more than what you used to do before! If some you were just having cucumbers out of compulsion and based on your dieticians’ instructions, then consider relishing cucumbers with various delicious salad dishes. Form your own recipes to avail the numerous benefits of cucumber!
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos