Practicing yoga and following grandma’s cooking has become a trend these days. But it has been a part of Indian culture for centuries. Yoga emphasizes the simple principles of basic living. Practicing yoga regularly and consuming simple sattvic food helps us in maintaining our sanity during difficult times. It also helps in living a healthy and peaceful life. Here is a simple Indian sattvic diet plan for weight loss and healthy life.
The Ayurvedic Diet:
Ayurveda defines food into three categories namely sattvic, rajasic and tamasic that define our gunas or nature. Take the Ayurveda guna’s personality test. These foods influence a particular kind of energy that reflects in our thought process and our nature. It is rightly said, “we are what we eat”. These categories defines and reflects our health, behavior, thinking, and mental peace. Some characteristics related to the Ayurveda food pattern are as follows :
- Sattvic – Purity, health, harmony, and well-being.
- Rajasic – Stress, anger, activity, and restlessness.
- Tamasic – Dullness, laziness, and lethargy.
Chhandogya Upanishad states, “āhāra śhuddhau sattva śhuddhiḥ”. This means consumption of sattvic foods purifies the mind and become a part of our pure conscious. Food not only influences the thought process but also the behavior of an individual.
Balance of the three gunas is equally important in life. Thus we need all the three Gunas that are rajas, tamas, and sattvic to balance our health and living.
- Tamas guna regulates rest and sleep.
- Rajas guna inspires us to work towards our goals.
- Sattva helps to fulfill aspirations in life.
Yoga emphasizes inculcating more of the Sattva guna to nurture consciousness via a healthy body and mind.
3 Types of Ayurvedic Diet:
As the name suggests the rajasic food is rich in taste that pleases the tongue. It consists of aromatic spices, onions, and garlic. These diets are high in empty calories. It does not contribute to our daily nutrient requirements. Rajasic food according to Vedas weakens the digestive system. This diet consists of deep-fried foods, refined foods, coffee, tea, desserts, and all the comfort foods.
Tamasic diet means something which is not in tune with nature. It consists of foods that are stale, chemically processed, non-vegetarian foods. It also includes alcohol and cigarettes. Such foods are injurious to health in long run. These foods cause metabolic illnesses like cancer, metabolic syndrome as well as diabetes. Obesity-related disorders and illnesses related to the gut can also occur. increased intake of tamasic food makes the person lethargic and less productive.
A Sattvik diet means a very simple diet. It is a plant-based diet rich in fiber, low in fats, high proteins along with ample vitamins and minerals. Sattvik diet promotes life longevity, promotes good physical health as well as mental health. It includes seasonal fruits and vegetables, whole grains, pulses, sprouts, nuts, dairy foods. Sattvic foods according to our yoga Veda balances the person physically and spiritually. It makes you calmer, focused, serene, healthy, and very productive. These foods are devoid of onion, garlic, chilies, and preservatives thus they can be consumed by all age groups.
Not only the consumption but preparation of sattvic foods is also equally important. Prepare the food with mindfulness, care as well as love. This creates energetic vibrations that are absorbed by the food and enter your body during digestion.
Indian Sattvic Diet
Benefits of Indian Sattvic Diet:
- Weight loss: Sattvic diet comprises whole food grains, fruits, and vegetables. It is high in fiber, low in calories, as well as full of vitamins and minerals. This helps in reducing fat absorption, boost metabolism, high satiating effect, encourages slow chewing of food and reduces hunger pangs.
- Prevents Diseases: A high fiber meal keeps the cholesterol, circulating glucose, and fats in check. It is low in salt that helps to maintain blood pressure. The vitamins and minerals help in the prevention of cancers.
- Boosts Immunity: Sattvic food is rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Each food recipe is nutrient-dense. It has the maximum amount of antioxidants preserved. All these factors help strengthen our immunity and to maintain good health.
Food List for Indian Sattvic Diet plan:
Foods to Include :
- Whole grains and cereals: Whole wheat flour, Daliya, oats, quinoa, basmati rice, barley, millets, whole-wheat pasta, and noodles.
- Pulses and Legumes: Beans, green lentils, dals, peas, split dals, chickpeas, and sprouts.
- Nuts and oilseeds: Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, cashew nuts, brazil nuts, coconut, and pumpkin seeds. Sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseeds, and chia seeds.
- Fats and Oils: Olive oil, coconut oil, mustard seeds oil, sesame oil, flaxseed oil, and ghee.
- Dairy Products: Milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese.
- Non-dairy products: Almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, nut, and seed-based cheeses.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, papaya, cherries, melons, peaches, guava, fresh fruit juices, berries, dragon fruit. Grapefruit, prunes, grapes, lychee, mangoes, and pineapple. Persimmon, plums, pomegranates, and sweet tangerines.
- Beverages: Green tea, fresh fruit juices, vegetable soups, and juices.
- Vegetables: Green vegetables, lettuce, seasonal vegetables, beetroot, and bitter gourd. Broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, as well as carrots, cauliflower, celery, corn, zucchini, and cucumbers. Edible flowers, green beans, lotus root, okra, potato, sweet potatoes, turnips (sweet) as well as yams.
- Other – Honey, jaggery, maple syrup, and raw sugar cane. Watercress, fresh wasabi, rose petals, lavender flowers, and fresh coconut water.
Foods to avoid:
- Non vegetarian foods: Poultry, eggs, fish, beef, or any animal-based gelatin.
- Junk Foods: High cheese, fried foods, deep-fried, as well as creamy desserts.
- Processed foods: Packed foods high in preservatives, breakfast cereals, ready to eat foods, and pickles.
- Refined Foods: Refined flours, refined sugars, processed sugars, and bakery products.
- Beverages: Sugary sports drinks, coffee, tea, as well as alcohol.
- Root Vegetables: Onion, scallions, as well as garlic.
Indian Sattvic Diet Plan:
Breakfast: 1 cup ginger and turmeric milk + 8 – 10 pieces of Dhokla + 2 tablespoons green chutney OR 3 medium sizes Idli with Sambar and chutney.
Mid-morning: 1 fruit + 1 cup Lemongrass green tea.
Lunch: 1 cup Salad + 2 Chapati + ½ cup Brown rice or Boiled Quinoa + 1 cup Dal + 1 cup vegetables + 1 Glass Buttermilk.
Snack: 1 cup Turmeric Milk + handful Roasted fox nuts.
Dinner: 1 Cup Salad + 1 ½ cup Khichdi OR 2 small size Bajra Roti+ 1 Cup Kadhi + 1 Cup Vegetables.
Bedtime: 1 Cup Kesar Milk.
Ayurveda suggests sattvic foods keep you as close as you can be with nature. Try and consume organically grown and not genetically modified foods. It has to be without preservative, artificial flavors, or additives. A simple, Homemade, vegan meal is nothing but an Indian sattvic diet.