Giving birth to a child is a life transforming moment for a woman. For many, post pregnancy days are filled with insecurities,Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India sleepless nights, uncertainties, healing uterus, birthing scars, unappealing body. Sadly, instead of embracing the motherhood, many lactating mother’s can’t stop worrying about their body image. They rush for unplanned diet, workouts and often forget that the quantity and quality of milk for the child depends on the food consumed. Thus, affecting baby’s nourishment and well being. So here we bring for you a perfect Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India.
Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India
While you are breastfeeding your baby, your body uses extra calories to produce milk. And while the baby is sucking on your breast , your body produces a special hormone called “oxytocin” . This hormone facilitates weight loss by bringing the uterus back to its shape. Hence lactation actually supports weight loss.
It may seem like you are preventing yourself from losing post-partum weight gain. Many fear that decrease in the calorie intake may affect the supply of milk to their babies. Actually, new-born require constant feeding which in turn leads to sleep deprivation and mid-night snacking or lack of energy to prepare balanced meals.
So, it is necessary to make more informed approach. Ensure you follow a sensible diet plan or consult a Nutritionist who can help you with planning the diet accordingly.
Important Tips on weight loss while breast feeding your baby
Here are some important tips on what things you need to keep in mind while you follow a Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India.
General tips on eating :
- Healthy eating is of the utmost importance for lactating mothers. A well balanced protein, fats and carbohydrates is a must.
- Avoid fad and crash diets. They will meddle with your body’s equilibrium and metabolism.
- So no GM diets and no Keto diet. No paleo diet and no low carb diet. Follow a well planned balanced diet , that has all micros and macros intact for better nourishment of your baby through milk.
- Breaking down your daily calorie needs into several mini meals during the day helps you to supply constant milk and keeps your metabolism high thus burning more calories.
- If hungry in between meals, snack onto some nuts, khakra, murmura, dhokla, makhana, salted popcorn, multigrain crackers, soya sticks, chikkis, sprouts and fruits.
- Use smaller plates to consume your meals hence avoiding over indulgence.
- Eat slowly and chew your food a little longer. You need to relish your food to satisfy your taste buds.
- Ensure you don’t gulp down the food in rush. Sit down on the floor/dining table or chair, relax, enjoy and eat.
- Be aware of your portion sizes of the foods you consume.
Nutrients that are important to include in diet :
- An extra serving of milk and curds should be had to increase the intake of calcium.
- Include protein rich foods like milk, curds, whole eggs, paneer, lean meats, nuts, whole pulses.
- Include healthy fats like ghee, coconut oil, almond oil, butter, cream in moderation as it helps to burn body fat and improve hormonal balance.
- Ensure you stick to more filtered oil rather than refined ones.
- Supplement your meals by using complex carbs wholesome foods like bajra, barley, jowar, bran flakes, and millets.
- Replenish your vitamins and minerals by consuming 5-6 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Make up your iron and folic acid to prevent anaemia and to regulate your haemoglobin levels.
- Level up your Vitamin D levels by soaking in the morning sunshine as it helps in absorption of calcium.
Foods to improve lactation (galactogogues) :
- Foods to improve lactation (galactogogues) must be incorporated to produce enough milk. Include foods like almonds, garlic, ragi (finger millet), spinach, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, Panjiri, bottle gourd, dill leaves, and methi can be consumed.
- Check article on Indian diet plan for lactating women suitable for both normal and c section deliveries .
- Read benefits of Methi seeds, benefits of Almonds , Health benefits of Ragi and benefits of Bottle gourd.
Food specific tips for Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India :
- As much as possible, avoid consuming oily and spicy foods as the taste and flavours gets transferred to the baby through milk.
- If you are a fan of consuming sea fish, make it occasional as the mercury may be passed through the breast milk and hinder baby’s development.
- A liberal intake of fluids is essential as the production of milk is dependent on the amount of liquids consumed. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking water, green or herbal teas ( caffeine free), herbal infusions, juices, soups and buttermilk.
- Opt for fresh fruit juices instead of aerated beverages.
- Smoking and drinking should be avoided as they affect the growth of the baby.
- Always choose foods with little or no sugar added.
- Pay more attention what your body says. If you are craving for a particular unhealthy food, distract yourself and ensure you choose a healthier alternative.
Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India ; Sample diet plan
Here is a sample of weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India.
|On waking up||Milk||1 glass|
|Panjiri mix||1 tbsp|
|Breakfast ( 9 AM)||Sprouted moong and spinach dosa/chila||2 no|
|Tomato ginger chutney||2 tbsp|
|Vegetable dalia (broken wheat)||1 cup|
|Vegetable raita||1 cup|
|Boiled eggs||2 no|
|Whole wheat bread||2 no|
|Mid- morning (11 AM)||Buttermilk||1 glass|
|Soaked almonds||20 no|
|Herbal infused water||1 glass|
|Lunch (1 PM)||Green leafy salad/sprout salad/quinoa salad||1 cup|
|Chapathi/ fulka/ roti||2 no|
|Panner gravy/ Garlic rasam/bottle gourd sabji||1 cup|
|Carom seeds (ajwain) / fennel seeds water||1 glass|
|Mid-evening (3PM)||Coconut water/green tea/ ragi porridge||1 glass|
|Evening snacks (5 PM)||Wheat crackers/ murmura/khakra/makhana/dry fruit chikki||1 cup|
|Mixed laddu (almonds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, coconut, jaggery)||1 no|
|Pre-dinner (7 PM)||Fenugreek seeds water||1 glass|
|Dinner (8 Pm)||Red rice||1 cup|
|Fulka/ Chapathi||2 no|
|Dill leaves/ methi sabji||1 cup|
|Baby carrots||2 no|
|Bed –time (10 PM)||Milk||1 glass|
|Ragi malt||1 tsp|
Note – The quantity mentioned in the diet plan may be insufficient if you are feeding Twins and triplets. If so , please comment below and let us know , we will modify it for you.
Also read – How to lose pregnancy weight to know about the exercises that you need to do . When to start and what should be the intensity ?
Along with the diet, moderate exercise will help to improve the quality of the milk, boosts energy levels and stimulate to shed few pounds gradually. However, wait for 6 to 8 weeks before starting any regime and consult your physician / gynaecologist before starting off or if you face any problem.
Each individual is different and each body reacts to diet and exercises differently. So, do not lose hope if you are finding difficult to shed weight. Each one has different pace and as long as you are burning more calories than consuming, weight loss process becomes easier. Always remember that you gained weight slowly and you will lose weight slowly. It is important to remember every time that, the goal is to lose weight gained during pregnancy. If you would like to shed below your pregnancy weight, then your body may or may not co-operate with this Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India. You may need a different diet plan.
So, we hope this Weight loss diet plan for lactating mothers in India helps you find your pre pregnancy body soon 🙂 All the best.