It seems like the gluten-free diet is the new in thing. As people across the globe are adopting a gluten-free diet, Indians are not far behind. But what exactly is a gluten-free diet? Gluten is a type of protein which is found in various food substances such as wheat and barley. Here we present to you a 1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians. This diet plan will help you plan you gluten free eating schedule.
Many people are unable to consume gluten in any form and if they do, they contract a number of Health issues. The most common form of gluten-intolerance causes the celiac disease. It can also cause osteoporosis, cancer, fatigue, anemia, irritable bowel disease, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis and lupus. Gluten is present in various foods that we eat every day – bread, biscuits, cake, cereals, pasta, soup, sauces and salad dressings.
How do you know you have gluten-intolerance?
Our body has different ways of indicating that it has a problem. The most common symptoms of gluten-intolerance include:
- Abdominal pain
- Excessive fatigue
- Unexpected weight loss or gain
- Thinning of hair
- Mouth ulcers
- Acid reflux
- Joint and muscle pain
- Inability to concentrate
- Numbness in legs
- Mood swings
- Anxiety and depression
- Irregular menses
Benefits of Eating Gluten Free Diet
Whether you are are gluten intolerant or tolerant, there are several benefits of following this Indian Gluten free diet plan, Some of them are stated below .
- Gluten free diets helps in Auto immune disorders
- Gluten free diets also reduce inflammation in the joints and thus helping in conditions like rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia.
- Gluten free diets are also commonly used in autistic children , as it supposedly brings improvements in such conditions.
- Gluten free diets have over all benefits on health and digestive system
- Gluten free has now become part of a healthy lifestyle. Gluten free, along with cutting carbohydrates, and eating more vegetables and fruit, help some people lose weight.
- Gluten free diets are practiced by weight watchers all across the globe for its weight loss benefits. Hence we came up with this 1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians. please read on to know what is the plan and how it works .
How do you go gluten-free?
Going gluten-free isn’t an easy task. Many people feel really frustrated when they find that they cannot eat so many foods. It also makes eating out a problem. A restricted diet certainly makes you feel like you have a serious disease and ironically you crave for just the things you’re supposed to avoid! Well, there’s nothing to worry about. Your body will take a little time to adjust to the change but eventually it will adapt.
Eating a gluten-free diet doesn’t mean that you stop eating all grains. There are various grains which do not contain gluten and can supply your body with all the required nutrients in sufficient amounts. These include wild rice, oats, brown rice, corn, Millet, amaranth, quinoa and buckwheat. These grains contain ample quantities of vitamins, minerals and fiber. There are various restaurants which specialize in gluten-free foods and make all the efforts to serve you sumptuous gluten-free dishes. here is a complete list of Indian foods that are allowed and that you need to avoid while following this 1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians
|Foods that contain Gluten||Gluten free food list|
|Wheat (All varieties)||All Fruits|
|bulgur wheat / broken wheat / Dalia||All Vegetables|
|Barley ( jau / Jaw )||All Seeds|
|Semolina (Rawa)||All Legumes|
|Refined flour (Maida)||All dairy products|
|Buckwheat (Fafar / Kuttu )|
|cassava (roots from which sabudana is made )|
|Millets like Jowar , Bajra ,Ragi|
|Tapioca / Sabudana|
1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians
While consuming an Indian gluten-free diet, one must take into account the fact that various Indian spices may also contain gluten. Here are a few gluten-free options that are really healthy:
- Vegetarian Dishes – One can prepare various vegetarian dishes that are free of gluten. Potato is used in preparing various dishes such as jeera-aloo, aloo-gobhi, aloo-mutter and all these are seasoned with cumin, coriander and red chili powder. Lady finger is another vegetable that is gluten free. You can prepare any of these vegetables with some gravy and serve it with brown rice. if you intend to lose weight with this gluten free diet , then choose healthier and low cal veggies like ridge gourds, Bottle gourds , Parvel , green leafy veggies like spinach and Methi .
- Soups and lentils – Most people in India love tomato soup and luckily it is a gluten free appetizer. Indians are really fond of eating lentils at night. These lentils are given a tempering using various regional spices such as cumin, mustard seeds, cilantro and cayenne pepper. These spices are cooked in desi ghee and poured over the boiled lentil to enhance the taste. Another legume dish which is gluten-free is Pindi Chana. Based on chickpeas, Pindi Chana is a hot favorite in northern India. Besides tomato soups , you can also choose amongst other healthy veggies for your soup opotion. Choose amongst spinach , carrot , mix veg , beet root , onion , corn and chowder soup . these soup are healthy , nourishing as well help in weight loss.
