In my earlier article, I wrote on pre-work out nutrition tips. Post-workout nutrition is equally important as far as nutrition is concerned.
Post-workout nutrition helps in several ways:-
1. A lot of fluids and electrolytes are lost through sweat during exercises. Post workout nutrition helps in replacing these lost fluids and electrolytes.
2. After an intense session of workout, your connective tissues in the body and muscle fibre might undergo small tears. Post-workout nutrition will help in refueling your body, and reduce the wear and tear process.
3. It helps in restoring energy levels and rejuvenating you after workout.
Post-workout nutrition tips :-
Post-workout nutrition can be consumed within 45 minutes of your workout. It also depends on your workout schedule.
1. Liquids – Liquids are important part of post-workout nutrition. Dehydration can increase fatigue and weakness. Liquids are hence very important after workout. Try flavored water
2. Electrolytes and minerals – Fruits and veggies are great source of electrolytes and minerals. Citrus fruits are specially rich in antioxidants and help in removing all accumulated metabolic waste from exercises.
3. Carbohydrates – Carbs are a great source of energy for your body. After a workout, your body will have utilized all the ready glucose and some glycogen stores. Having carbs in your post-workout nutrition meal will help you refuel your body and restore the energy levels.(Read – how to gain weight )
4. Proteins – Muscles have to undergo an adaptation process. You need to include a protein source in your post-workout nutrition as it is the building block of muscles and body tissue and it also is responsible for the wear and tear of these tissues. A whey protein supplement or egg whites can do the needful.
Pre and Post workout nutrition during weight loss :-
Many a times my clients ask me if a post-workout nutrition meal is necessary as they are trying to cut down on calories for weight loss. Well a lot of you who follow a weight loss diet plan might feel that it is not important and that you don’t need those extra calories. Here is your answer.
If you have read my earlier article on Burning body fat for weight loss, you will know that the time factor is very important for burning of fat. Especially the 31st minute to 45th minute window in your routine.
What is equally important is the intensity of your exercise during that phase. Those who do not have a proper pre-workout meal will find it difficult to sustain and perform in that time window and fatigue will set in.
Post-workout foods for nutrition: –
Here is a list of options you could use as a post-workout nutrition provider.
1] Fruit smoothies + melons or grapefruit.
2] Egg white omlette with veggies / spinach / asparagus/ broccoli + lemon water / fruit juice
3] Skimmed milk with museli / wheat or bran flakes
4] Whey powder in a glass of skimmed milk
5] Stirred veggies with lean meat salad + lemon water / fruit juice
6] Grilled fish with multi-grain toast + lemon water / fruit juice
7] Lemon water with a fruit bowl.
8] Buttermilk with red cabbage salad
9] Pasta salad with scrambled egg white (specially for muscle builders)
10 ] Chocolate milk
11] Dry fruits and roasted nuts
Exercise and diet are two faces of the same coin. You cannot carry out a health goal with only one of it. Unless you combine diet and exercise optimum health goals are hard to achieve. Lose weight effectively.