How to lose pregnancy weight? Pregnancy is the most beautiful phase in the life of a woman. The new addition to your family brings so much joy and love to you. Along with happiness comes a question which most women find worrisome – “How to lose pregnancy weight?” A lot of women wonder if they will ever get back to their pre-pregnancy body shape. Pregnancy and labor are phases where the body has to undergo a lot of hormonal, physical and mental changes, all of these accounts for the fat and weight gain. Keep reading to know how to lose pregnancy weight.
On average a woman gains around 12 to 15 kgs of weight during pregnancy. The total weight gain can be more in cases of complications or certain medical conditions during pregnancy. The increase in food intake owing to breastfeeding the baby also accounts for some gain in the weight. This weight gain is inevitable. But who says weight loss after pregnancy is not possible? Here is your answer to, “How to lose pregnancy weight? ”
How to Lose Pregnancy Weight?
Start at the right time:
You may wish to start at the earliest, but that is not wise. Don’t forget that until your baby is 6 months old, you are his only source of nutrition, any careless eating or dieting will have a direct impact on the baby’s health. So don’t rush. Just start eating wisely. Eat nutritious food and not all nutritious food is high in calories. Choose wisely. Once you start giving top feeds to your baby, its time to consider your diet.
You can start some low impact exercises like walking after 2-3 months, but do talk to your doctor before starting. However, it is wise to start with vigorous exercises only after 4-5 months.
Tips on How to Lose Pregnancy Weight:
Here are some simple tips on workout and diet that you can start using right from the beginning of your weight loss journey. Dont fear from working out. Just get an assurance from your doctor and start as indicated below.
If you had a normal delivery:
You will be able to start with light exercises like walking, yoga, and meditation by 3rd month. 5th month onwards you can go for brisk exercises. Avoid heavy intensity and high resistance exercises until you reach the 7th/ 8th month. Do it only when you feel physically strong and you do not face difficulty while doing any exercise. The best part about walking is you can carry your baby along with you in strollers or slings.
Women who were into lifting and strength training can restart their workout from the early months’ post-delivery. However, your doctor’s permission is important.
Overall, try to increase your daily activity level, take the staircase instead of the lift, park your vehicle farther from your destination. etc.
If you had a c section delivery:
It is best to ask your doctor about when you can start to lose pregnancy weight after a C-section. Approximately by 5th month, it will be safe for you to start with low-intensity exercises. However, you too can start being active around the house or work area in general. Walking is best suitable in either case.
Did you know?
Do you know that breastfeeding the baby can help you lose weight? Well, this is true. A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition states that women who breastfeed their babies are more likely to lose weight than those who do not. When the baby is breastfeeding, a hormone called oxytocin is produced in the body which helps in weight loss. Breastfeeding also helps in burning fat layers. A woman burns around 500 calories a day by breastfeeding. So how to lose weight after pregnancy? Breastfeed your baby!
Dietary modifications and Tips:
- Do not start dieting for the first 3 months after delivery. From the 4th month onwards, you can start paying attention to exclude food items that are fat-laden but lack nutrition, like French fries.
- Avoid red meats, choose lean meats and fish and egg whites.
- Avoid excess the three whites, namely Maida (refined flour), salt and sugar.
- Include more complex carbs like whole grains.
- Drink as much water as you can. This will take care of the metabolic waste load and thus make weight loss easy. Warm lemon water is also beneficial.
- To lose weight effectively you need to avoid all the extra calories from junk and fast food. Snack on healthier foods like raisin and almonds, popcorn, popped cereals, baked veggies as well as soups and salads.
- I have seen a lot of ladies buying ragi chakli, and other so-called healthy snacks. I would appeal to you, to not get fooled by such smart snacks. Even if that chakli is made of ragi instead of besan, it is still deep-fried in oil which does give similar calories as a regular chakli. Read labels to understand what you are actually eating.
Beneficial Post -Pregnancy diet plans:
- Post Delivery / Confinement diet/ Jhapa diet plan after normal delivery. ( First 40 days diet).
- Confinement / Jhapa diet plan after C section.
- Indian diet plan for Lactating Mothers ( What to eat after the first 40 days / Post Jhapa diet).
- Home remedies to increase breastmilk supply.
- Weight loss diet plan for Lactating mothers ( follow from 6- 7th-month onwards).
- Indian diet plan for babies top feed ( from 4th month to 1 year ).
Post-delivery a woman undergoes from a lot of physical and mental stress, you will feel exhausted and tired at most times. You will notice that your work capacity and stamina has gone down. So you may wonder how to lose pregnancy weight in such a condition. The physical exertion you did on a daily basis before conceiving looks like a big task. Don’t give up. It is just temporary, and nothing really can stop you from losing weight.
So now you know how to lose pregnancy weight. Chart out a proper weight loss plan. Read how to lose weight effectively.
Image : Copyright (c) 123RF Stock Photos