- Dairy Items – Cheese or paneer tikka can be made gluten-free by coating it in yoghurt in place of flour before placing it in a clay oven or a tandoor or griller . Shahi paneer or paneer makhni is a savory vegetarian dish with tomato gravy and it is free of gluten. Plain yogurt and mixed raita are both gluten-free side dishes and best when it comes to weight loss.
- Rice dishes – Indians love to eat rice in various forms . Pea pulao, biryani, curd rice, Himalayan red rice, sweet rice, spinach rice, jeera rice or boiled rice, Indians like them all. Just replace white rice with brown rice or wild rice. All rice based dishes can be teamed up with yoghurt and/or any other curries in a 1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians.
- Poultry and Meat – Various poultry, mutton and fish dishes can be prepared gluten-free very easily. Chicken tikka masala, Achari fish tikka, chicken korma, seekh kebab, lamb kofta kebabs, chicken salad and all time favorite butter chicken are all gluten-free recipes. chiken broths and steamed fish or grilled fish are best for weight loss.
- Breads – Indians are very fond of eating chapattis, parathas and naans with gravies and vegetables but unfortunately, these are off the limit since they all contain gluten. Well, you need not lose heart because there are still plenty of options that can be prepared without gluten. Some of these are idli, dosas, vada, papad and chana dal cheela. If you want to eat roti , you can have ragi roti , rice flour roti , bajra or jowar flour roti. All these can be combined with any curry and relished with chicken dishes too.
So combining all the mentioned tips and points given above , we have tried to formulate a 1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians.
1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians
|MENU||AMOUNT||CALORIES (KCAL)||PROTEIN (gms)|
|Luke warm water with lemon||1 cup||—–||——|
|Tea (without sugar)||1cup||35||4|
|Gluten free biscuits / Roasted fox nuts||2 / handful||56||–|
|Total calories-91||Protein – 4|
|Skimmed milk with sugar||1 glass||90||8|
|Vegetable poha / Mung dal chilla||1 Quater Plate / 2||205||6|
|Egg white bhurji||1 med bowl||150||7|
|jowar roti (without oil / ghee )||1 no.||130||3|
|Fruit Salad||1 med bowl (50- 60 gms)||40||—|
|Vegetable brown rice pulav||1 soup bowl||250||4|
|Carrot raita OR steamed fish curry||1 small bowl||75 / 120||3.5 / 6|
|Mix veg salad||1 bowl||30||2|
|Green tea OR Tea (without sugar)||1 cup||35||4|
|Puffed Rice Poha||1 bowl||100||3|
|Bajra roti (knead the dough with methi leaves )||2 medium sized||300||9|
|Mix veg OR scrambled paneer||1 med bowl||105 / 120||4 / 6|
|Curd (not required if you opt for scrambled paneer)||1 small bowl||30||1.5|
|ALL DAY||Total calories=1496||Total protein=50|
Here are a few gluten-free dishes that you can easily prepare at home:
- Roasted Chicken – This is one of the favorite dishes of almost every Indian and it has many followers across the globe. To prepare gluten-free roasted chicken you need the following ingredients:
- 12 chicken legs
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- ¼ cup yoghurt
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds
- 1 tsp gram flower
- Wash and clean the chicken legs.
- Prick the chicken with a fork.
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients and add the chicken.
- Use your fingers to rub the marinade all over the chicken and put it in the refrigerator for at least 4-6 hours.
- Heat the grill/over/tandoor and put the chicken pieces to roast till they are brown.
- Sprinkle some chat masala and serve with onion rings.
- Chatpati Aloo Tikki – If you wish to eat something tangy and spicy, you just can’t miss the street foods of India. Aloo tikki is a very filling snack prepared with potatoes. To prepare gluten-free aloo-tikki, you will require the following ingredients:
- 8-10 potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- Bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Boil the potatoes and allow them to cool a bit.
- Peel them and mash them in a bowl.
- Add the spices and coriander leaves and mix thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Make small tikkis with your hands and coat them with bread crumbs.
- When the oil is hot, put the tikkis in the pan for frying.
- Remove when golden brown.
- Serve hot with mint chutney!
Hope this 1400 Calorie Gluten Free Weight Loss Diet Plan for Indians be of help to you . if you have any queries regarding this diet plan you can write your questions in the comments and we would love to help you out.