Have you been burning the midnight oil? Not getting enough sleep? The dark circles under your eyes have already revealed the entire story. Here are some Home remedies for dark circles under eyes.
Image : Copyright: whiteshoes91 / 123RF Stock Photo
Darkened skin under the eyes is referred to as dark circles. When there are visible dark circles under your eyes, you look fatigued, un-presentable and old.Before we see the home remedies of dark circles, it is important to know that fighting and working on the underlying cause of dark circles is the best cure for dark circles. Some of the most common causes of dark circles are:
Causes of Dark Circles
- Not getting enough sleep is the most common cause of dark circles.
- Sleeping for too long can also cause dark circles under the eyes. The more you sleep the more sleepy you feel and the eyes become puffy and dark.
- Heredity may also be a cause of dark circles. If either of your parents have dark circles, you might just inherit them.
- Staying in the sun for too long increases the production of melanin in the body, hence causing dark circles.
- Anxiety and stress make you think too much and put stress on the eyes.
- Overexertion. Working for more than 18 hours a day and late in to the night can cause dark circles.
- Cigarette smoking can also cause dark circles since people who smoke may often suffer from nicotine withdrawals while sleeping.
- Eating too much salt causes water retention in the body and leads to dark circles under the eyes.
- Allergies from dust and pollution make a person sneeze a lot and the blood vessels around the eyes become dark.
- Eczema may also cause dark circles.
- Drinking too much alcohol may make you lose sleep, eventually leading to dark circles.
- Excess crying can cause nasal congestion and this can cause dark circles.
- Fluid retention caused during weight gain or pregnancy can be a cause of dark circles.
- Aging makes the skin lose its elasticity – collagen and the delicate skin under the eybecomes dark.
The good thing is that one can easily get rid of dark circles without stepping out of the house.
Dark circles spoil your look and most people search for such home remedies for dark circles.These can make dark circles disappear overnight in some cases while in other, they can be reduced over a period of time.Here are the most popular home remedies for dark circles:
Home Remedies for Dark Circles under eye
Here are a few Home remedies for dark circles under eyes.
Use Almonds –
The nourishing properties of almond make it very effective in reducing dark circles. Almonds contains a high amount of Vitamin E, which is really good for the skin. you can use Almonds in oil form or paste form. (Read – Health benefits of Almonds )
Tip – Take a few drops of sweet almond oil and gently massage it on your dark circles before going to bed. Let it stay overnight. Wash it in the morning.
Practice yoga to get rid of dark circles –
Yoga has been known to benefit the human body in many ways. It helps to increase the flow of blood to the blood vessels under the eyes and thus reduce dark circles naturally.
Which yoga aasanas will help in reducing Dark circles under eye
Tip – The asanas most helpful for reducing dark circles are:
• Hastapadotasna – Stand forward and bend in front. Try to touch your feet. This asana helps to energize the nervous system and increases the flow of blood to your face.
• Surya Namaskar – This asana is a compilation of 12 poses and it helps to detoxify the body. It stretches the entire body and relaxes the body.
• Viparitakarani – Apart from reducing dark circles, this asana is extremely helpful in relieving back pain. Just lie down on the floor facing a wall and raise your legs such that they touch the wall. Stretch your arms on each side and relax.
Place cucumber on the eyes
Cucumber as a home remedies for dark circles has been used to soothe the eyes since a long time. Loaded with antioxidants such as cucurbitacins, orientin and vitexin, it helps to reduce dark circles considerably and provides relief to tired eyes. (Read – Benefits of cucumber on skin )
Tip – Just take a fresh cucumber, cut it in to thin slices and refrigerate. Take them out after half an hour and place a slice on each eye for 10 minutes. Remove and wash off with cold water. Do this two times every day for about a week.
Cold tea bags –
Image : Copyright: deniskarpenkov / 123RF Stock Photo
Green tea helps to calm the blood vessels under the eyes and its astringent properties reduce the dark circles.
Tip – Just take two green tea bags, dip them in water for a while and refrigerate. Place the cold tea bags over your eyes for 10-15 minutes and then remove them. Wash with cold water.
Mint paste –
Image : Copyright: tongdang / 123RF Stock Photo
Mint leaves contain lots of Vitamin C and they help to improve the dark circles.
How to use Mint leaves as a home remedy for dark circles ? 4
Tip – Take a few mint leaves, crush them and grind them in a grinder with a few drops of water till you have a smooth paste. Apply the mint paste under the eyes and allow it to stay for 10 minutes. Wash off with cold water
* Note – Test the paste on a small area of your arm to rule out any allergic reactions.
Use potato juice –
Image : Copyright: trinetuzun / 123RF Stock Photo
Potatoes contain skin lightening properties due to the presence of a pigment. They are very helpful in reducing dark circles.
Tip –Take a raw potato, peel it and grate it. Put the grated potato in a muslin cloth and squeeze the juice from it. Soak a cotton ball in the potato juice and place it on the affected area. Allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes, remove and wash off with cold water.
Orange and glycerine mask –
Image : Copyright: vadimgozhda / 123RF Stock Photo
Both orange juice and glycerine are rich in antioxidants. Additionally, orange juice also contains Vitamin C which acts as a bleaching agent. (Read – antioxidants and their benefits on skin)
Tip – Just mix a few drops of glycerine with a teaspoon of orange juice. Apply this mask on the affected area and allow it to stay for 10 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
Other Tips for treating Dark circles under eyes
Apart from the above home remedies, a few lifestyle changes can also help to prevent dark circles from occurring:
• Do not stay up till late at nights .Try and get sufficient sleep
• Do not overwork yourself. Try to stay calm and relaxed
• Avoid excess consumption of alcohol. You can rather opt for healthy mock-tails on your next outing with friends.
• Quit smoking if you do.
• Eat salt in moderation
• Do not stay in the sun for too long and always wear a good sunscreen and sunglasses (Read – how to remove sun tan quickly)
• Avoid stress
• Use a good anti-aging cream (Read – List of Anti aging foods)
• Avoid crying too much
You may be interested in reading –
Hope these Home remedies for dark circles help you in treating the dark circles from its root . And you can have a beautiful Skin.